1/48 scale dioramas

Qrusader

I do not think you will find any pre-built dioramas in this scale. Even if you, it will either be very expensive or toys intended for kids.

The only kit I know of in 1/48 scale was a section of an aircraft carrier launch. I saw the actual thing and the base measured about 40 x 40cms and comes with all the trimmings, launch hook etc. I believe it was made by a company called Verlinden.

1/48 has historically been the realm only for aircraft models.

1/35 is the common large scale for "ground" based subjects. Tanks, infantry, AFVs, etc. I know some companies make ruined urban dioramas in 1/35 scale, some not ruined. But the ones I have generally seen are geared towards WWII era buildings. But even if you do find modern buildings in 1/35, you will have scale issues with your 1/48 VF. I'm not sure how much it will affect since I can't physically check my 1/35 & 1/48 models for the next couple of months

I'm afraid you will have to scratchbuild a modern / future urban setting.

As an alternative to buying or building, you can use your (digital) camera to take and/or the web to get backgrounds that you like and then print them to scale to display behind your 1/48's. Put them on foamcore or on V- or W-folded cardstock/posterboard standing up on end. You can also edit them in your photoeditor of choice to add damage, rubble, smoke, etc. (tip: keep it subtle if you do). You can easily switch backgrounds for a space scene, SDF hangar scene, Macross City scene, etc.

Along the same lines, if you get images of buildings, you can digitally "weather" & scale them, then stick them on jagged-cut foamcore/cardboard, etc. to simulate ruined buildings. Add wooden popsicle sticks, paint, and you're well on your way to a nice diorama.

Please post your results! Good luck & have fun! :)

As an alternative to buying or building, you can use your (digital) camera to take and/or the web to get backgrounds that you like and then print them to scale to display behind your 1/48's. Put them on foamcore or on V- or W-folded cardstock/posterboard standing up on end. You can also edit them in your photoeditor of choice to add damage, rubble, smoke, etc. (tip: keep it subtle if you do). You can easily switch backgrounds for a space scene, SDF hangar scene, Macross City scene, etc.

Along the same lines, if you get images of buildings, you can digitally "weather" & scale them, then stick them on jagged-cut foamcore/cardboard, etc. to simulate ruined buildings. Add wooden popsicle sticks, paint, and you're well on your way to a nice diorama.

Please post your results! Good luck & have fun! :)

Well so long as you don't have any ruins with doors, windows or steps, you may be able to get away with 1/35 scale ruins. However, you could also get foam insulation (denser than regular foam) and simply cut your buildings out of it. Paint it and voila you have scale building ruins...

There are so many possiblities with urban warzones... B))

There are absolutely TONS of 1/48 scale dioramas and bits and pieces of things. Most of them however are in the toy train industry. They call it O scale. You can find tons of stuff on ebay or any toy train shop or site. There will be lots of irrelevant stuff but some good industrial stuff and some good aircraft stuff too. There are some painted 1/48 aircraft stuff on ebay alot. Try ebay Item number: 120174580802 and that seller makes lots of pre painted 1/48 aircraft stuff. Great for dioramas with your valks. Also woodland Scenics makes lots of O scale figures and accessories, not a good quality as a 1/48 pro model but passable. More ebay acutions to check Item number: 320170847741 , Item number: 270176998958, Item number: 320171332202, Item number: 280163888456, Item number: 230182431371, Item number: 250177206699 , Item number: 300162460409. Put all of this stuff together with a nice backdrop and you have yourself a diorama.

• 2 weeks later...
There are absolutely TONS of 1/48 scale dioramas and bits and pieces of things. Most of them however are in the toy train industry. They call it O scale. You can find tons of stuff on ebay or any toy train shop or site. There will be lots of irrelevant stuff but some good industrial stuff and some good aircraft stuff too. There are some painted 1/48 aircraft stuff on ebay alot. Try ebay Item number: 120174580802 and that seller makes lots of pre painted 1/48 aircraft stuff. Great for dioramas with your valks. Also woodland Scenics makes lots of O scale figures and accessories, not a good quality as a 1/48 pro model but passable. More ebay acutions to check Item number: 320170847741 , Item number: 270176998958, Item number: 320171332202, Item number: 280163888456, Item number: 230182431371, Item number: 250177206699 , Item number: 300162460409. Put all of this stuff together with a nice backdrop and you have yourself a diorama.

O scale is actually 1:43, but very close to what you're looking for.