Macross On Hd?

Culverin

tape/dvd/ld etc any source readily avalable is allways better then braodcast.

Depends on reception, among other things.

unless we get bigger bandwith, this is true. it is. I rarly watch broadcast tv. if at all.

i think your confusing digital tv with hd tv.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television

I'm aware of the diffrence.

I COULD have listed every step along the way, but chose to go for the extremes only and specify that there was a range in between.

Personally, I don't think a set should legally be allowed to call itself a DTV set if it's a standard-definition display.

The mass market has no comprehension of the diffrence between DTV(any ATSC source), HDTV(only the higher ATSC resolutions), and non-ATSC digital sources. And while things are better than the early days(when I gather TVs would only display those portions of the ATSC spec that were < or = their native res), I still think an HD resolution should be required after all the hype about superior image quality.

the goverment wants to standard to be changed to digital. The method of delivery not the actual content. When we reach 2009, there is no obligation for the channels to do hdtv signals. they will be required to delivery it digitally but not the content.

I've seen some odd uses of SAP before. Got one station that plays the weather radio robot on SAP. If I recall, another keeps a semi-constant newscast running on it.

Interactive TV's been done before too, actually. The early days of cable did it.

I'm not expecting a much better showing on either feature this time around.

i mean like dvds. you ave spanish, iapanese, etc. mulitple ones. also have a sporting event where you can switch viewing angles. You can have diffrent cameras broadcasting simeltaniosly.

Agreed.

The movie industry likes region codes, sadly. And any new video standard initiative has to recieve the movie industry's support.

Far as games go...

Sony's abandoning region coding for games on the PS3, but the system is a joke. 360 sticks with the "publisher's choice" policy from the XBox 1. And publishers choose lockouts.

I don't recall any statement from Nintendo about the Wii, but given the NES STARTED regional lockouts in games, I don't have a lot of hope.

nes/snes/n64 etc. all had a primitve lockout. their cartidge shape was diffrent. otherwise they where fully compatible. te gba etc where never region coded. I think sony leared from their psp. Xbox 360 only as a few titles which are region coded. Most are universal play. Depending on the title you can import and play them.

here is a list of none region coded xbox 360 games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_...region_encoding

i found this very funny article. lol.  Now it needs to show how dumb bush is to the rest of the populas and i'll whole heartedly support it. 

http://www.tvpredictions.com/spears063006.htm

412937[/snapback]

Ignoring the political angle...

So HDTV reveals to the world what the more intelligent people already knew? Sounds like a plus to me. :)

412942[/snapback]

yeah. though they need to be carefull. this could effect alot of other stars as well.

Edited by Ali Sama

i mean like dvds. you ave spanish, iapanese, etc. mulitple ones. also have a sporting event where you can switch viewing angles. You can have diffrent cameras broadcasting simeltaniosly.

Yes.

DVD didn't make a lot of use of it beyond multi-lingual disks, either.

nes/snes/n64  etc. all had a primitve lockout. their cartidge shape was diffrent. otherwise they where fully compatible. 

Actually, that was only PART of it.

All NES releases outside of Japan had a regional lockout chip(initially. The NES2 has no lockout chips, because Nintendo no longer cared).

Japanese carts, lacking chips, worked in no one else's decks. The form factor was also diffrent, both to avoid the look of a game console(remember, retailers thought video games were a dead fad, so Nintendo had to go to a lot of effort to even get the NES into stores) as well as to add pins for the lockout chip.

Beyond that.... there were TWO DIFFRENT lockout chips. One was used in the Americas, another in Europe. While the form factor for both regions was the same, carts were NOT interchangable.

The SNES continued the use of 2 seperate regional lockout chips, and added form factor variances so they could use the US chip on japanese consoles without carts being swappable between regions(I suspect the SNES actually uses leftover NES stock, especiallg given much of it's design was done with an eye towards backwards-compatibility).

I'm not entirely sure how the N64 lockout is set up, but I guarantee it isn't form-factor-only.

te gba etc where never region coded. I think sony leared from their psp.

Right. No portable has been, because there's a good chance that, for example, someone in the US armed forces might be stationed in Australia or something.

Xbox 360 only as a few titles which are region coded. Most are universal play.  Depending on the title you can import and play them.

If you actually go through the list, a lot of those games ARE locked.

nes/snes/n64  etc. all had a primitve lockout. their cartidge shape was diffrent. otherwise they where fully compatible. 

Actually, that was only PART of it.

All NES releases outside of Japan had a regional lockout chip(initially. The NES2 has no lockout chips, because Nintendo no longer cared).

Japanese carts, lacking chips, worked in no one else's decks. The form factor was also diffrent, both to avoid the look of a game console(remember, retailers thought video games were a dead fad, so Nintendo had to go to a lot of effort to even get the NES into stores) as well as to add pins for the lockout chip.

