Analyzing 'Post-SW1 Psycho/Sociology'

grebo guru

Greetings all,

I'm no newbie to Macross (been following it since it started), but there are some rather specific technical issues I've been wondering about. See, I plan on running a Macross game sometime soon and so there are several Macross details I'm looking to learn more about.

(For those who are curious, I'll be using R. Talsorian Games' "Mekton Z" system rather than Palladium, which I find unsuitable. I wrote up specs for the Macross Plus VFs which were printed in an issue of V.Max magazine back in the '90s. They represent the kind of stats I plan on using.)

Anyway, here's one of my questions. If the subject(s) I bring up were discussed/answered in previous threads, I'd appreciate it if someone would point me to them. And if any of these matters have not been covered, I'd be thrilled by a discussion. Thanks!

Post-SW1 Psycho/Sociology

Dude, almost all of humanity and historical civilization was destroyed in SW1. Think about America's national psyche after 9/11. Kinda bleak. Now think of Japan's national psyche after WWII, what with the firestorms and A-bombs and all. Very bleak. Now imagine the human population of Gundam -- 50% of the human race died in the first half of the One Year War; the anime doesn't delve into this as much as it should, but the general psyche of people should be pretty damn dark indeed. (It does explain the nastiness of the Titans, though.)

Now I'm trying to imagine what kind of mindset people would have after the catastrophic, apocalyptic Zentraedi bombardment of Earth during Space War 1. I gather that only about a million humans survived it -- most of them in Grand Cannon bases, on the Moon, in Space Colonies, and aboard Macross itself, right? 1 million out of 6+ billion... that means only 0.0167% of the human race survived. 99.983% of the human race died. I mean damn. That would leave its mark on the population's mindset! I'd expect humankind to be pretty messed up. Add in "naturalized" (shrunk-down, culture-acclimated) aliens who would, realistically, outnumber the human survivors, and you've got quite a strange social environment.

Plus, clones! Are there any details on the human cloning efforts (described in the timeline) performed to increase the population? I'm wondering if each clone was an exact duplicate of the "clonee", or were the clones different somehow? Could it be that many people in the post-SW1 world have one, if not several, if not dozens of identical-looking clones living all over settled space?

And one more issue to think of -- almost all of the survivors or Space War 1 would, it seems to me, be military personnel or scientific personnel (space and lunar colony staff, etc). I should think this, combined with post-apocalypse survivor mentality, and the imminent threat of further alien attacks, would lead to a highly militaristic society...

Has there been much discussion of this? Any canon material on the subject? Thanks in advance for your input, everyone!

Grebo

Please try to avoid starting topics with nearly identical headers in a relative short amount of time. It does looks like your spamming the board. Also, please remember to use the newbie thread (even if your not a newbie) to find answers to common/short questions.

Has there been much discussion of this? Any canon material on the subject? Thanks in advance for your input, everyone!

Unfortunately, no. There has been no discussion about this. However, take into account that A) They have started colonization, and by the 2050s, have spread out throughout the galaxy, i.e. watch M+ and M7 to see how people are B) the story tends not to focus on the people as it does the main characters of the story.

All I'll comment here is on the cloning. From appearances, I'd say Protoculture cloning technology isn't used for duplicate copies, so much as just artificially creating people quickly & easily. Likely it just involves mixing DNA in a machine in much the same way it's done with sex, but faster, cleaner, & far less fun. The real question is how the educational system is done, as in order to create a competent battle ready force, they'd have to pop out of those tubes with all the base life knowledge they'd need, such as language, technical skills, etc.