Gundam vs. Z gundam

One other factor to consider is that unless your friends can all read Japanese, you go through a somewhat more extended learning process whenever you want to get them in for some multiplayer, helping them navigate the menus and memorizing which "awakening" special is which.

It's not that bad. An experienced player completely crushes newbies in this game to the point that it's just about worthless for casual multiplayer unless you never play it multiplayer against anyone else. No different from any real fighting game in that regard, though.

One feature lots of people don't know about with this game is that various balance aspects have been tweaked. The hyper mega launcher zeta gundam and the o both got severe downgrades, but they're not the kind of downgrade you'd even notice unless you play a lot of multiplayer. Char's Gelgoog on the other hand is now pretty much the fastest non MA/MA form unit in the game. Lots of nice additions for other stuff too, like new colors available for the rick dias and bound doc, with new moves for the new colors. A few new moves for other mses like the hyakushiki. Oh, and the bound doc now has a gerwalk mode that lets you hover! It can fire the scattering beam gun straight down in that mode, so it can be insanely annoying to your opponent if you play hit and run on a map like great canyon and always try to attack from above whenever they try to fly up to your level. Also, I never tried to use them in fed vs. zeon, but the grabro and zakrello are both beasts in this game.

The toughest decision is deciding on whether to pick up the domestic release, or the import.

-Domestic release will support gundam games in the U.S., but most likely have shitty dub voices.

-Import is slightly more expensive, but will have the original voices...

Bah, I hate these decisions!

If bad dubbing iritates you... then get the import without a second thought. If Encounters in Space is any idication, the dubbing is going to suck real bad. The menus are not hard to figure out at all, and its not like theres much of a story anyways, and the alternate endings are pretty predictable.

The toughest decision is deciding on whether to pick up the domestic release, or the import.

-Domestic release will support gundam games in the U.S., but most likely have shitty dub voices.

Depends on your definition of "slightly."

NCSX is selling it for $65. When it hits the States, it's only going to be $40. I don't know if it's a big deal to you or not, either, but I've had issues with UPS (not to mention that they're over-priced). To me, $65+ shipping to wait around two weeks to see if UPS is going to deliver or if I have to go down to their local distribution center and pick it up myself really can't compare with $40+ sales tax plus the ability to just walk into a store and buy it.

I'm sure the dubbing will be just as bad as it's been for Gundam games/Gundam TV. But, unless UC mode is a huge change from campaign, the Vs. games haven't been the talkiest Gundam games.

NCSX is selling it for $65. When it hits the States, it's only going to be $40. I don't know if it's a big deal to you or not, either, but I've had issues with UPS (not to mention that they're over-priced). To me, $65+ shipping to wait around two weeks to see if UPS is going to deliver or if I have to go down to their local distribution center and pick it up myself really can't compare with $40+ sales tax plus the ability to just walk into a store and buy it.

I'm sure the dubbing will be just as bad as it's been for Gundam games/Gundam TV. But, unless UC mode is a huge change from campaign, the Vs. games haven't been the talkiest Gundam games.

Theres alittle thing.... its like some sort of Newtype mode where you double tap a shoulder button and activates one of 3 different powers. One makes you impervious to stun and knock outs, adds speed, armor and attack. The other makes you come back from death with a piece of your MS missing. And the last is just super speed. Theres a small dialog between ace pilot that follows the activation and if the dub is real bad, activating it might be like being ear raped lol. Not only that but there has been constant transmissions during the battle, which might get annoying if the voices are bad. SPecially during the Dakar stages with Char giving his speech.

I got mine from lik-sang, DHL next day, and got it in less then 3 days. Sure it was expensive as hell, but it was worth it. I remember NCSX being pretty quick with delivery too.

Honestly, if bad dubbing is an issue for you, then get the import. The game is good, its worth to shell out the money to get the import.

as a worker of UPS I can assure you we take exellent *snort* care *heehee* of all packages in our system. BTW we don't ship on weekends.

as a worker of UPS I can assure you we take exellent *snort* care *heehee* of all packages in our system. BTW we don't ship on weekends.

