How many different aircraft did each pilot fly?

ewilen

I'll have a go at Hikaru. I count the following:

TV:

1. Fan Racer

2. VF-1D

3. VF-1J Hikaru (equipped with GBP-1S on one occasion)

4. Fan Liner

5. VF-1S

6. VF-X-4? (Do we ever actually see it, or just a model?)

Notes: Although the 1J took a beating and was disabled at least once, I think it kept being repaired and was only totalled when it lost a wing in "Kung-Fu Dandy" (RT "Battle Cry"). When Hikaru flashes back and sees Roy flying a biplane in episode 1, do we see what Hikaru is flying? (I don't think so.)

DYRL:

1. VF-1A

2. VT-1

3. VF-1S

Flashback: Aside from reused scenes, FB does show Hikaru in a VF-4. Or is it a VF-X-4?

It was just a model. You didn't see them until Flashback.

Notes: Although the 1J took a beating and was disabled at least once, I think it kept being repaired and was only totalled when it lost a wing in "Kung-Fu Dandy" (RT "Battle Cry").

It was destroyed on Britai's flagship just prior to them being caught (forget the episode, and can't check from work). It was also destroyed unintentionally by a mis-timed Daedalus attack by Misa in the ep just prior to "Phantasm". After that, he "inherited" skull one.

When Hikaru flashes back and sees Roy flying a biplane in episode 1, do we see what Hikaru is flying? (I don't think so.)

We wasn't flying - he was chasing him on foot through a field of flowers.

Flashback: Aside from reused scenes, FB does show Hikaru in a VF-4. Or is it a VF-X-4?

I'm pretty sure it was the VF-4, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. It's been a while since I've seen it.

Notes: Although the 1J took a beating and was disabled at least once, I think it kept being repaired and was only totalled when it lost a wing in "Kung-Fu Dandy" (RT "Battle Cry").

It was destroyed on Britai's flagship just prior to them being caught (forget the episode, and can't check from work). It was also destroyed unintentionally by a mis-timed Daedalus attack by Misa in the ep just prior to "Phantasm". After that, he "inherited" skull one.

Yup, "K-FD"/"BC" is the episode right before Phantasm.

You're right, Hikaru lost his 1J in "First Contact". See http://www.mahq.net/animation/macross/seri...ies/macep11.htm I forgot that they used a Regult to escape.

Is MAHQ right in this from the summary of "Miss Macross"?

Hikaru launches in a VF-1S Armored Valkyrie, which Misa tells him is only for special missions.

I thought it was a VF-1J, and I even suspected it was "his" 1J (#101), just with the GBP-1S armor. Whatever craft it was, it seems to survive the mission, barely.

Yes, it was definitely his VF-1J, or else another that was painted just like it. And the Flashback Valk was a VF-4 (the VF-X-4 was some early prototype or other, I believe).

And in the flashback in episode 1, I do believe that Hikaru is flying some kind of bi-plane, although there is another flashback where he's running through a field.

And I can't believe you left out the fact that he once flew a bicycle! Sure, it was in a dream, but it still counts! :lol:

Oh, and they showed him training in a VF-1J (CF colors) in episode 6.

At any rate, should we continue?

For Max, we have...

TV:

VF-1A

Regult

VF-1J (with FAST packs in episode 30)

VF-1D (that "Virgin Road" special that's causing such a commotion in the Model Forum)

DYRL:

VF-1A

VF-1S

Queadluun Rau

Macross 7:

VF-22S

And, just for comparison, Kakizaki:

TV:

VF-1A

Regult

DYRL:

VF-1A

I'll have a go at Hikaru. I count the following:

TV:

1. Fan Racer

2. VF-1D

3. VF-1J Hikaru (equipped with GBP-1S on one occasion)

4. Fan Liner

5. VF-1S

Notes: Although the 1J took a beating and was disabled at least once, I think it kept being repaired and was only totalled when it lost a wing in "Kung-Fu Dandy" (RT "Battle Cry"). When Hikaru flashes back and sees Roy flying a biplane in episode 1, do we see what Hikaru is flying? (I don't think so.)

DYRL:

1. VF-1A

2. VT-1

3. VF-1S

You forgot Hikaru's Magic Bicycle!!

Sorry for leaving out the Magic Bicycle!

To be really nitpicky about it, I'm interested not only in the types flown by each character, but the actual number of individual craft. E.g., for Hikaru in SDF:Macross, we now have, in the order we first see him piloting each craft:

1. Fan Racer. Total loss, probably.

2. Possible biplane in the flashback. (Did he also dream of Roy when he was in hospital?)

3. VF-1D. Forward section salvaged, maybe other parts if they were found on the island after the fold.

4. Brown VF-1J in training. Fate unknown--and are we sure it's a 1J?

5. Red & White VF-1J. May be #4, repainted. Equipped with GBP-1S at one point. Trashed by Britai.

6. Fan Liner. Survived the series, most likely.

7. Replacement VF-1J. Shot down by Misa, probably a total loss.

8. Magic Bicycle. Went wherever dreams go.

9. VF-1S Skull Leader. Equipped with FAST packs at times. Survived the series. Probably ended up in a museum.

Similarly, we know that we saw Kakizaki fly at least two different VF-1A's.

Edited by ewilen

That's okay, it's worth including. Besides, doesn't it have some kind of booster doohickey in the back--meaning it would at least be mobile in space?

Edit: on second thought, a destroid obviously isn't an aircraft. Nor is a Regult. We could limit the list to "mecha and aircraft". Or we could do all vehicles--in which case we'll have to add Hikaru's non-magic bicycle in "Miss Macross" :)

Edited by ewilen

Update...

1. We do see Hikaru flying a biplane when he flashes back in "Boobytrap". The "running through a field of flowers" is from a later episode, "My Album".

2. Hikaru helped pilot the Regult in "Big Escape".

3. Both Kakizaki and Max lost their VF-1A's "First Contact"/"Big Escape". So Max pilots at least 5 different craft in the TV series, and Kakizaki pilots at least 3.