Painting Camo

Greyryder

I need some good ideas for painting camo patterns. I'm doing a custom Transformer that turns into an armored personell carrier. (Cyertron Defense Hotshot) The plan is to put down brown camo patterns over an olive drab base.

To be clear, I'm looking for good techniques, not links to patterns. I was just going to freehand it with the airbrush, but I'm affraid of screwing it up, that way. I really have no idea, what I'm doing.

I'm using Model Master acrylic paints.

Don't laugh, but one idea I keep seeing pop up is using Silly Putty. :p Push it flat into the shape you want. Then use it again later. I think it was in the last Fine Scale Modeler that had a whole article on it. Another good "non-bleeding" method is liquid mask if you can find some/order some. Let your paint set up for a couple days at least to cure and prevent it getting lifted by your masking material. Sometimes it helps to put a clear coating on before your upper coatings. Might be a good idea for your project. It'll take extra abuse. Hope that helps.

G'Day,

It would depend on what type of finish you want to achieve with the camo scheme.

If wanted soft edges,

http://www.cobraleader.ath.cx/models/image.../gal_il2_04.jpg

I would recommend an airbrush with low air pressure and "draw and fill in" the camo scheme - may take awhile to paint the entire model, but the results are worth it.

If you want a hard edge to the paint job, like

http://www.cobraleader.ath.cx/models/image..._spitfire07.jpg

then use masks, like tamiya tape, silly putty, liquid mask with the airbrush. The use of these will depend on the type of camo scheme your doing - splinter or SEA, etc.

If you go for soft edge scheme, use a soft pencil - not lead pencils as they show up through the paint job (well the ones i've used have), that way you can markout where you want your scheme. I put a dot of the paint I want in that area so that I know I won't stuff up - especially on complex patterns.

If you do "stuff up" re-apply the base coat and start again.

Anyway, have fun with it.

Cheers

Mark

Tried and true soft-edge method:

Cut out the shapes you need on thin cardboard, thick paper, etc. Place them on the model, but loosely. Like, make a loop of tape, or several layers of tape, underneath the mask itself. Or, curl the edge of the mask up a bit. This will allow just a bit of "controlled overspray" under the edge of the mask giving a soft, feathered edge. The further the mask sits above the surface, the wider the overspray pattern and the softer the edge.

This method is for those of us who can't freehand camo yet. :)

I freehand mine and always use a low presure on my airbrush. double action helps. Theres a good example in the thread linked below. All it takes is a little practaice and youll get the free hand soft edge pattern down no problems.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...253&hl=big+tank

Edited by HWR MKII