It's not the care that concerned me. It's the fact that the driver for my area is a fat lazy bitch who thinks that if he reports that he made a delivery attempt, he can go home early and not deliver my packages.

I think this is the one that uses the Federation vs. Zeon engine. If I'm right, I have it (Japanese version) and it isn't any better than federation vs. Zeon...I was very disappointed.

If you really want the best of gundam for PS2 so far get either encounters in space (available in US now) or Gundam Seed Never Ending Tomarrow...it rocks! I've been playing it for a while now. Best gundam game ever. Based on the same engine as Encounters but they improved the handling and added a lot of new features. Its well worth your while to get.

Sweet, thanks for the info on the Gundam SEED game, I've been eyeing it down here in Yokosuka and I'm sure it'll be worth my hard earned money come next Wednesday.

The base is the same but there are going to be lots of changes to the engine for the seed game. Almost all combat in Seed takes place in space or in the air, so they're reworking the way aerial combat will be. I don't know the details, but for one thing I think you'll be able to fly much longer, and another thing is that the camera angle now changes when you're flying around, so sometimes the ground will be on the side of the screen, not down. The camera changes may get across the feel of flight better, but who knows whether it will be good for gameplay. I know the game will also have a mirage colloid effect and it seems like they may have added manual blocking, but it's hard to be sure on that. There are screenshots showing melee and beam attacks getting blocked by shields, but even in the UC games there's a block animation if an attack happens to it your shield, and some units hold their shields out in front of them, most commonly when they have their melee weapons pulled out.

Anyway, I'd recommend getting gundam vs. z gundam now, especially if you have friends that you could play it with. The multiplayer is actually very deep. The seed game could be better, but it could also very easily be worse, and it's pretty much certain to have far fewer mses either way.

The base is the same but there are going to be lots of changes to the engine for the seed game. Almost all combat in Seed takes place in space or in the air, so they're reworking the way aerial combat will be. I don't know the details, but for one thing I think you'll be able to fly much longer, and another thing is that the camera angle now changes when you're flying around, so sometimes the ground will be on the side of the screen, not down. The camera changes may get across the feel of flight better, but who knows whether it will be good for gameplay. I know the game will also have a mirage colloid effect and it seems like they may have added manual blocking, but it's hard to be sure on that. There are screenshots showing melee and beam attacks getting blocked by shields, but even in the UC games there's a block animation if an attack happens to it your shield, and some units hold their shields out in front of them, most commonly when they have their melee weapons pulled out.

Anyway, I'd recommend getting gundam vs. z gundam now, especially if you have friends that you could play it with. The multiplayer is actually very deep. The seed game could be better, but it could also very easily be worse, and it's pretty much certain to have far fewer mses either way.

Well, unless they come up with a system similar to Encounters in Space (god, thats the only thing they did right in that game), I'm still going to avoid it. :)

Yeah, the space combat will probably suck. My worry is that the normal combat, with its new emphasis on prolonged aerial combat, might get something like the space combat. Space levels that are just like low gravity normal levels are still good in the old engine though, like a baoa qu, the surface of axis, von braun, etc.

Edited by Ataru

Yeah, the space combat will probably suck.  My worry is that the normal combat, with its new emphasis on prolonged aerial combat, might get something like the space combat.  Space levels that are just like low gravity normal levels are still good in the old engine though, like a baoa qu, the surface of axis, von braun, etc.

Yeah. The thing about the space levels though, you always get the feeling that your MS is being pulled to one side or the other, and its so damn easy to get stuck around objects, and trying to circle around them is just about impossible.

Hell, even the AI can't handle it very well. Most of my kills in space levels are due to the AI getting stuck on an object. They should increase boost time in space levels or something, or perhaps change a few things.

Edited by Abombz!!

It's definitely one of the best. In multiplayer it has lots of advantages, but one of the things to remember is not to go crazy with the high mega cannon. It does a lot of damage but less than a melee combo, so never use it to exploit a close range vulnerability. Never, ever fire it if someone isn't frozen from landing or doing a move- a good player will dodge and get a free hit on you every single time. It doesn't have as good characteristics as the super gundam's gun, so you can't use it in the same ways.

My brother plays the version of the ZZ that uses the shoulder guns a lot, and that version has much longer beam sabres and better melee than the other version- it can also block. Its scariest move though is the air dash melee, which can hit people miles below as well as straight ahead, and is so fast and long lasting that an opponent can go into mobile armor form for many mses, start flying away like a second or even more, and you can still catch up to them and hit them. Yesterday a friend of mine got annoyed when he was playing as the methus, was flying away for about 2 seconds and then my brother charged him down right out of MA form with that attack.

All around though, I'd still rather have a good suit that you get 3 of, like the Asshimar, Hambrabi with sea snake or Gaplant.

It's definitely one of the best. In multiplayer it has lots of advantages, but one of the things to remember is not to go crazy with the high mega cannon. It does a lot of damage but less than a melee combo, so never use it to exploit a close range vulnerability. Never, ever fire it if someone isn't frozen from landing or doing a move- a good player will dodge and get a free hit on you every single time. It doesn't have as good characteristics as the super gundam's gun, so you can't use it in the same ways.

My brother plays the version of the ZZ that uses the shoulder guns a lot, and that version has much longer beam sabres and better melee than the other version- it can also block. Its scariest move though is the air dash melee, which can hit people miles below as well as straight ahead, and is so fast and long lasting that an opponent can go into mobile armor form for many mses, start flying away like a second or even more, and you can still catch up to them and hit them. Yesterday a friend of mine got annoyed when he was playing as the methus, was flying away for about 2 seconds and then my brother charged him down right out of MA form with that attack.

All around though, I'd still rather have a good suit that you get 3 of, like the Asshimar, Hambrabi with sea snake or Gaplant.

The Hi Mega Cannon is way too hard to connect, its like the Super Gundam beam rifle, I rarely use it. And besides, its weapons take too long to reload.

The MS I like the most is the Gundam Mk2. Sure its sort of weak, but being able to reload on your own is a blessing and makes you able to constantly fire, unlike the other MSs that need to wait for their cannons to recharge.

It's definitely one of the best.  In multiplayer it has lots of advantages, but one of the things to remember is not to go crazy with the high mega cannon.  It does a lot of damage but less than a melee combo, so never use it to exploit a close range vulnerability.  Never, ever fire it if someone isn't frozen from landing or doing a move- a good player will dodge and get a free hit on you every single time.  It doesn't have as good characteristics as the super gundam's gun, so you can't use it in the same ways. 

My brother plays the version of the ZZ that uses the shoulder guns a lot, and that version has much longer beam sabres and better melee than the other version- it can also block.  Its scariest move though is the air dash melee, which can hit people miles below as well as straight ahead, and is so fast and long lasting that an opponent can go into mobile armor form for many mses, start flying away like a second or even more, and you can still catch up to them and hit them.  Yesterday a friend of mine got annoyed when he was playing as the methus, was flying away for about 2 seconds and then my brother charged him down right out of MA form with that attack.

The Hi Mega Cannon is way too hard to connect, its like the Super Gundam beam rifle, I rarely use it. And besides, its weapons take too long to reload.

The MS I like the most is the Gundam Mk2. Sure its sort of weak, but being able to reload on your own is a blessing and makes you able to constantly fire, unlike the other MSs that need to wait for their cannons to recharge.

Second that. I don't know what they did to re-balance the game, but I love the MkII.

It's kind of a shame, though, in AEUG vs. Titans... it's not the strongest MS, but they lump it with others in that you don't get enough, and they take longer to repair.

It's definitely one of the best.  In multiplayer it has lots of advantages, but one of the things to remember is not to go crazy with the high mega cannon.  It does a lot of damage but less than a melee combo, so never use it to exploit a close range vulnerability.  Never, ever fire it if someone isn't frozen from landing or doing a move- a good player will dodge and get a free hit on you every single time.  It doesn't have as good characteristics as the super gundam's gun, so you can't use it in the same ways. 

My brother plays the version of the ZZ that uses the shoulder guns a lot, and that version has much longer beam sabres and better melee than the other version- it can also block.  Its scariest move though is the air dash melee, which can hit people miles below as well as straight ahead, and is so fast and long lasting that an opponent can go into mobile armor form for many mses, start flying away like a second or even more, and you can still catch up to them and hit them.  Yesterday a friend of mine got annoyed when he was playing as the methus, was flying away for about 2 seconds and then my brother charged him down right out of MA form with that attack.

Second that. I don't know what they did to re-balance the game, but I love the MkII.

It's kind of a shame, though, in AEUG vs. Titans... it's not the strongest MS, but they lump it with others in that you don't get enough, and they take longer to repair.

The balancing they did is very subtle, and only someone who played the hell out of AvT will notice the difference, really.

In GvZ theres no repair time, and I don't think the Mk2 is that expensive, last time I used it on arcade mode I got 3 or so uses out of it before my bar ran out.

Theres another MS that has real fast recharge time, but it sucks real bad for some reason.

I also love the Qubeley, its an awsome suit, super fast and the funnels are really useful when you are dying and just want to avoid an ace. The Mk2 is even better. Funny thing is, even with super advanced MSs, beating route F in arcade mode was hell. Seriously, the last level is pretty impossible to beat. You have to fight old Zeon MSs on Solomon. Beating the Gelgoogs and Rick Doms isn't too hard (requires meticulous timing and good firing skills since they dodge your shots real well), but then they throw Garma on a Gyan at you. Not only is he a pain in the ass since its very hard to hit him after a jump or a dash, but he uses the revival newtype skill. Add the Big Zam that can actually hit stuff and you got yourself an ordeal. I just jumped away and let loose with my funnels, while I let my AI Guncannon deal with the Zam. :p

I hate I Field MAs in this game. :angry:

The mkII is one of the best mses. I think the bazooka version is better- at long ranges it's nearly impossible to hit with a straight shot anyway, but the scatter shot gives a chance of doing a little, which is perfect for playing keep away on an almost dead player (just boost flying backwards a lot while firing vulcans and bazooka). The bazooka also gets more shots, and almost without exception, bazooka shots have higher velocity than beams in these games, so it's easier to shoot people out of the air, a big plus. The one significant disadvantage is that if you both fire at eachother at the same time from certain angles, and they have a beam, your shot's destroyed and you get smacked.

One example of a significant balance change is that you get 3 hambrabis now. The hambrabi was weak at 2, compared to the zeta, baund doc, the o, etc., but at 3 is a complete beast. One of the fastest MA modes in the game, insanely damaging sea snake, back up beams so lacking the particular weakness of the gundam hammer gundam, and great melee on top of that. Only problem is bad life.

The Asshimar is great too- it has huge life for a suit you get 3 of, and does massive damage with the beam. Suits with MA modes are pretty much the only suits that can fight truly effectively from range excluding the qubeleys and zeong, because you can manually aim, and you can quickly escape back to long range if you choose. Most importantly, they are the best at running down an enemy when you are using a special, or escaping an enemy that just activated one. With the asshimar you get the aforementioned life and speed, but also one of the more damaging beam rifles in the game. The melee is mostly garbage, but the special r1 melee (dempsey roll) is one of the most damaging attacks in the game, worth learning how to use effectively. It may seem unusable with its short range but it certainly is not- activating the power special when you're about to get hit by a melee combo and going right into that is one of the strongest turn around moves possible, for example. (instead of eating a melee combo, you hit them with an increased damage version of a move that already can almost kill most mses in 1 use)

The other one I mentioned before, the gaplant, is pretty much like a gundam mkII that can transform, which is why I prefer it. It can't use a bazooka, so it has that disadvantage compared to the mkII, nor can it reload. On the other hand, it has slightly better melee than the mkII and the ability to do more damage when needed with the double beam shot, but its shields are not functional. Don't use the MA form well and it's a slightly worse gundam mkII, but use it well and it can make all the difference.

Man, I wrote a lot. :) I just love this series of games and really wish more people would realize they have some actual depth- Capcom put in the effort.