Broken Landing Gear On Yf-21

armentage

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

So the other day I was zooming around my Hasegawa YF-21 when I accidentally dropped it!

I broke off the two rear langing gear. Luckily, I had not yet attached the wheel doors or the extra struts, so only the actual piece holding the while broke off from the bottom of the air plane.

Can anyone suggest some methods for re-attaching them? The peg that holds the langing strut in place has broke off in the hole for it, in the base of the wheel well.

I've sorta fixed one already by carefully drilling & twiddling w/exacto out the broken peg, and then putting a piece of a paper-clip through the landing strut, but this was VERY time consuming, and I did manage to snap the struct in half once (clean break, easily repaired)

Anyway, at this point I am almost tempted to just build the doors shut, but I have this big pretty Model-Base-Guy logo to place it on...

Just glue them back in place and let it fully setup for a day... and no more zooming.

God what I would've paid to see the look on your face when you dropped that sucker. :lol:

Edited by Grayson72

Just glue them back in place and let it fully setup for a day... and no more zooming.

God what I would've paid to see the look on your face when you dropped that sucker.  :lol:

359940[/snapback]

Luckily it landed on the carpet. I really sent it FLYING. If my GF wasn't there I think I would have cried, I've been working on it since May!

Any suggestions about HOW to glue them back on? Scruff up the surfaces? Make them smooth? It's much of a contact point.

You might be able to try using some small diameter brass or aluminum tubing.

Get tubing that is just large enough for the landing gear strut to fit into. Cut a piece of tubing and super glue it into the wheel well. Then super glue the landing gear into the tubing.

That should provide a very stong joint.

Good luck and please post some pics when you're finished!

Edited by jardann

I'm suprised you didn't break the rear thrust vectorers... those things are REALLY fragile.

360189[/snapback]

No kidding. I glued on the thrust vectors with copious amounts of the Testors Sky-Blue tube glue. The blue stuff gives you a quick-setting strong bond that doesn't marr plastic nearly as badly as the older orange stuff did.

Too bad I didn't use my 20 year old bottle of Testors brush-glue on my landing gear. That stuff gives such a weak bond that things tend to just pop out on their own from time to time :(