how to restor yellow'd plastic?

CdnShockwave

Not sure about it though, but how about one of those Super Fine Polish in a tube by Tamiya?

I t acts as a very very fine sand paper, finer than a 2000 grain and shoul be able to just take off the yellowed and leaves the model/toy with almost no visible scratches!

Andy :)

Edited by Valk009

• 2 weeks later...

I've cleaned up old yellowed toys by dismantling them and soaking the part, absolutely submerged, in straight bleach overnight. I did this years ago to a Kenner X-wing fighter and the plastic was fine years later :D - just to quell some fears. Trust if the bleach isn't penetrating into the stain it isn't penetrating the the plastic molecules and "melting them" :huh: dosent bleach come in a plastic ;) bottle? That said there are different types of plastic so try it out somewhere that won't be visible, don't run with scissors and tear apart all plastic bags.... ;):p

i was reading up on this, and the possibility of sanding might be a viable option. apparently somebody did quite a bit of homework on this subject and found that plastics degrad with age<duh>. heat and uv light help it break down, the surface molecules start to unchain, and the plastic itself is eroding away. the yellow is just the first part. sanding is an option, but a piece will sometimes spontaneously turn yellow again. painting is an option, so yellow jet/sky fires make an attractive plea for customization. i have read whitening toothpaste, a pinball machine cleaning chemical called Novus #2 might work, but could remove paint, and another suggestion for a product called Peek metal polish, which i will assume has a mild abrasive in it. Perhaps a container of Mother's will do the trick?

i think i will ebay for a horribly yellow valk, and see what i can find..