Model Or Car Paints?

DatterBoy

The Tamiya thread has got me thinking. I am currently doing custom jobs on Joke machines and 1/48's and have seen a lot of great looking customs using airbrushed paints.

Right now, I use FUSION and looking to try car paints as they are considered the most durable and likely to hold up to transformations.

Which should I use, Model paints or Car paints? Which can stand the wear best? I like the FUSION since I don't own an airbrush so if I went model paints, I would likely rely on brushing. Lately, spray paints have been giving me bubbling and adhesion problems despite lengthy surfacwe preptime.

Brushing model paints:

- Would it go on evenly?

- How durable is it?

- Will sealing it and coating it make it strong enough for multiple xforms?

- How thick does the coat become?

Any info you all have would help.

I have used car paint on my 1/55 customs to paint the main colours and then added acrylics to the smaller details. seal them in a good lacqure and add on your weathering etc and they are good to go.

Once dry you can play with em and they take the knocks. The only problems I have had is:-

You have to spray in light layers if using masking tape as car paints are really good at creeping on small model/toy parts. Also make sure you dont add to much or in some places any paint to joints and such that have clearance tollerences, as this can lead to a modle/toy that wont transform or that the paint gets worn off or chips and makes your custom look naff.

Most of that is common sense but its all stuff you forget when your madly painting trying to get it all done over the weekend before you have to go back to work. :blink::blink::huh::angry: