Packaging A Built Model....

e_jacob77

Hi all,

I know that some of you guys have done customs for others, or had to move from one place to another.... Well here's your chance to help out some others! I am about to commission a hasegawa yf-19 fighter model, and the person who is doing all the work, :blink::p , and I as well, have no idea how to package the fighter when complete........So, how could it be done guys?? The person who is doing the work thinks he needs a pretty tight box so the aircraft doesn't move, but I am thinking that we need it to be a little loose to allow give with handling abuse......

How have you guys done this?? Thanx to all who reply, I also appreciate your time!!!

Think destroid and armor. I was asked by a friend to help design a container that could be dropped three stories and keep an egg intact inside. Students were only given a coffee can and an egg. In a nutshell, the egg was put into the center of a foam cage shaped like a 3D cross that extended out to the sides of the can. Whichever leg of the cross strikes the ground, absorbes the shock. Together they all help absorb vibration (like turbulance in flight or in a mail truck).

I'd advise making some kind of SOFT foam core that's arms extend out to the box sides. The next step is to put it all into a stiff box. IF the box gets crushed in a corner, the foam should take up the shock. The person doing the work is right about keeping the package tight, ONLY to the degree that you don't want it shifting around inside of the box.

Newer computer boxes have a similar design if you've seen any recently. The box can even be punctured and the contents be alright.

If it that's valuable to you, just plain packing peanuts won't do. I've packed stuff in them, putting it into the middle. All the peanuts get pushed to the sides sometimes and one side of your goods is unprotected. Hope that helps. I've had LOTS of experience packing and shipping on a proffesional level. - MT

When Ryuji mailed my painted kit, he broke down the kit into 4 large pieces and wrapped them in baggies. The small fragile parts were packed within their own small boxes. As for packing materials he used primarily air pillows and I believe (it's been a while) a little newspaper.

It worked because nothing broke, and this was a very very fragile kit. All I had to do was glue the main pieces back together and it was done. Oh yeah, it was also shipped from Brazil to Maryland, USA. :o

Edited by TheLoneWolf