Good News For Mgs Fans

• 2 months later...
Really, a movie based on Metal Gear Solid would leave most of the content out. A lot of it is "game filler" that doesn't advance the narrative, and isn't very interesting to watch.

I would rather an animated movie. I can't imagine the fight between that cyborg ninja guy and the metal gear translating well to live action. He jumps into the air and flips around and stuff - much cooler to see in a pseudo realistic anime setting where all kinds of crazy stuff is allowed to happen. (ie people telling thier life story before dying, having flash backs, us caring for the bad guy because they had a horrible childhood experience, all the usual anime cliches)

When the resident evil movie came out and they had milla doing the off-the-wall jump kick on that dog, and the dodging of those lasers, I thought: that is so videogamish.

Now when you watch an anime movie like say Ghost in the shell and you see kusanagi doing her acrobatic flips and dodges to get away from the four legged tank shooting her, that is acceptable in animated form because it damn well looks cool. But in a movie you wouldn't want those kind of thing to happen. But that is why I like animation in the first place. All kinds of crazy stuff can happen including videogamish actions and flashy moves.

Case in point: Streefighter II

You didn't really see guile do his sonic boom on bison in the live action movie because it would have looked damn well silly.

But in the animated movie I can totally accept it, because if you think about it, we are all used to those kinds of super moves from watching shows like dragon ball and reading comics.

Mortal Kombat was ok because the videogame has a basis in reality with the sprited being live motion video of people.

There is a delicate balance between retaining the things that made the game cool, and not doing things that a movie-going audience who is not familiar with the game, would find silly.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Now when you watch an anime movie like say Ghost in the shell and you see kusanagi doing her acrobatic flips and dodges to get away from the four legged tank shooting her, that is acceptable in animated form because it damn well looks cool.

I muist've missed those parts. I only remember the steaming angst. :p

Citing the GitS movie as a positive example is a lousy way to make a point.

But in a movie you wouldn't want those kind of thing to happen.

The Matrix did well enough.

Case in point: Streefighter II

You didn't really see guile do his sonic boom on bison in the live action movie because it would have looked damn well silly.

I thought it was because the people that did the movie just didn't care.

There were so many OTHER things wrong with that movie that whether or not Guile threw a sonic boom was totally irrelevant.

The Matrix did well enough.

The matrix is closer to a hong kong action movie in terms of stunts but slower, floatier and with lots of camera rotation.

In anime they don't float in the air unnaturally like that. They have weight. When they jump, it is charged with energy and looks powerful, not floaty.

When in a gunfight, they don't cartwheel in slow motion, they move gracefully more like a cat and in a very natural way. But when done with animated characters it looks right with just the right amount of tension in thier muscle but with a suggestion that they're actually light-enough of frame to make it 'feel' as if they pounced with the force from thier own move rather than artificially pushed or pulled in a direction by wires.

When neo dodges those bullets with his crotch pointed forward, you know he is doing that while inside the imaginary world and to be honest it looks half assed. Like he wasn't really in control of himself doing it. Compare this to the way Jubei from ninja scroll jumps with lightning speed into the air and the camera quickly cuts to him slashing his blade to cause compressed air to hit that rock guy in a sudden controlled, co-ordinated move and you can't compare.

Now with live action, you don't get that, and even if you somehow tried to, a movie-going audience wil not accept it because it looks unnatural.

This is actually one of my gripes with the cg fight scene in the second movie where neo fights the 100 agent smiths. The physics just feels wrong, when neo bashes them into buildings. They don't react with the right kind of energy and feel like when they get hit, it is like they kind of float upwards rather than be shot like a cannonball into the buildings as if bashed by a huge weight. (think of what happens when you flick a piece of cardboard with your finger - it flies across the room at sudden speed accelerating very sharply.) It's hard for me to explain but to me it felt a little fake.