Beyond that.... there were TWO DIFFRENT lockout chips. One was used in the Americas, another in Europe. While the form factor for both regions was the same, carts were NOT interchangable.

The SNES continued the use of 2 seperate regional lockout chips, and added form factor variances so they could use the US chip on japanese consoles without carts being swappable between regions(I suspect the SNES actually uses leftover NES stock, especiallg given much of it's design was done with an eye towards backwards-compatibility).

I'm not entirely sure how the N64 lockout is set up, but I guarantee it isn't form-factor-only.

ok. that was wierd. Considering, i have japanese snes games that work fine on my usa system. if they have the same region chip, then it explains why it would work.

for n64, you need an adapter to adjust the shape of it to play on a usa n64.

I remember seeing the super adapters which allowed, all nintedo cartidges to work on a n64. from the nes onward.

te gba etc where never region coded. I think sony leared from their psp.

Right. No portable has been, because there's a good chance that, for example, someone in the US armed forces might be stationed in Australia or something.

yep. I think sony realized how much money they where makign due to impor gaming. llol.

Xbox 360 only as a few titles which are region coded. Most are universal play.  Depending on the title you can import and play them.

If you actually go through the list, a lot of those games ARE locked.

413064[/snapback]

yeah,. i added it afterwards. the ign article i read before lied!!! lol.

ok. that was wierd. Considering, i  have japanese snes games that work fine on my usa system.  if they have the same region chip, then it explains why it would work.

for n64, you  need an adapter to adjust the shape of it to play on a usa n64.

That's all that's in it?

Sheesh, I'd've thought Nintendo would know better by that point.

I remember seeing the super adapters which allowed, all nintedo cartidges to work on a n64. from the nes onward.

Those cheated. They had NES and SNES clones inside them.

The clones ignore the lockout chip, because they don't have a matching one.

413071[/snapback]

You can't spell ignorant without IGN, as they say. :)

I've got a dim view of the gaming media as a whole.

ok. that was wierd. Considering, i  have japanese snes games that work fine on my usa system.  if they have the same region chip, then it explains why it would work.

That's all that's in it?

the snes was really easy to fix. The usa sytem has 2 pegs in it which block the japanese cartridges due to their shape.

this is what i did to mine.

http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/snescon.htm

the chip you said, only stops you from plaing pal game on ntsc systems.

could you play pal games?

413071[/snapback]

You can't spell ignorant without IGN, as they say. :)

I've got a dim view of the gaming media as a whole.

413128[/snapback]

rofl

That's all that's in it?

the snes was really easy to fix. The usa sytem has 2 pegs in it which block the japanese cartridges due to their shape.

this is what i did to mine.

http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/snescon.htm

the chip you said, only stops you from plaing pal game on ntsc systems.

I know that. The first run of US SNESes didn't even have the blocks.

I thought that they upgraded the electrical side of the lockout scheme after the SNES, since they knew physical diffrences were meaningless. But I don't care enough to look it up right now.

could you play pal games?

Assuming they weren't timing sensitive, or Super Mario RPG(possibly other SA-1 coprocessor games, I can't recall).

All the lockout chip does on the NES and SNES is muck with the reset button.

On the NES it pulses reset once a second until it syncs with the chip in the cart. On the SNES it holds reset until it syncs with the chip in the cart, which is a bit cleaner from an aesthetics perspective.

This is due to it's origins as a jury-rigged hack to a system that had no lockout provisions. More complicated configurations would have necessitated actual hardware changes that would require software modification.

Mario RPG has a modified cart-side scheme that prevents ROM reads if the lockout chip hasn't synced. This was mainly to prevent europeans from importing the US version. Disabling the lockout chip through either passthrough dongles or cutting it's connection on the board was popular in Europe due to the crappy state of the market there.

You can also do software detection of refresh rate to augment the regional lockouts as well, so a disabled(or even swapped) lockout chip won't enable you to play the game(though a video mode switch will, and I think that's possible on the SNES).

There's no comprehensive list, but a lot of software did this. Again, it's only effective to segregate along the lines of Europe/US+J.

Annoyingly, one of the games that DID do it was Terranigma, which is supposed to be a very good game, but the translation was only released in Europe.

I remember I used to have a adapter to use a game from the red/white box to the U.S SNES, it must have cost me 20 bucks when I picked it up in HK. It's been years, and I think it worked too other than no translation.

I remember I used to have a adapter to use a game from the red/white box to the U.S SNES, it must have cost me 20 bucks when I picked it up in HK. It's been years, and I think it worked too other than no translation.

413334[/snapback]

They were promising translations? That's funny.

413334[/snapback]

413350[/snapback]

No, they weren't. I don't know if you're old enough to remember the first generation NES system. The red & white system was never sold in the US.

