So no one wants Southern Cross toys eh?

ROBOTECH MACROSS MATCHBOX VERITECH HOVER TANK NRFB!!!!!

b0_2.JPG

Winning bid: US $172.50

Ended: Mar-19-05 16:02:06 PST

Start time: Mar-12-05 16:02:06 PST

History: 20 bids (US $25.00 starting bid)

Amazing, a Mint in Box Spartas toy from a series everyone claims no one like sells for nearly $200. Someone mind explaining this to me if no one wants these toys?

If you'd like to verify it, here is the link to the actual auction. Matchbox Hovertank toy auction

Here is another little tidbit to make my fellow Southern Cross fans see red. Someone at Robotech.com took the time to compile a list of all the Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada toys released. I decided to count only those released in the 80s and then by Playmates.

The Macross Saga totaled in at 130 toys

The Robotech Masters totaled in at 27 toys

The New Generation topped off at 43 toys

Oh yea....Southern Cross had such a farting chance to develop a following. I don't know whom to be more pissed off at, the people who ran HG's licensing in the 80s or the current crop of toy producer George Sohn for sitting on his ass. :angry:

I myself would like to see some new SC toys just to see them... but not from Toynazi. To quote one of my favorite quotes: "Those fools could f##k up a wet dream".

As for that auction, it's ePay. Strange things happen on ePay... I've seen worthless junk get bid into space many a time (not that I am calling that toy worthless mind you). If you look closely one of the key bidders who drove the price up so high in the last few minutes was in France. I know international buyers can and will pay through the nose for things... they've done it for me enough times. Also note the winner is a zero feedback... once again, not pointing fingers or making accusations but I've also had a lot of strangely high winning bids come from zero bidders who are never heard from again.

If it is any consolation, here in STL there is a local toy show called "Toyman" held at the machinist's hall (local STL'ers will know of it). I once saw a Hovertank there priced at $120 a year ago or so and right next to it was an exosquad reissue priced at $70. Someone bought them because they have not been seen since.

Collectable prices are never set in stone, something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. I myself am willing to pay a good piece of cash for a decent large scale high quality new legioss toy that does not reek of Toynazi bumfuggling.

I won an auction from that guy and never received the item. His Email address also doesn't work so whoever bid that might be in for a great surprise.

Also, everything he was selling went for INSANE prices. I got an MISB SDF-1 for $140 a few months back and someone bought his for like $400... I think this is just a case of a few people who have tax return money and want the exact same things (except for international people as was explained earlier).

You gotta figure demand for Southern Cross toys is intense among a small number of people. If you have one toy and ten people want to buy it you can sell it for a nice price but that doesn't justify then making nineteen more toys- you'd just end up with ten sitting on the shelves.

The hover tank sold for good money because its a pretty cool mecha, no matter what sucky show (SC) it came from. I bet it gets relisted because the buyer backs out. Also, Macross and Mopeada stuff sells for that much all the time. No big whoop. And the fact that a hover tank sells for $175 or so doesnt mean that there is some hidden underground world of Souther Cross fans. :p

Heh, its called rarity.

The person who bought it might not even be a SC fan but knows there are few who might pay more for it!!

:lol:

But on a positive note- it was one of the better toys they made for SC

pretty much. personaly I don't like the design from the art posted on some rpg sites. But if it floats your boat I won't complain.

Yeah, I can't really take this as proof that there is a huge demand for Southern Cross toys. There are always collectors. And this price is nothing compared to the literally thousands of dollars a good condition Bandai/Takatoku 1/55th was going for back before the market was suddenly flooded with reissues and new toys.

Still, I feel your pain, man. Southern Cross is not a bad show, and has some great mecha. I'd like to see them at the very least recieve the MPC treatment.