Rules for 'Garage Kits'?

IAD

I say, I was wondering...

How does the production of garage kits (if that's the phrase I want) work out, what with the copyright laws and what-not in place? Is it done under the 'fan works clause' that most anime companies seem to unofficially abide by?

Does it have to do with production run size, or... Is it just these things are off the radar altogether?

~Luke

I thought the industry always turns a blind eyes on garage kit (especially in Japan).

Logic tells me that as long as the garage kit does not make exact copy of a kit in production, the big company could care less.

Legally, I am sure if companies want to pursuit a small fry, their team of lawyers can come up with 10 million excuses to cease your producton (we've seen HG in action a while back on a MW member, didn't we?)

Edited by Mowe

Techically, at least in the US, unless you have a license (which tend to start in the 20K range) you can't legally produce a kit.

That being said, most GK manufacturers just fly under the radar. You find some sellers listing kits under generic names to disguise thier origins (like Arrowhead Battleship). Japan I think has the right idea, the Wonderfestival. An event where GK manufacturers can sell thier stuff without fear of reprocussions. And, as has happened, the legit manufacturers get to see whats out there and may buy the GK's masters to mass produce.

The only time Copyright law comes into effect is if you use a copyrighted name. Specific shapes and designs fall under IP laws (Intellectual Property) and are much more confusing. Most IP owners will license out the rights to certain things and let the licensee police things. Every now and again some GK manufacturer will get a C&D (Cease and Desist) and they'll stop producing said kit(s).

I was always under the assumption that garage kit makers (in Japan) had to apply and pay for a license to produce a kit, this is the reason why official Macross garage kits have the Big West sticker. Often the cost of the license is expensive and in proportion with the amount of garage kits the makers plans on making, which explains why garage kits usually have low production runs and are very expensive.

No one... i repeat NO ONE is making real money in kitting garage kits. No one is going to litigate them (besides sending them a Cease and Desist order) because they just won't get any money... the copyright owner would be entitled to profits, which are just waaaay too small to justify the legal expense.

No one... i repeat NO ONE is making real money in kitting garage kits. No one is going to litigate them (besides sending them a Cease and Desist order) because they just won't get any money... the copyright owner would be entitled to profits, which are just waaaay too small to justify the legal expense.

Quoted for truth. It's a labor of love for fans by fans.

Now the crappy recast houses, they are a different story, but they shouldn't be grouped in real GK manufacturers, and you know the old saying is true, you get what you pay for.

Quoted for truth. It's a labor of love for fans by fans.

Now the crappy recast houses, they are a different story, but they shouldn't be grouped in real GK manufacturers, and you know the old saying is true, you get what you pay for.

Too true Ive seen some really crappy recasts, some that would have been better if they just poured the resin into a box and let it set. That said some are as good as the originals.

• 16 years later...

I've bought from a few recast groups. E2046 has fairly good quality, but the more reruns a kit has had, the stranger the fit is. My Cordelia was a blast to make but took forever to cut and shave down lol

What I'm interested in is the legality of selling a finished kit? Like, as long as it's fairly obvious they're garage kits? I'm very much not professional enough to make exact replicas of real GKs or Figures, but I like to  add a flare of specialty to each project that you can't find in the originals. Also painting is expensive and I' running out of room-