What is Sparefish?

Elektrix

I know this is probably a pretty unimportant question, but I was wondering if there's even an answer.

Anyone know what Sparefish is or what it means? The Macross Plus song title "Welcome to Sparefish" has been stuck in my head and its been bothering me that I'm not sure what, if anything, it means or refers to.

Googling for sparefish turns up pretty much nothing but references to the song title, and it tries to recommend Spearfish instead.

It's most likely a ficticious name for a ficticious location. Can you remember the scene in the anime which the music accompanies? (I have a feeling that it's in the karaoke booth - so the images that are projected on the walls of the booth would be helpful.)

Also, I think this is one of those questions best served being posted in the Newbie Questions on Macross thread...

It's most likely a ficticious name for a ficticious location. Can you remember the scene in the anime which the music accompanies? (I have a feeling that it's in the karaoke booth - so the images that are projected on the walls of the booth would be helpful.)

Also, I think this is one of those questions best served being posted in the Newbie Questions on Macross thread...

Gotcha, I'd have to watch Macross Plus again - I seem to somehow associate it with some of the sort of desert scenes at New Edwards or some of the test flight scenes (it's got that western theme so it would seem to fit some of those desolate scenes).

-Elektrix

"Welcome to Sparefish" plays during Isamu's introduction to the YF-19 on the tarmac at New Edwards Base. Isamu is lost in his passion for flight, doing dives and banks with his hand until the the YF-19 is lifted into the hangar proper. The song acts mostly as a character establishing tune for Isamu, setting him up as a daring and rugged cowboy-like figure using a recognizable foreign tune to that effect. As for the meaning of "Sparefish" itself, I'm lost on that one :)

I'll bite: given the context of the scene, and the story, at that point Isamu is a spare pilot. A replacement pilot. In addition, he is a fish out of water.

However, it may not have that intended meaning, as fish out of water is very idiomatic. It may simply be a pajorative term to describe Isamu or the location. Or it may simply be the name of the location. It may not have any particular meaning at all, as it might have just been used as a "that sounds like a cool foreign word."