stupid question about color

Nexx

I have made some plane models kit when I was young, and the model who are paint in white (with Tamiya air spray TS 27 white matt), like a rafale. After three or six months, the white has turn yellow ! :(

How do you protect your model kit color ? I have 9 valkyries models kit who require white and I don't wan't that happen again.

I think of use another color, like grey for 5 of them (3 skull leader and 2 hikaru's vf-1J), but I think that's was not very good looking for vf 11 (macross 7 style) and a vf2ss.

Thank you for your help.

(I know that I don't write well english, so don't hesitate to correct me :p )

It depends on the base for the color. Alot of companies used to use lead for it which really yellows after a time. Most companies use Aluminum now or titanium in their paints which yeild a whiter color with less yelow in it.

Man that was a stupid question, I've heard some whoppers in my time but that one takes the cake. ;) ha ha, just kidding.

Actually the yellowing of white paint has been the long time enemy of many a modeler. I don't know if the white paint you used is acrylic based or oil based but oil based paints tend to yellow more. I actually have only had yellowing problems with my oil paints I've used not the acrylics. The only other suggestion I have would be to keep them out of the sunlight as much as possible.

Good luck

The only other suggestion I have would be to keep them out of the sunlight as much as possible.

The most surprizing thing is that the model of rafale is stay in a box after I build it...

Thank you all for your answser. I will choose carefully the paint, and also use the antiUV. Anyway, all my toys and model aren't expose to a direct sunlight.

Surprisingly, sunlight can UN-yellow many things. According to LEGO, white Legos turn yellowish when exposed to INDIRECT light, and leaving them in the sun will whiten them. I need to try it, I have some old white ones that are very yellow in spots.

Also, yellowed decals can be helped by exposure to sunlight for a while. I've tried it myself and it worked.

So maybe people need to stop leaving their models indoors, behind glass, and leave them out in the sunshine. :)

PS--the problem with models is always trying to determine what yellowed. Was it the white paint, or was it the clear coat? Sometimes it's both.

hmmm... not stupid at all!

I use Tamiya XF-2 flat white for all my top coat. I built a Scimitar in UN white scheme about 5 years ago... still white! Tamiya's flat white is the only one I know that doesn't yellow over time, try it, you'll like it!

Cheers

Surprisingly, sunlight can UN-yellow many things. According to LEGO, white Legos turn yellowish when exposed to INDIRECT light, and leaving them in the sun will whiten them. I need to try it, I have some old white ones that are very yellow in spots.

amazing, I must try that :blink:

Thank's, I will ask information in my model shop for Tamiya XF-2 frieday. Is there in air spray ?