Muppet Show Season 1 DVD Out

I bought my copy the other day. What a great show that was. It's funny watching the first season and seeing the third-rate guests they got to start with and how they progressively got bigger and bigger names as it went. The show holds up surprisingly well given that it's thirty years old.

I finally scrounged up the money for this DVD box set. Unfortunately I didn't know there are two versions of this set. The first batch came out with the full content. The second batch are edited with missing skits, songs, etc.. like the Vincent Price episode: "You've Got a Friend". This is cut out due to music copyright issues. So buyer beware.

I finally scrounged up the money for this DVD box set.  Unfortunately I didn't know there are two versions of this set. The first batch came out with the full content. The second batch  are edited with missing skits, songs, etc.. like the Vincent Price episode: "You've Got a Friend". This is cut out due to music copyright issues. So buyer beware.

321595[/snapback]

Whoa, thanks for the warning! IS there a visible difference between the two editions?

Whoa, thanks for the warning! IS there a visible difference between the two editions?

321603[/snapback]

No, there is no visible difference on the box. They really should put a sticker on it saying edited or something. You can get lucky I suppose or go hunting for the first generation on eBay. As far as what's missing on the DVD:

There are 6 songs & 2 news skits that are missing.

The missing songs are:

"Stormy Weather" (Joel Grey Episode)

Sung by Wayne and Wanda

"Gone With The Wind" (Jim Nabors Episode)

Sung by Jim Nabors

"The Danceros" (Jim Nabors Episode)

Sung by The Danceros; also cut backstage and intro

"All Of Me" (Paul Williams Episode)

Sung by Two Monsters; also cut intro

"Old Fashioned Way" (Charles Aznavour)

Sung by Charles Aznavour with Mildred; also cut intro

"You've Got A Friend" (Vincent Price Episode)

Sung by Vincent Price, Uncle Deadly and a chorus of Muppet Monsters; also cut intro

Also, the original pitch reel is missing in a final scene with Kermit. Kermit is standing infront of a CBS logo. He looks out and says " What the hell was that ? "

Are you talking about the Time Life Muppet Show DVD's or are you talking about the ones that just came out like 1 week ago as having two different versions?

321603[/snapback]

No, there is no visible difference on the box. They really should put a sticker on it saying edited or something. You can get lucky I suppose or go hunting for the first generation on eBay. As far as what's missing on the DVD:

There are 6 songs & 2 news skits that are missing.

The missing songs are:

"Stormy Weather" (Joel Grey Episode)

Sung by Wayne and Wanda

"Gone With The Wind" (Jim Nabors Episode)

Sung by Jim Nabors

"The Danceros" (Jim Nabors Episode)

Sung by The Danceros; also cut backstage and intro

"All Of Me" (Paul Williams Episode)

Sung by Two Monsters; also cut intro

"Old Fashioned Way" (Charles Aznavour)

Sung by Charles Aznavour with Mildred; also cut intro

"You've Got A Friend" (Vincent Price Episode)

Sung by Vincent Price, Uncle Deadly and a chorus of Muppet Monsters; also cut intro

Also, the original pitch reel is missing in a final scene with Kermit. Kermit is standing infront of a CBS logo. He looks out and says " What the hell was that ? "

321645[/snapback]

Are you talking about the Time Life Muppet Show DVD's or are you talking about the ones that just came out like 1 week ago as having two different versions?

321653[/snapback]

Only the one that just came out a week ago. (The box covered with green simulated frog fur) There are affidavits of different versions on Amazon's customer reviews if you don't believe me. Once I found out I also checked my dvds. Indeed the skits and songs were missing.

Click on View all customer reviews

Edited by Briareos

321653[/snapback]

Only the one that just came out a week ago. (The box covered with green simulated frog fur) There are affidavits of different versions on Amazon's customer reviews if you don't believe me. Once I found out I also checked my dvds. Indeed the skits and songs were missing.

321658[/snapback]

It's two different releases, not two versions of the same release. The Complete Season One sets are all edited. The previously released Best Of discs had some of the material that's not in the Complete set.

Thats what i was talking about the Time LIfe Best of Muppets DVD's that came out a few years ago I waited for the Box Set my Self... I hope they dont cut the remaining seaaons

321653[/snapback]

321658[/snapback]

It's two different releases, not two versions of the same release. The Complete Season One sets are all edited. The previously released Best Of discs had some of the material that's not in the Complete set.

321679[/snapback]