Fanracer animation at end of SDF Macross Special

ewilen

Actually, I don't think HG had anything to do with the cover art. A member here (though I haven't seen him around in quite a while), Garoquel made them. He ran a page called Macross Milcomnet.

Apparently AnimEigo asked for the wierd wireframe design style. Though I guess it could have been HG not wanting any competing artwork, who knows. Irregardless, as nice a guy as he is, he was responsable for the crappy compression on the images that were used in the finals. I saw the artwork a few months before it went to press, hell, I saw the full color preliminary artwork (which was similar, just full color, very nice too I might add), and those images I was shown had the same bad compression bleeding.

On the bright side, I did help fix a couple typo's, Minmay's age on the second volume was almost listed as 16 in an episode listed before her birthday!

Oh yeah, that's right, it was garoquel who did the cover art for the DVD's. I also remember seeing his original designs, they were indeed very nice! But, since they mostly consisted of 15th Anniversary Mikimoto artwork, HG didn't have the license to those so he wasn't able to use them. At that point, he was limited to what HG had given Animeigo, and that wasn't even a whole lot since the Robotech DVD's had already had first picks. Honestly, I don't like the R1 DVD designs, but given the situation, garoquel did the best he possibly could.

Hey Vinny, could you post a picture of the VF-1 transforming? I remember seeing the special OP, but can't recall seeing the VF-1 transform. Btw, are you from the mmcafe?

Everything about the opening is the same as the normal version for the Special's version except those pictures I posted intergrated into it. It does have the Valkerie transforming and stuff in the opening, too, which I thought someone said was the reason for making a special opening. To cut the transformation of the Valkerie. But I'm may have mistaken that it was to cut the transformation of the Macross. Which never was in the opening... I'M CONFUSED!!!!!

And yeah, I do go to the MMCafe forum occasionally. I'm not into video games as much as I used to be (we all gotta grow up sometime :p ) so I don't visit to often. I figured some people hre visted seeing as there are some SNK avatars around, and the MMCafe is like the only video game board I know of that talks about fighting games instead of 100% RPGs (I HATE RPGS!!!)

I remember reading that the Valkyrie's transformation was cut from the special OP, so that the audience wouldn't know what to expect. But I don't ever recall hearing anything about the SDF-1. The SDF-1 doesn't even appear in storm attacker mode in the regular OP. I could've sworn I didn't see the Valkyrie transform in the special OP, but the last time I watched my Perfect Collection tapes was probably 1996. I don't even have a VHS hooked up in my entertainment center anymore. :p

Cool, welcome to MacrossWorld! I thought I recognized your avatar, but your username is slightly different. MW and mmcafe are pretty much the only two forums I visit, it's awesome to see people start crossing over. I grew up playing SNK games, so I immediatly fell in love with mmcafe. Fighting games enthusiasts, without the stupidity of SRK.com. We have a couple of hard core gamers here on MW too. Oh yeah, loved your old Metal Slug/Solid Snake avatar. You're can never be too old for video games, just too old for bad video games. :lol:

The liner notes say it's a Tatsunoko employee doing the page flipping, but doesn't give a name.

Incidentally, the voice actress for Misa also did the voice for Lana Isavia (Nova Satori) in Southern Cross.

Thanks to all you guys for the info and suggestions.

Her name is Mika Doi, and she's done a ton of work over the years, including Queen Serenity on Sailor Moon and Fuke Erose on Genesis Climber Mospeada.

This link on Mika-san has a complete list. :D