How To Apply Iridescent "optical Coating" Effect

ghostryder

I've found a couple of methods that work for the "eye piece." If you have clear material, use bright silver/chrome on the backside (mirrored plastic is best if you have some or get a piece of an old toy). I usually use a Tamiya Chrome paint marker. On the front side, use a clear green paint, like Tamiya X-25. This will give you depth and an almost internally lit appearance. Just make sure you use white glue or other non-solvent based glue.

If you want to represent cameras like you see on the VF-1D anime closeups, you can drill shallow holes that don't penetrate all the way through. Then chrome coat and clear coat the outside. That will give you an excellent 3D effect. If you can cut your own from a thicker piece of plastic, you will get more depth. A coat of Future will protect the whole thing.

You can also get clear colored plastic off a drink bottle. then coat the back of it. It's harder to do, but you can coat the back side with a chromed coating like from a sticker or other material too.

I had some great results on a VF-1S and J using the first method. Hope that helps. - MT

I read an article (that I thought I'd saved, but it's not in my modeling folder) about using some confetti for this purpose. They're little colored clear bits you'd find at a party supply store or something. They're perfect, as they are VERY iridescent, plastic, come in many colors, and it's like one buck for a bag of them. Will try to find the exact article.

Specifically, I think they're ~1/4in squares of colored clear plastic that has a very iridescent/rainbow effect.

This stuff, or something similar: (there's green ones in it)

::edit:: somehow my URL disappeared, here's where I was pointing to: http://www.crafta.com/opel-ab.html

Edited by David Hingtgen

Dave, I read that too somewhere. I also forgot about plastic gems. You go buy a cheap bag of plastic gems (multicolored) that are chromed on the back and file/sand them to shape and you're done.

I also remember that somebody makes clear pearlescent that simulates the non-reflective glass on tanks and laser optics, can't remember who.

If you can't take the head apart and your commited to redoing the eye piece, drill it our CAREFULLY and pick the rest out with a hook tool of some kind. Just a crazy idea. - MT