VF-2RA customized artwork

grebo guru

My quest -- to give all Variable Fighters a variety of heads -- continues...

Considering that the VF-1 already has a zillion heads (A, D, E, J, S, T, AR, JR, SR, SOL, SDP, etc), and considering that Robotech is stupid, I've decided that the head of the "YF-1R" would be put to better use on a different model.

The result: the "VF-2RA".

Grebo

(Truth be told, I'm not 100% satisfied with this, from a graphics POV. The scan is kinda dirty, and I had to scale up the gun from a much smaller picture. I might redo this later on.)

post-4460-1163356041_thumb.jpg

post-4460-1163356069_thumb.jpg

Here's another one along the same lines: the VF-2SA.

The head is from the VF-1SR. Considering how superfluous the R-series is (although I love their Super Packs and intend to transplant them onto some other VF), and considering how much I like the VF-2JA, this transplant seems to make sense to me.

Sooner or later I'll transplant the VF-1AR head onto the VF-2JA as well, to give the Icarus a fairly complete lineup of head variants. The VF-2JA already has a J-type head, of course, so I haven't decided yet what to do with the VF-1JR's head... but it will be donated to some other VF, for sure.

Grebo

post-4460-1163438016_thumb.jpg

Abandon your quest post-haste please.

You were off to a promising start, but these are two ugly and downright awful designs. The "YF-1R" isn't even really supposed to exist, if memory serves... it was an animation mistake. Neither of these heads looks good attached to the body of the VF-2JA, they're both too busy, and frankly not nearly streamlined enough to make sense.

Sheesh! Well pooh-pooh on you, Kaiba! :p I'm gonna continue my quest whether you like it or not.

I think the VF-2JA is a pretty darn sweet design, so I want it (and the VF-2SS, etc etc) to have a more complete range of head-models.

As for the "YF-1R", I'm very well aware it's not supposed to exist. However, artwork (and toys!) of it do exist, and since I don't think it adds anything to the VF-1, I may as well try and repurpose the head design for one of the VFs that doesn't already have lots of head variants. It's not the coolest-looking head by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it fits right in with the heads of the VF-1A and VF-11B/C.

I have decided, though, that I'm NOT gonna assign the YF-1R head to the VF-2JA body as I do think their aesthetics clash. I'll more likely try reassigning the YF-1R head to the VF-3000 body, as this is another VF model with a shortage of head variant. And besides, the standard VF-3000 head also has three lasers.

As for the VF-1SR head, I gotta agree with Zinjo. I think it works really well on the VF-2JA body. B)) To my eyes, the VF-1R series' heads are very much in line with the design of the VF-2JA. In fact, I'm thinking that perhaps the best thing to do with the VF-1R series is to reassign all three heads (AR, JR, and SR) to the VF-2JA, and reassign the VF-2JA's head to the VF-2SS as it's J-Model head.

I still haven't decide, though, which VF to give the VF-1R's SPII packs.

Grebo!

You were off to a promising start, but these are two ugly and downright awful designs. The "YF-1R" isn't even really supposed to exist, if memory serves... it was an animation mistake. Neither of these heads looks good attached to the body of the VF-2JA, they're both too busy, and frankly not nearly streamlined enough to make sense.

At this point, it'll seem like I'm doing these things outta sheer defiance. (Truth is, it's just a bonus.)

Anyway, here's what I think is a really good result -- a VF-2JRA.

Yesssss... I pretty sure now that I'll try transplanting the 2JA head onto the 2SS body to get a 2JS model.

Grebo!!!

post-4460-1163491348_thumb.jpg

At this point, it'll seem like I'm doing these things outta sheer defiance. (Truth is, it's just a bonus.)

Anyway, here's what I think is a really good result -- a VF-2JRA.

Yesssss... I pretty sure now that I'll try transplanting the 2JA head onto the 2SS body to get a 2JS model.

Grebo!!!

Hmmm not too fond of this head, it doesn't look like the actual VF-2JA head.

You colored the bottom part of the two part heat shield as if it were the exposed canopy, that part is the other half of the canopy shield... FYI ;)

Though, I do look forward to the VF-2JA head transplant on the VF-2SS...

Edited by Zinjo

Hmmm not too fond of this head, it doesn't look like the actual VF-2JA head.

Well, it is. Someone posted an image here a while ago with art (that I've seen nowhere else), of the AR, JR, and SR heads, plus front/side/top views of the VF-1R+SPII. This head is from that image.

