Vf-1s Clear Version...

johnybgood18

Hi guys, I just received a VF-1S, clear green version. In all honesty, the reason I bought this kit was for the spedial edition decal sheet!

But... Now that I have the kit, I was wondering what to do with it! I know clear plastic is a b*h to work with... I'm not a newbie, as some of you have seen what I can do, but clear plastic... never ever did a full kit!

Here is what I thought of doing...

I would paint the interior of all part metallic silver (gun metal?). I would also like to find a clear filler... if such a thing exists! I thought about using CA glue as I know it has some gap filling abilities and can be clear too... The sanded joints would be polished and coated with Future, just like a canopy.

I would decal the kit with regular markings (no custom here!) and do a black wash for the panle lines.

And, of course, the mandatory Future clear coat to top all that beautiful work!

Impressions anyone? Ideas? Comments? I'm waiting... :-)

Thanks again!

C

I thought of going crazy and actually making the "guts" for one. Your idea sounds good though. You can use super glue for a clear filler, BUT clean all around with Isopropyl or something to get all oils and fingerprints off. I've forgotten to do that and it looks like CSI crime scene evidence! :lol: Maybe you could "paint it" using transparent colors for the whole transparent "thang? :huh: "

I had thought about getting one, but was worried about sticking it together. Hasegawa Vf1`s arnt the best aroung the cockpit area when it comes to lining em up.

I would be interested too hear about and see anyones efforts .

The translucent colours thing is a great idea

Personally, I'd be trying two-part epoxy rather than CA glue - they vary in hue, but I've certainly had completely clear and colourless epoxy before. It's dead strong, it's typically thick enough to do some filling with as well, and it doesn't discolour so readily as cyanoacrylate... but on the down side it takes ages to cure and it stinks to hell while it does it, so you'd certainly have to be patient...

Well, that's a lie - personally I'd just be assembling the kit as normal and painting over it, I don't care for clear kits at all. But that's just me. ;-)

Personally, I'd be trying two-part epoxy rather than CA glue - they vary in hue, but I've certainly had completely clear and colourless epoxy before. It's dead strong, it's typically thick enough to do some filling with as well, and it doesn't discolour so readily as cyanoacrylate... but on the down side it takes ages to cure and it stinks to hell while it does it, so you'd certainly have to be patient...

Well, that's a lie - personally I'd just be assembling the kit as normal and painting over it, I don't care for clear kits at all. But that's just me. ;-)

367794[/snapback]

LOL... yeah, I thought about just building it up and paint over it... but... I think it might be different, why not try to make something interesting out of it?

One thing I know about CA is the white film they leave over a surface... kinda annoying! I didn't think about epoxy tho.. I'll give it some thoughts! Or maybe, just pure resin?

Well... later...

C

Well, these might help... :rolleyes:

http://www.robotechresearch.com/picture_ar...trike_small.jpg

http://www.emulationgalaxy.co.yu/images/ma...ss.battloid.jpg

http://www.emulationgalaxy.co.yu/images/ma...oss.gerwalk.jpg

Any other questions? ;)

Yes, but what the heck to put inside that? :blink: Just random technical parts from other kits, I'd think.

368709[/snapback]

You should be a watchmaker in 3rd generation to do that! :p seriously, that's too complex, but if you took some noticeable parts there and then used the random parts method, it could be at least done. Still, in 1/72... there's not THAT much space to do that... But... Somebody should do that anyway.

Edited by Sdf-1

You should be a watchmaker in 3rd generation to do that! :p seriously, that's too complex, but if you took some noticeable parts there and then used the random parts method, it could be at least done. Still, in 1/72... there's not THAT much space to do that... But... Somebody should do that anyway.

368809[/snapback]

Yeah It would rock the house.

Yeah, I toyed with the idea of doing a clear version with guts - but only for a second and then I came to my senses!! :p

Too bad its a clear green one and not a colourless one.

I think you can just use regular tube stuff cement, it dries quite clear - and use more so that it oozes out of the joint, you can then use that to sand down the seam (that's what I do for normal seams - less filling - no putty matching needed) and the cement solvent takes on the colour of the styrene anyways.

I'd love to see what you do with it - post shots!

Thanks guys for all your inputs. I personnally never thought about doing the guts... too small and not that much space inside to do that.

As far as the glue in concerned, I think wmchen has good idea there... mixed with a little testor liquid cement, it might do the trick and no putty needed... Now, the only problem would be in trying to keep the paint inside the plastic parts!!! hmmm...

Oh well... I guess it'll be a study in trial and error!

Thanks all...

I'll post pics as soon as I start this project and have any to post!

C

Yeah, I toyed with the idea of doing a clear version with guts - but only for a second and then I came to my senses!! :p 

Too bad its a clear green one and not a colourless one. 

I think you can just use regular tube stuff cement, it dries quite clear - and use more so that it oozes out of the joint, you can then use that to sand down the seam (that's what I do for normal seams - less filling - no putty matching needed) and the cement solvent takes on the colour of the styrene anyways.

I'd love to see what you do with it - post shots!

369105[/snapback]

• 3 weeks later...