Cool Video Of The F-22 Raptor

Kamion

Hmm, even the gun only exposes itself momentarily. I knew it was the case for other ordnance (missiles, bombes, etc.) but I didn't think it'd be the same for the gun.

Anyways, I hope the jet's as successful as the F-15 (or surpass its performance) which it replaces. Those are big shoes to fill.

I heard the Japanese MIGHT be interested in their own version of the F-22, in the same vein as the F-15J.

Hmm, even the gun only exposes itself momentarily.  I knew it was the case for other ordnance (missiles, bombes, etc.) but I didn't think it'd be the same for the gun.

Anyways, I hope the jet's as successful as the F-15 (or surpass its performance) which it replaces.  Those are big shoes to fill.

I heard the Japanese MIGHT be interested in their own version of the F-22, in the same vein as the F-15J.

387132[/snapback]

Yeah. The hidden-gun was something revealed some time ago. It's even reflected in games as in Ace Combat 4 and 5.

It's said that the Raptor highly surpases the good old Eagle. Wouldn't think the USAF would go to replace the Eagles with the Raptor if that was not the case.

Still, I believe the Black Widow (YF-23) was a far better looking aircraft. Thou the role orientation was somewhat different from the Raptor, and that was the main reason the USAF went to select the Raptor as their front line fighter. Shame.

Yeah. The hidden-gun was something revealed some time ago. It's even reflected in games as in Ace Combat 4 and 5.

It's said that the Raptor highly surpases the good old Eagle. Wouldn't think the USAF would go to replace the Eagles with the Raptor if that was not the case.

Still, I believe the Black Widow (YF-23) was a far better looking aircraft. Thou the role orientation was somewhat different from the Raptor, and that was the main reason the USAF went to select the Raptor as their front line fighter. Shame.

387140[/snapback]

G Kuroryuu, I rememeber seeing an episode of Firepower on the Military channel and they showed a squadron of 5 F-15's that decided to go up against two F-22's to see if the F-15's could tangle with them in air combat but they all got served. I also agree that the YF-23 looks far better than the F-22 because of it's innovative sci-fi UFO like design, but the reason why it didn't win the competition against the F-22 was because of one thing; it didn't fire a missle. How retarded is that?

Edited by Phalanx

387140[/snapback]

G Kuroryuu, I rememeber seeing an episode of Firepower on the Military channel and they showed a squadron of 5 F-15's that decided to go up against two F-22's to see if the F-15's could tangle with them in air combat but they all got served. I also agree that the YF-23 looks far better than the F-22 because of it's innovative sci-fi UFO like design, but the reason why it didn't win the competition against the F-22 was because of one thing; it didn't fire a missle. How retarded is that?

387153[/snapback]

NOPE.

It could fire missles but the F-22 was farther in development in regards to testing. Also the F-22 was a more conservative design using technologies that were more mature in comparison to the YF-23. The sad thing is noone may ever know just how far the YF-23 could have excelled. Its said to be stealthier. Also Northrop and mcdonnal douglass were not doing that well at the time with cost overruns and delays(A-12 anyone?), in comparison with lockheed, who was doing much better. So politics and less risk played a part in choosing the F-22. THe reason noone makes such a big fuss about it like the whole superhornet/tomcat debate is because the F-22 purely outclasses the plane it is supposed to succeed(the F-15).

NOPE.

It could fire missles but the F-22 was farther in development in regards to testing.  Also the F-22 was a more conservative design using technologies that were more mature in comparison to the YF-23.  The sad thing is noone may ever know just how far the YF-23 could have excelled. Its said to be stealthier.  Also Northrop and mcdonnal douglass were not doing that well at the time with cost overruns and delays(A-12 anyone?), in comparison with lockheed, who was doing much better.  So politics and less risk played a part in choosing the F-22. THe reason noone makes such a big fuss about it like the whole superhornet/tomcat debate is because the F-22 purely outclasses the plane it is supposed to succeed(the F-15).

387168[/snapback]

The A-12 Avenger II was General Dynamic's baby with McDonnell Douglas being one of its partners on the project. GD was one of Lockheed's major partners and despite the controversies that GD had with the A-12 program, that didn't seem to stop the Air Force from picking the F-22 over the F-23. Ultimately the F-23 was probably perceived as being the more expensive and complicated aircraft to manuacture and of course it probably didn't hurt Lockheed to fire an AMRAAM and a Sidewinder.

Someday we'll see the F-22 REALLY show off its moves, rather than "gotta be more impressive than a base model Flanker without revealing everything" demos.

This probably should have gone in the Aircraft Vs thread, especially with Roy cleaning house lately...

387153[/snapback]

It was not even a contest, the Raptors got confirmed kills on all the Eagles before the Eagle pilots even knew they were there. One pilot said there was no sign of the F-22 until it flew over his cockpit, no radar trace.