Newb Questions...

motogenius46

And if you're like me and you just gotta' have one... you can always customize a VF1S 1/48 toy into Max's from DYRL.

:)

Tip for you Motogenius: Don't take offense when people on here answer your questions in a rude or volatile manner. I think so many people have been Macross fans for so long they've completley forgotten what it's like to be new to it all. On this site there's no such thing... okay, for the most part there's no such thing as stupid questions, only a--hole answers. :D I haven't been a member for that long, yet I always know everytime I ask a new question I'll be referred back to some thread from 3 yrs ago in a not-so-friendly-way; but it's entertaining.

Edited by GutsAndCasca

A bit off topic, sorry.

Most of the people here had been Macross fan, model builder and member of this forum for so long that it can be a bit intimidating for new comer like myself.

Some of my posts had been ignored. :) But as Brian (GutsAndCasca) said, don't just give up yet.

i've got some newb questions!

so i'll post'em here and save thread space, then pray someone sees this and doesn't ignore it over the first post :)

hmm.. guess ya could say i'm thread jacking, but it seems pretty finished anyways :ph34r:

i've lurked for years and always LOVED the stuff seen in here... i'm jealous of this so i wanna try!

posted once long ago i think, but got chased out, i can't remember.. i think it was when everyone was PO'ed by Harmony gold and the Yamato/Toycom dispute

sooo...

1. is there a VF-22 customization kit for the Yamato YF-21 out and about someone may have made and would make agian and sell ? i recall something like Yamato was going to, but then pulled it last minute.... and on the 21, anyon know a way to replace/rebuild the yellow antenna on the head? the tip busted off of mine and i think it got sucked into the vaccuum, or the cat ate it, i'm not sure, but i never saw it agian, honestly i think the house ate it.

2. anyone know how i could fix/or replace a broken tail joint on my 1/60 Yamato Max VF1A? da danged blasted bugger fell and snapped that thing off :/ i've got both the parts still (i think), its the joint piece itself. nothing for glue to stick to, so thats out.. and putting something to stablize on top would interfere with its function, and the bottoms to rounded to stick something there :/ lest someone knows a material that'd work

3. on the 1A, since its a spare anyways, should i go TV max 1A on it or try my luck and a Minmei Guard thing, and since i'm on it, are them decals able to be in the 1/60 scales?

i've yet to PM whome i was told, so may as well flash it here while i'm on the subject.

4. tips for a customization newb? lessons learned, or site that teach? tools/chemicals prefered?

5. anyone/place i can find customization info outside of here for added aid?

6. O/T for this forum in general, but i'll get it out, anyone have a spare YF-19, even broke or not but still there, they'd sell? i lost my chance to get that bugger long ago, and i'm still beating my skull into the wall everytime i see a pic of it.

Hey Motogenius and Grimlock, welcome to the boards!

Moto - looks like your questions have been answered.

Grimlock,

1. You should be able to clean out what's left of the antenna and cut a new one from sheet styrene, sand a little maybe, paint and then supreglue it into the area where the old antenna fit in.

2. I may have a part from a broken 1/60 valk that could help you eith your backpack problem, but I don't know when I'll get a chance to dig out my 1/60s and check. You may want to post in the Yamato parts exchange thread or in the wanted section here. Pics would also be good if possible, so that people know exactly what you need.

3, 4 and 5. You really will need to search the forums for some old threads. There have been a lot of very informative threads put up here in this section. Anasazi's decals are great. Krylon fusion plastic paint seems to be a good durable finish for customizing toys, but it's for plastic, not metal so you would have to match the colors for the diecast parts of the 1/60. Customizing the Yamatos can result in very cool variations and everyone loves to see new customs so go for it!

6. Search in the toys section, and I believe there is a new YF-19 coming out, so you might be able to pick up a new and hopefully much improved version pretty soon.

And hey, don't let a few crabby posts push you away. Learning new stuff about Macross is one of the best things about this site! ;)

Hey Motogenius and Grimlock, welcome to the boards!

Moto - looks like your questions have been answered.

Grimlock,

1. You should be able to clean out what's left of the antenna and cut a new one from sheet styrene, sand a little maybe, paint and then supreglue it into the area where the old antenna fit in.

2. I may have a part from a broken 1/60 valk that could help you eith your backpack problem, but I don't know when I'll get a chance to dig out my 1/60s and check. You may want to post in the Yamato parts exchange thread or in the wanted section here. Pics would also be good if possible, so that people know exactly what you need.

3, 4 and 5. You really will need to search the forums for some old threads. There have been a lot of very informative threads put up here in this section. Anasazi's decals are great. Krylon fusion plastic paint seems to be a good durable finish for customizing toys, but it's for plastic, not metal so you would have to match the colors for the diecast parts of the 1/60. Customizing the Yamatos can result in very cool variations and everyone loves to see new customs so go for it!

6. Search in the toys section, and I believe there is a new YF-19 coming out, so you might be able to pick up a new and hopefully much improved version pretty soon.

And hey,  don't let a few crabby posts push you away. Learning new stuff about Macross is one of the best things about this site! ;)

415257[/snapback]

2 pages doesn't have much to go through... heh

any online hobbyshops recommended? may as well tack that on there, there aren't any near where i live... lest i wanna take a 200+ mile drive :/

there may be one under the radar somewhere.. i'll hafta poke around

i used some flat white spraypaint on an old jetfire and his legs, once awhile back, came out real nice with a clear coat over the legs, think it took an extra coat to blend proper, mayhap i can try fer that agian..

Edited by GrimlockCW

whelp, got a temp patch going with the 1A fer now :p small piece of solid tin i dug out of my scrap heap of junk worked fine as a back brace to it till i can figure something else out, but it'll be easier to get a look at things when working this way, bit loose, but i had to make it that way to keep it from breaking right off when put to motion.

also found out my other one was a factory fault, the right shoulder joint under where the intake connects was never attached! luckily the screw and all were there so a small screwdriver and 5 min fixed that :)

either the factory did it or the store where i baught it had done it, it was the display one (in gerwalk mode) when i got to it, so the box was also under counter trashed (simple fix there to since i'm a packrat with my old boxes) :lol:

i don't see the store having done it, as the figures in grand shape looks untouched minus myself and the store clerk who fumbled with it before i took over, and that joint has to have a screw removed to position/remove, and it was a pain to get to it to boot..

hmm

bah...

still unsure what direciton i wanna go with this sucker.. i need something to remove the paint/decals first though i guess :/

can't wait till payday.. VF0S in my cart and i'm digging for chemicals! WOOT! lol

anywho, haven't said it yet, so the true point of this post is, thanks for the info thus far! i can't wait to get this project rolling! :)