Now evertime I see a bullet time action scene in a live action movie I feel as if it was put there for the sake of it, not to show frames that highlight a dramatic action. (which in anime happens like when a major character get killed or wounded or something) It just seems like it is abused and when done, slows the flow of everything rather than makes the fight seem more exciting. (you know how in "the warriors" movie when they poor guy gets his head slammed into the toilet? That is an example of good use of slowing motion for added effect that draws out attention to a very damaging move - like the equivalent of slow motion used on a knockout punch in a boxing match)

The matrix is a good attempt (and so is crouching tiger hidden dragon)but there are things like when a characters run up walls and stuff like that, that just 'feel' wrong when you look at them. As if they are levitating in the air with magic as opposed to jumping.) It's hard for me to explain but it just feels wrong in live action to see it than it does in anime.

It's the main reason that when you see Ryu do his hurricane kick in the animated movie, you can believe it would happen because of the way they him move gracefully and naturally as if they were really hovering on a cushion of air generated by thier own spinning kick and pay attention to how the other guy getting hit reacts to that kick and his whole body spins from the blow before he smashes to the ground with his whole body in a twisted mess. In a live action it just wouldn't look natural and convincing so they avoid doing it. This is why I like an animated medium because you can do stuff that you won't see in live action.

The cyborg ninja guy, taking on a mech all by himself sounds ok, him jumping in the air at great height sounds ok, people dying dramatically and giving a big speech is fine, but just not for a live action medium where you expect a certain amount of realism you can believe is possible in the real world and not a pseudo realistic uiniverse that is perfectly acceptable in a comic book with comic book-like physics which emphases dramatic flair and style over realism. I can much more believe kusanagi moves like some acrobat in anime when she backflips up a staircase with minimum effort than I can in live action with a real person who has none of the balletic grace of a fictional 2d character.

Resident evil is a perfect example of putting stuff where stuf doesn't belong. Everytime they show that bit where the girl jumps off the wall in slow motion and does a spinning kick to the dog, (something that didn't even happen in the game I might add) I get the feeling they are merely putting in these flashy bullet time sequences because they feel they have to for commercial reasons, not because it feels right to put something like that in there. It feels contrived. Mortal Kombat movie escapes this from the beginning because people can accept this is a fantasy martial arts movie where the characters have supernatural abilities (like how we can totally accept neo doing crazy stuff because he is inside the matrix and can't do it in real life) and the in-game characters are just digitised people. (not drawn with comic book style proportions like street fighter where people may have impossibly big hands, long ape like arms, exagerated features, moves that only look good in animated form - ie the psycho crusher)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I was just saying... moveigoers WILL accept a film with superhuman stunts. The specific speed or "feel" wasn't really factored into that statement.

Now evertime I see a bullet time action scene in a live action movie I feel as if it was put there for the sake of it, not to show frames that highlight a dramatic action.

Yeah. Immediatly post-Matrix, it was REALLY bad. If there'd been a 3 Stooges movie made in that time frame, I GUARANTEE that someone would've done a slow-mo camera-spin pie in the face.

Fortunately, that trend slacked off fairly fast.

The matrix is a good attempt (and so is crouching tiger hidden dragon)but there are things like when a characters run up walls and stuff like that, that just 'feel' wrong when you look at them. As if they are levitating in the air with magic as opposed to jumping.) It's hard for me to explain but it just feels wrong in live action to see it than it does in  anime.

That's a matter of personal perspective.

Me? I get more worked up about spaceships coasting to a stop than people running along walls.

Actually, I think I pissed some people off in the theater once. Was watching The Core, and I kept bursting into laughter at totally inappropriate times because it was just so blatantly WRONG.

Resident evil is a perfect example of putting stuff where stuf doesn't belong. Everytime they show that bit where the girl jumps off the wall in slow motion and does a spinning kick to the dog, (something that didn't even happen in the game I might add)

Well, if we're gonna ding the movies for adding stuff that isn't in the game, we can throw out the entire script of every video game movie ever.

I get the feeling they are merely putting in these flashy bullet time sequences because they feel they have to for commercial reasons, not because it feels right to put something like that in there.

Yeah... I think they were on the tail-end of the bullet-time trend.