Mazes and Monsters....

Hey,

someone at the World of Greyhawk boards posted two reviews of this "classic" POS movie from the '80s where Tom Hanks goes nutso and thinks he's living in D&D.

Since there are gamers here other than me, I figured I would post the links to the reviews plus some other related websites that should give most of you a chuckle. :)

Review #1: Pro

Here is a nifty little piece of sh*t called Dark Dungeons that obviously used Mazes and Monsters as its basis. Read for a laugh...

Oh....Dark Dungeons....Ive lost my soul to the Devil cause I played D&D ::SOB::

Now...for someone that actually watched the movie and reviewed it that I can understand....

Review #2: What a stinker this thing was.....

Another review...this time by a game industry writer...Bill Coffin of Palladium Books.

Review from RPG.net

Now...for an even better laugh....here is White Wolf's answer to Dark Dungeons....passed out at GenCon '02 (God...I would have loved to have been there to read this.....these guys know gamer humour).

cthulhu_green.gif

Demonic Deviltry....about Demon: the Fallen. WARNING...requires Adobe Acrobat 5

And finally...

the only website devoted to Mazes and Monsters (at least according to the website owner). I love this stuff....

Mazes and Monsters website

Edit: Added review from RPG.net

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

And that idiot Jack Chick rears his beady little head again...I know that some people just laugh at his tracts -- I get physically sick trying to read his bigoted (my family's Catholic -- he has Catholics on his long list of people going to Hell), manipulative and intolerant ravings.

As for "Mazes and Monsters," That's just another example of the long, long, incredibly looooong term of dues-paying Tom Hanks had to go through until he was ready for his recent leading-man turns in movies like "Saving Private Ryan." I'm not in any hurry to rush out and watch this one. BTW: I used to play D&D (and am looking to get into a group again), but never sold my soul to the Devil. Naw, got more money by selling it to the Traveller's Group (sorry about the very obscure MST3K reference there :p )

Seriously... this is one of my all-time favorite bad movies. I have a very good friend who is completely obsessed with it and quotes it incessantly.

It's just so terrible that it works on levels that no one ever imagined.

And that idiot Jack Chick rears his beady little head again...I know that some people just laugh at his tracts -- I get physically sick trying to read his bigoted (my family's Catholic -- he has Catholics on his long list of people going to Hell), manipulative and intolerant ravings.

Heh...

Chick is a tool. He was friends with the fella that wrote the book for Mazes and Monsters. :rolleyes:

I used to play D&D (and am looking to get into a group again), but never sold my soul to the Devil.

I would say that is most people who play. ;)

I would love to find out what old Chick thinks about Demon: the Fallen where you play a Fallen Angel released from the Abyss after millenia of imprisonment only to find the world is a cesspool and God doesn't care. Im sure he would stroke out reading about how you could play a Ravener that decides its better to Unmake Reality.

BTW, for any of you that have read Demon, the first novel in the Trilogy Ashes and Angel's Wings is freakin AWESOME! Greg Stolze is a genius. I can hardly wait for Days of Fire, the trade paperback with Lucifer's Tale and Warnings (ala The Book of Nod and Revelations of the Dark Mother). Stolze supposedly put a code into Days of Fire that can be cracked. Also, there are supposed to be references to every game in The World of Darkness including the newest: Orpheus.

Chick is a tool. He was friends with the fella that wrote the book for Mazes and Monsters. :rolleyes:

Maybe he was an unpaid consultant for the movie? :p

Maybe he was an unpaid consultant for the movie?

No doubt. He's an ass and half. White Wolf based the fictional Father Ramos off of Jack "ASS" Chick. Im sure they've gotten hate mail from him and his organization.

The absurd notion that some of the original D&D writers went to occult people in the Lake Geneva area to "get the rituals right" is out and out horse $hiznit.

Funny enough....every year at the end of NecronmiCon here in Tampa, the local religious nuts come out and say prayers for our doomed souls. I subscribe to the Robert E. Lee school of religion...its all personal and you keep it to yourself. Spreading the word my butt.

Walking down the street today on my way to the post office some guy walked past me saying something about saving my soul and handed me a small booklet with one of Chick's cartoons in it. His comics are good for a laugh because they're ridiculous, but I feel sorry for anybody that actually thinks such things.

As for the role-playing game thing, I've been gaming since I was 9. My Dad was a long time role-player. When I was a young teenager RPG books were the only things my parents could get me to read, and not only that I learned a lot of vocabulary from them , (how many 12 year olds knwo what 'melee' means?). AND they force kids to use their imagination instead of sitting in front of the TV all day. RPGs did nothing but good for me as a kid, and so I tend to get angry when people like Chick throw aroudn all sorts of false accusations about them. If anything, they're way better than reading some biased backwards-thinking drivel about salvation.

Walking down the street today on my way to the post office some guy walked past me saying something about saving my soul and handed me a small booklet with one of Chick's cartoons in it. His comics are good for a laugh because they're ridiculous, but I feel sorry for anybody that actually thinks such things.

I can't stand those people. They have given Christianity a bad name in this country, because people look at the Jack Chicks and Pat Robertsons of the world and think that even the local monsignor is like that. And then, then they have the temerity to say that the country is turning against Christianity because of 1) devil worship 2) other, "false" religions 3) Pokemon/Harry Potter/D&D when if they'd look in a mirror and realize that they're the face of Christianity today (by dint of being the only ones talking), they'd realize that it's them not the religion or the grand majority of people in it, who are ther problem.

Edited by Pat Payne