You colored the bottom part of the two part heat shield as if it were the exposed canopy, that part is the other half of the canopy shield... FYI ;)

Look at the lineart again. I didn't touch up that area at all. The bottom part of the heatshield can, apparently, retract to reveal a scondary sensor turret. You'll notice I didn't color it this way on the VF-2RA I did earlier.

Though, I do look forward to the VF-2JA head transplant on the VF-2SS...

I'm glad! I do too. :)

Greebo

PS - attached is the lineart I was referring to, plus a VF-2ARA.

post-4460-1163525690_thumb.jpg

post-4460-1163525761_thumb.gif

Jeez, cut him some freakin slack. Just because they aren't "official" mecha designs doesn't mean they are subject to complete arbitrary dismissal. I think a lot of the designs look good BECAUSE they're not official. They look very hightech in comparison to what could be seen as very plain and simple head designs from "official" valks.

Well, it is. Someone posted an image here a while ago with art (that I've seen nowhere else), of the AR, JR, and SR heads, plus front/side/top views of the VF-1R+SPII. This head is from that image.

Look at the lineart again. I didn't touch up that area at all. The bottom part of the heatshield can, apparently, retract to reveal a scondary sensor turret. You'll notice I didn't color it this way on the VF-2RA I did earlier.

I'm glad! I do too. :)

Greebo

PS - attached is the lineart I was referring to, plus a VF-2ARA.

Now THAT "A" head works much better! :D

w00t! Glad ya like.

Yeah, I think I'm definitely repurposing all the VF-1R series' unique elements (heads and SPII) for the VF-2JA. Except for the gunpod. That'll go to some other model. (Haven't decided yet; maybe the VF-5000?) I'm already working on a pic of the VF-2JRA equipped with SPII gear.

The VF-2JA's head is almost definitely gonna go to the VF-2SS as its "J-model" head.

Now THAT "A" head works much better! :D

PS - Thanks for the support, CdnShockwave!

Hmmmm... I'll admit the VF-1JR and VF-1AR heads work fairly well for the Icarus's body... probably because the JR head is so similar to the one that was already on the unit. And the A, well, it just seems to fit the more angular profile of the VF-2JA. The SR head and the art error R head just don't seem to fit... the SR head is too streamlined and just doesn't blend well, and the R head is just plain ugly.

Though what the SR head would fit well on would be the VF-2SS.

Arf arf!

The SR head and the art error R head just don't seem to fit... the SR head is too streamlined and just doesn't blend well, and the R head is just plain ugly.

Ah, I understand now. By "streamlined" you mean, like, "rounded" or "smooth", right? (As opposed to the angular form of the VF-2JA.) I hadn't followed that before. Understood.

I dunno about the YF-1R head. It's not gorgeous, but it's also really not out of line either. I mean, it's basically a VF-1J head with extra guns... The 1A's head has always been ugly, but it's still functional and acceptable. But I do think the 1R head will look better on the VF-3000, which is also pretty ugly (yet still cool).

Anyway, I've done another head transplant: I put the VF-2JA head onto a VF-2SS body. It's in the 2SS thread.

Grebo!

Thanx for the compliment, Kaiba.

Yeah, I understand what you mean about the MII VFs. I love them myself. I'm not a huge fan of M7, but it has plenty of elements I like -- the ships, the Macross 7 itself, the VF-17, etc etc. Lotsa good stuff there.

Personally, I don't think being a fan of MII and being a fan of M7 have to be mutually exclusive, but it sure seems to happen a lot.

2JA head on 2SS body... epic win.

I'm kinda defensive about my Macross II valkyries... have been for ages, since my own brother's a die-hard M7 fan.

Personally, I don't think being a fan of MII and being a fan of M7 have to be mutually exclusive, but it sure seems to happen a lot.

Prolly because both are equally panned and criticised by the Western fan community. Mac II is slammed by the SK minions as it didn't have his "holy touch" and Mac 7 because it was essentially a kids show that some try to elevate beyond it's station.

Both failed in areas and both succeeded in areas.

I like 'em both, but tend to lean toward Mac II over Mac 7.... (any further comments can be seen in many many threads on these boards... :rolleyes: )

Glad you like it, Jin Kune Do. :)

Here's the Gerwalk. No head-switching here (since you can't see it), but I did bring together the standard gerwalk picture, a more dynamic stance for the legs (lifted from the transformation sequence), and the gunpod (lifted from the missiles-equipped image). And colorized, of course.

Enjoy!

post-4460-1163971081_thumb.jpg