Oil colors and chalk pastels

Ido

In oils, I get White, Black and Brown - from that you can mix almost anything you need, the browns are good for a bit of rust and brake/hydraulic fluids. The white is good to do panel lines on black surfaces, and the white & black together gets shades of grey for the actual panel lines or streaks.

In chalks, I've only used the same; White, Black & Brown also. Pick a medium brown, so that you can always lighten it with the white or darken it with the black.

Good luck.

I just messed up a few hours of work on a Babylon 5 - Starfury model because of a oil wash ( I wanted to start with something easy , 5 macross models waiting ..... to scared I mess them up)

I sprayed the main booster "outlets" with Testors exhuast metalizer , left to dry for 24 hours , then sealed with future , let dry 24 hours.

I then applied the oil wash , only to find it never dried and turned my the paint into a sticky goo . :angry:

I have taken the paint off and resprayed , but have not added the future yet

It must have been something I did , restatrting a hobby after 20 years , I learning new things all the time , maybe forget the oil wash and just use chalks

Any ideas ?

I sprayed the  main booster "outlets" with Testors exhuast metalizer , left to dry for 24 hours , then sealed with future , let dry 24 hours. 

I then applied the oil wash , only to find  it never dried and turned my the paint into a sticky goo .  :angry:

I have taken the paint off and resprayed , but have not added the future yet

It must have been something I did , restatrting a hobby after 20 years , I learning new things all the time , maybe forget the oil wash and just use chalks

Any ideas ?

What did you thin the oil paint with? I've never had a problem doing an oil wash over a Future base coat using odorless mineral spirits to thin the oil paints.

• 2 weeks later...