How Can I Clean My Gundam Markers

RoboTech

hi,

i just got a case of gundam marker basic set to paint a gundam model kit, is there anyway to clean the markers after use??

or a way to use them effectively to paint model kits for a long time?

because i bought a fine tip gundam marker like a year ago and the tip dried out in like 2 months

hi,

i just got a case of gundam marker basic set to paint a gundam model kit, is there anyway to clean the markers after use??

or a way to use them effectively to paint model kits for a long time?

because i bought a fine tip gundam marker like a year ago and the tip dried out in like 2 months

351974[/snapback]

Ive not long had some of these myself so cant really add anything definative. One thing I have found is the removerpen is quite good at removing (obviously) I did use it to clean the tip of one of the pens when it had cack on it. It did how ever take a bit of time to then clean the remover pen so it was usable again. Not had any problems with drying out yet, but in the past I have had pens like these that almost overnight turn into usless dried out sticks

Edited by big F

If those are the pens I think they are (petroleum solvent based) you can use a bit of laquer thinner, acetone (acetone nail polish remover), or other petroleum based paint thinners. If it's a water based marker, Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol works wonders (not to be confused with Ethyl Rubbing Alcohol) and it costs about a dollar for several ounces. You can usually tell by the smell. Tamiya and the Gunze BOTTLED paints are water based. Testors enamels and other enamels are uasually petroleum based. Use good ventilation with both too by the way. Hope that helps!

this is my suggestion.

don't use gundam markers.

use sakura microperm pens instead

http://www.draftingsupplies.us/sakura_microperm.htm

they are WAY thinner than any gundam marker i've seen.

and they flow better.

they're also archival quality so they won't fade or yellow your plastic

so for panel lines, they will actually fit in the crack...

this is my suggestion.

don't use gundam markers.

use sakura microperm pens instead

353613[/snapback]

Well, the microperms are fine for panel lining if you don't like washes, but they don't help paint the entire model, which is what RoboTech is referring to.

RoboTech, as far as cleaning is concerned, I've always just dabbed a little Mr. Hobby lacquer thinner on a paper towel and wiped the marker nib on that if too much stuff gets caked on the end. Gundam Markers have the same base as the Mr Hobby Gundam lacquers, so the thinner works fine. MechTech's alternatives for petroleum solvents should also work fine, but I've never tried them. The thinner also removes the paint markers if you need to do something over.

As far as drying out, I have noticed that the fine markers don't last a long time. I don't think there's a lot of paint in them. I've had fine and full-tipped markers that have been around, cap-on, for years that are still fine after a little shaking. However, after using a fine-tip for a month or so steady, it usually runs out. As long as you keep the caps on, I wouldn't worry about the full-size tip markers drying out.

On a side note, I wouldn't recommend using Gundam markers for a lot of painting. The paint colour can be inconsistent unless you really shake them up before using them, and they don't fit into cracks and detailed areas well unless you push in the tip to get a "blob" of paint to run out into the nooks and crannies, followed by a paper towel or shammy to soak up the excess paint. I did a couple of Gundam models completely with the markers, and subsequently swore off them. I use them for small details - dots on control panels, little details on the inner structure of a Master Grade model, and I love the chrome silver marker for landing gear on my Hasegawa VFs. If you want to use the markers for panel lining as well, I suggest using the soft-tip Gundam markers instead of the fine line ones. With a gloss or semi-gloss base underneath (most of the markers are semi-gloss), you run over the panel lines with the soft tip, then wipe off the excess with a towel right away. It leaves a nice thin bit of paint in the panel line, cleaner and thinner than any fine tip marker. I use them for panel lines on my Hasegawa VFs as well, 'cause I suck at using washes for really fine details. :p Deeper details will need a wash - no marker will do.