Subtitles for new Mac Plus Box Set

VT 1010

Since the new boxset does not have subtitles, I'm forced to watch to it untranslation. Unfortunately, my Japanese linguistic skills are still limited. Inspired by the work Hurin has done for the DYRL? discs, I'm considering adding subtitiles to new Mac Plus DVDs.

Macross Plus has been previously translated, so there shouldn't be a need for a new translation. I can't, However, seem to find much information on how to create subtitles. Furthermore, I'm not quite sure how to add the custom subs to the DVD. Would anybody know of a good tutorial? Do you think it would be possible to extract the subtitles from the US release of the OVAs and add them?

Hopefully, if I can get them subbed, I may post the sub files and intructions here.

OAV? You can try to extract them. Google it to find a slew of sites and utilities. Movie? Subs are hard-coded. Don't bother. Considering that the US release has been out forever, why waste time putting subs on the HD version? It suppose to be 100% identical except for the fact that it's HD-quality. If you know what their saying in the US releases, I don't see how it would be that hard to follow.

It suppose to be 100% identical except for the fact that it's HD-quality. If you know what their saying in the US releases, I don't see how it would be that hard to follow.

"HD-quality"- Dude THAT is reason enough, particularly with the Movie version where many believe they used a VHS tape in the DVD transfer!!

Essentially you will need to decrypt the DVD by running it through DVDFAb and then DVD Decrypter (in that order) to kill the multilayer protection (you will need to do both to get a clean copy, one or the other alone won't be enough).

Then you will need to demux the DVDs as per Hurin's instructions.

Once you have the raw files, you will need to get the subs. I'd suggest ripping them from the Manga DVDs.

Using the same decryption method to get a clean copy of the Manga DVDs, you can demux them and take the "srt" (sub files).

After that you will need to set up the time sync of the subs with the new video files in one of the various DVD authoring programs along with putting together a basic menu system and then re-encode the DVD (be prepared to get a DVD-9 sized file).

Then burn it, again I suggest a DVD-9 disc to maintain the quality of the video. (it should end up being similar in size to the original, unless you remove special features).

A lot of work, but in the end it will be something no one has... a high quality transfer of the shows with english subs.

Edited by Zinjo

I knew that the movie had hard coded subs, but I was hoping to take a shortcut with the OVAs. Since I had to make new copies to play in my Region 1 player, I thought I might try to add the subs in the process. I don't think it will be that easy. I've got to create all new subs for the movie. Luckily, an english translation already exists.

Thanks for the help, Zinjo. I'll try to do some more research and see if I can find some easier way. I'll post anything significant I can find in this thread. I'm sure others that have the new set would like subtitles as well.

I knew that the movie had hard coded subs, but I was hoping to take a shortcut with the OVAs. Since I had to make new copies to play in my Region 1 player, I thought I might try to add the subs in the process. I don't think it will be that easy. I've got to create all new subs for the movie. Luckily, an english translation already exists.

Thanks for the help, Zinjo. I'll try to do some more research and see if I can find some easier way. I'll post anything significant I can find in this thread. I'm sure others that have the new set would like subtitles as well.

If you succeed I'll be the first to want a copy... :p

Otherwise I'll need to cough up the cash to get the set sooner than I had planned... ;)