Gedo Senki: Tales From Earthsea

whoa... does the man have no bounds?  What's the story about anyway? :-p

392202[/snapback]

The movie is not being directed by Hayao-sensei but by his son, Goro.

Earthsea is Ursula K. Le Guin's fictional world and the setting of some of her short stories and novels. Apparently the movie is based on the 3rd Earthsea novel The Farthest Shore.

Here's a brief synopsis (of the novel) from wikipedia:

Throughout Earthsea a strange malaise is spreading. Magic is losing its power; songs are being forgotten; people and animals are sickening. Accompanied by the young prince Arren, whose true name is Lebannen, Ged, also known as Sparrowhawk, now Archmage of Roke, leaves the island to find the cause of the problem. After a journey which takes them to the literal end of the earth, and into the land of the dead, they confront and defeat the mage Cob, whose magic has opened a doorway between the worlds. But Ged must sacrifice all his power to close the breach.

Wow, I didn't even know Hayao had a son, much less one who was following in his footsteps.  This is wonderful news!  The trailer looks as marvelous as every other Ghibli film.

392324[/snapback]

I read that Hayao is pissed. He doesn't think his son is ready to direct but somehow the son got the job anyway. I heard he's so mad that the two are refusing to speak to each other. I think I read that in Anime Insider or something.

Never saw the TV Series, though now I wish I had.  What channel did it run on anyways?

392221[/snapback]

Sci-fi. It was crap.

392232[/snapback]

I'll second that... utter garbage.

The anime version, however, looks very promissing.

I hope Miyazaki (or the Ghibli Board??) is wise enough not to play favourite. I knew he had a son looking after the Museum but very little is known about his ability or involvement with any Ghibli films in the past <_< .

Also, Miyazaki has a tendency to cut in when he senses the production is less then his expectation. Didn’t Howl’s Moving Castle’s first director got fired and he had to wear the “director" title till the end of the production?

Anyhow, just glad the old bugger is still making films :rolleyes::rolleyes: . This time I’ll try not to read too much about pre-production, learnt my lesson with Howl’s Moving Castle.

The movie is not being directed by Hayao-sensei but by his son, Goro.

392205[/snapback]

Wow, I didn't even know Hayao had a son, much less one who was following in his footsteps.  This is wonderful news!  The trailer looks as marvelous as every other Ghibli film.

392324[/snapback]

I read that Hayao is pissed. He doesn't think his son is ready to direct but somehow the son got the job anyway. I heard he's so mad that the two are refusing to speak to each other. I think I read that in Anime Insider or something.

392341[/snapback]

Once they reconcile they can co-direct a killer Ghibli production about their story. :p

392324[/snapback]

392341[/snapback]

Once they reconcile they can co-direct a killer Ghibli production about their story. :p

392386[/snapback]

I can see it coming. Ghibli Senki.

• 2 weeks later...