Back then NES and SEGA roms are mainly sold on floppy disks in HK, bootleg of cause but we didn't care at the time, both system have add on after market floppy drives that plug right in the cartridge port. Those drives sit right on top of the consoles, and some of them can translate the Japanese menu and display text into English, on most games anyway. Games back then were simple, so menu items translation was no big deal.

The red & white nes had those disk drives too, but I never owned one. Those games cartridges were different size than the grey SNES in the U.S, the adapter worked as an extension to the cartridge, and also remap the connectors. I only used the adapter on a couple of Japanese games.

Animated series, especially older or lower budgeted ones on HD is a laughable concept. There's no point.

There is no further level of detail that higher definition would allow you to see. If anything, it would accentuate the flaws in the animation and cause disappointment.

The Sega Megadrive lockout displayed the message that the game could only be played on NTSC systems.

Also, the Megadrive and Genesis had different sized cartridge slots and the Megadrive even had a cartridge locking mechanism which was sort of like a lever connected to the power button that mechanically locked a cartridge into the system via a slot in the side of Megadrive carts.

413334[/snapback]

413350[/snapback]

No, they weren't.

Then why did you throw in that they didn't translate it?

I don't know if you're old enough to remember the first generation NES system. The red & white system was never sold in the US.

I know the NES is radically diffrent in design from the FamiCom.

Back then NES and SEGA roms are mainly sold on floppy disks in HK, bootleg of cause but we didn't care at the time, both system have add on after market floppy drives that plug right in the cartridge port.

I know about copiers too.

I also know the diffrence between ROMs and ROM images.

The FamiCom also had an official disk drive that was discontinued largely because pirates had adopted it as their preferred format.

Those drives sit right on top of the consoles, and some of them can translate the Japanese menu and display text into English, on most games anyway.  Games back then were simple, so menu items translation was no big deal.

I call bulllshit here.

Even today there's no way to do an auto-translator. Not even for even just menus.

You were playing hacked ROM images and didn't know it.

The red & white nes had those disk drives too, but I never owned one. Those games cartridges were different size than the grey SNES in the U.S, the adapter worked as an extension to the cartridge, and also remap the connectors. I only used the adapter on a couple of Japanese games.

There's a lot more in a FamiCom->SNES adapter than remapping cartridge pins.

While the SNES was undoubtedly designed with backwards-compatibility in mind, the final result was NOT compatible.

The "adapters" contain an entire NES clone inside them, and use the SNES solely for controller input.

The Sega Genesis, however, WAS backwards-compatible. Aside from making SMS carts connectable, all the Power Base Converter had to do was tell the Genesis it was in 8-bit mode instead of 16-bit mode.

I am talking late 80's early 90's, all the translation with those games are 'start', 'continue', 'end' etc. from Japanese to English, keywords only. Back then in HK all the games were bootlegs, nobody use original cartridge. I got mine used in some street market, and they weren't hacked, just old.

I am talking late 80's early 90's,  all the translation with those games are 'start', 'continue', 'end' etc. from Japanese to English, keywords only. 

Yeah, I know what you mean.

What you describe isn't possible TODAY.

Back then in HK all the games were bootlegs, nobody use original cartridge. I got mine used in some street market, and they weren't hacked, just old.

No, they were hacked. It's the only way for there to have been any translation at all.

Actaully, I lie. It's possible the original games were like that.

A lot of original japanese games have the basic stuff in english. Heck, the FamiCom controls are even labelled in english(actually, all game systems since then have been).

Japan's wierd about that for some reason.

Edited by JB0

I am talking late 80's early 90's,  all the translation with those games are 'start', 'continue', 'end' etc. from Japanese to English, keywords only. 

Back then in HK all the games were bootlegs, nobody use original cartridge. I got mine used in some street market, and they weren't hacked, just old.

No, they were hacked. It's the only way for there to have been any translation at all.

A lot of original japanese games have the basic stuff in english. Heck, the FamiCom controls are even labelled in english(actually, all game systems since then have been).

413530[/snapback]

a lot of mecha games are like that. gundam etc. I have played a good amount of imports. there are a ton of games with english menus etc. macros plus game edition is practiclly english as are others.

413530[/snapback]

a lot of mecha games are like that. gundam etc. I have played a good amount of imports. there are a ton of games with english menus etc. macros plus game edition is practiclly english as are others.

413846[/snapback]

FamiCom Macross was actually what reminded me of that nonsense.

"TO START PUSH"

But it was even more prevalent in the NES era, sometimes with humorous results(such as Rally-X's CHARRANGING STAGE, or hte above mentioned Macross title screen).

It's bad enough that many 1st-gen NES titles can be found in a version that contains a FamiCom game board and a FC->NES adapter(identifiable by weight. Famicom game+adapter carts are slightly heavier than their NES-native version).

Both versions use identical ROMs, so it doesn't matter which you have unless you're looking for an adapter.