Color Match For 1/48 Cf

do not disturb

I haven't compared side by side, but plain old Testor's light tan might be a good enough match, if you're doing a small detailed part like a head. Might be worth a few bucks just to test out.

Hopefully, someone who has done a color match will chime in.

Tes1170.jpg

Edited by ghostryder

• 5 months later...

I used some funky acrylic "bambi brown" I think it was, along with some sort of tan spin off with a weird name, and I think the key to matching was I added orange paint. Orange can work wonders with matching. I probably added a smidgen of black once, but I can't remember. The match was near-perfect.

Sh!t, not quite close enough. The mix I wound up with is about 20:3:3:2:1 Testors wood:white:orange:blue:black. In retrospect I should have use 1 part less blue and added 1-2 parts red. The color, with a tiny test drop dried on a hidden part of the valk, looked damn close, but looks too yellow when painted over a larger surface. This is bad because the plastic is more pink, and the leg paint is pinker still (damn you Haterist, you were right :p ). Oh well, maybe panel lining and stickers on the head will make it less obvious.

heads_phase1.jpg

It would also be less obvious if the CF could move around really fast to draw attention away from the head (and stand against an even more yellow gaudy wall)...

snf.jpg

Edited by ghostryder

Days of paint mixing?? Ok I feel better :p , I only wasted 20 minutes. I noticed that lighting and flash also affects the color of paint and plastic differently. For instance, my color match is actually worse that the picture shows. How much better/worse is your match compared to the pic??

well i painted the shoulders first and they don't really match the plastic color or the 'leg paint'....they do but they don't. and you'll notice the visible brush strokes, this is why i hate enamel paints and prefer acrylic.

then a month or so later i painted the head, the head is a pretty close match to the leg paint but nowhere near the plastic. i'm not sure how good your monitor is but its really easy to tell that the head doesn't match the chest plate.

i actually thought about stripping the paint off the shoulders of a LV2 just so i can have a closer match(yeah thats nuts) but the LV2 and CF are 2 different shades of tan so it kind of defeats the purpose. i'm gonna taking brian advice and add a bit of orange in my next mix and see how it goes. hopefully i'll come a little closer.

Forgot to mention - I also clear coated the head with Minwax Polycrylic satin. One solid coat, and then a light dust coat to simulate the texture of the brown ABS. It also hid some of my sloppy brush strokes ;) , might want to try that for Kakizaki's shoulders.

thats looks too fresh! 

great job man, now all we need is someone to make a CF 1S.

416842[/snapback]

I know you have spare -1S heads dude, wanna sacrifice one for the cause??

I posted more sh!tty high-flash pics in the toys section.

Edited by ghostryder

thats looks too fresh! 

great job man, now all we need is someone to make a CF 1S.

416842[/snapback]

I know you have spare -1S heads dude, wanna donate one for the cause??

416843[/snapback]

hehe, i do but its an original head so i've been saving it for something else. it would be cool if someone would make the recasts available again, then i'd go crazy.