magnets

min

can you guys recommend some tiny but strong magnets i can use in customizing. basically i want to make a resin kits fast packs removable but the ones ive been using just has not been strong enough to hold.

thanks!

radio shack [the average person lives within 5 miles of one] sell magnets. They have a number of types, usually which they can't locate. Best suited to your needs are either the magnetic tape you can exacto to shape, or the really small "rare earth magnets". somewhere around $2 a pack.

I warn you though... you might have to go to radio shacks web site [from the radio shack web site computer inside the store] to look up the catalog number and prove that they do indeed sell them to the less than well trained clerk. They are usually hanging in the same area of the store as wire wrap tools, soldering irons, etc. The number of times I had a clerk say "we don't sell that" who looked stunned when I asked them to check the on hand inventory of 23-144 and found that there were 20+ packs in the store. Granted that is a battery and not the part number you need for the magnet, but you get the idea.

I believe the magnets kanata is talking about are the same ones that I am going to use on the Armored Gerwalk, to hold the leg armors together, and the forearm armor on the arms - little tiny rare earth magnets, about 3/16" diameter, and about a 1/16" thick. Might need to see if I can buy these in bulk from McMaster Carr...

well i dragged up the link....

click me!

thats where i got mine and they have a good variety of sizes, shapes, and thickness.

you'll probably want to go with the disc magnets(1.59mm, thinnest available) since it will provide more surface area and a stronger hold.

i opted for the 2.54mm and while they work great, i had to place the magnets in the forearm armor of the FP because it was too thick to place into the actual forearm of the valk.

Edited by haterist

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any clue of the MPC Veritechs use these magnets? I have been messing with some "improvement packages" on my MPC birds and I was hoping upgrading the magnets might help. Of coures, they may already be Rare earth magnets and an upgrade wouldn't make a difference.

The biggest thing that pisses me off about the MPC's is the legs not staying in position in fighter mode. I was thinking a nice BIG magnet might help fix that syndrome.

Thanks,

Brad

Anyone have any clue of the MPC Veritechs use these magnets? I have been messing with some "improvement packages" on my MPC birds and I was hoping upgrading the magnets might help. Of coures, they may already be Rare earth magnets and an upgrade wouldn't make a difference.

The biggest thing that pisses me off about the MPC's is the legs not staying in position in fighter mode. I was thinking a nice BIG magnet might help fix that syndrome.

Thanks,

Brad

i'm not sure what kind of magnets toynami used(probably the cheapest crap out) for the MPC's but i can tell you they didn't lined them up correctly.

the legs were originally designed to stay up in fighter mode, theres magnets behind the calf and where the back plate meet(notice the little metal plates on the backside of the shoulder lamps).

Anyone have any clue of the MPC Veritechs use these magnets?  I have been messing with some "improvement packages" on my MPC birds and I was hoping upgrading the magnets might help.  Of coures, they may already be Rare earth magnets and an upgrade wouldn't make a difference.

The biggest thing that pisses me off about the MPC's is the legs not staying in position in fighter mode.  I was thinking a nice BIG magnet might help fix that syndrome.

Thanks,

Brad

i'm not sure what kind of magnets toynami used(probably the cheapest crap out) for the MPC's but i can tell you they didn't lined them up correctly.

the legs were originally designed to stay up in fighter mode, theres magnets behind the calf and where the back plate meet(notice the little metal plates on the backside of the shoulder lamps).

Probably right that they used the most craptastic magnets available. And I have noticed the misalignment. It is hard to fix the alignment though without having to scrape plastic off from inside the leg to move the magnet. I will probably do it but I am going to buy some rare earth magnets to do it. Maybe one of those magnets that holds 2 lbs of weight might actually work!