Harlocks Biplane, what is it?

DestroidsRage

Wow! That is a seriously beautiful model!

Yah. There needs to be more stories about Axis people. I like Japanese authors, because theyre not afraid of writing stories where the Germans win. In a story by Joji Manabe, theres a group of sexy women in german officers uniforms who drive Tiger Tanks against the Russian T-34 tanks. The T-34s are piloted by russians, characterized as big, raping, brutish, Bears, who serve a twisted bondagy woman, who captures the Tiger girls, and tortures them again (hentai style), but the Tiger girls prevail. driving their far superior Tiger tanks against the Bears, and blowing them all away. Very great story, with great artwork, which definitely shows you what a large number of people thought of the russians during WW2. Joji Manabe is /awesome/. He's the author of Drakuun, Outlanders, Ginga Sengoku Gunyuuden Rai, Caravan Kidd, Capricorn, and a lot of other things aswell.

-BEN-MAN-

Wow! That is a seriously beautiful model!

Yah. There needs to be more stories about Axis people. I like Japanese authors, because theyre not afraid of writing stories where the Germans win. In a story by Joji Manabe, theres a group of sexy women in german officers uniforms who drive Tiger Tanks against the Russian T-34 tanks. The T-34s are piloted by russians, characterized as big, raping, brutish, Bears, who serve a twisted bondagy woman, who captures the Tiger girls, and tortures them again (hentai style), but the Tiger girls prevail. driving their far superior Tiger tanks against the Bears, and blowing them all away. Very great story, with great artwork, which definitely shows you what a large number of people thought of the russians during WW2. Joji Manabe is /awesome/. He's the author of Drakuun, Outlanders, Ginga Sengoku Gunyuuden Rai, Caravan Kidd, Capricorn, and a lot of other things aswell.

-BEN-MAN-

Thanks,

I'm planning to do another Bf-109 Arcadia in 1/48 sooner or later (at least I have the decals)

Interesting story. I will look for it.

I think japanese people had a tremendous fear about the russians during wwII. Some historians even beleive that was more the fear for the soviet russians than the A bombs what made the japanese surrender to the americans in 1945...

A fairly common sentiment in the British press is that there should be more war films about British war stories... ;)

I've long felt that an anime war anthology series would be an interesting idea. There would of course be some grumbling about Japanese animators being responsible for stories about American or British solidiers, for example, but I'd like to know where you'll find better animated flying sequences...!

The advantage animation would have would be that its a lot easier to use authentic equipment thats hard to find these days - just about every film featuring the Battle of Britain, for instance, has to make do with what aircraft are currently available; its not noticable for a general audience but for those who know what to look for, Mk. V or later Spitfires or a Merlin engined Bf-109 do tend to stick out in 1940...! :rolleyes:

Edited by F-ZeroOne

A fairly common sentiment in the British press is that there should be more war films about British war stories... ;)

I've long felt that an anime war anthology series would be an interesting idea. There would of course be some grumbling about Japanese animators being responsible for stories about American or British solidiers, for example, but I'd like to know where you'll find better animated flying sequences...!

The advantage animation would have would be that its a lot easier to use authentic equipment thats hard to find these days - just about every film featuring the Battle of Britain, for instance, has to make do with what aircraft are currently available; its not noticable for a general audience but for those who know what to look for, Mk. V or later Spitfires or a Merlin engined Bf-109 do tend to stick out in 1940...! :rolleyes:

Agree. The problem is that the american film industry is the only one capable of reproducing that era with some detail and, of course, they tend to make just american war stories.

I would like to see a good (in terms of story and hardware) Battle of Britain movie or a El Alamein based movie.

The last war movie I enjoyed a lot was Enemy at the Gates, it is an excellent reproduction of the Stalingrad battle and all the hardware (tanks, planes, weapons) seemed realistic to me.

I think that animation is the way to go for most of the weaponry but not only anime (although the antology you mention could be awsome) 3D animation could do a lot for reconstructing that period (I think that all the german bombers seen in Enemy at the Gates were 3D models)

There are hundreds of real war stories that would do excelent films. There is one in particular that would be an awsome anime: the story of those japanese pilots and mechanics that were left in some forgoten island and continued fighting with their zeros almost till the end of the war (in an Osprey book about japanese aces they were called air guerrilla )

3D CGI helps a lot, but even mega-budget films like Pearl Harbour often need close-up shots and the dilemma there is whether to make the 3D models match the authentic ones or what they've actually got available. In fact, when I saw one of the movie posters, I thought that the Japanese torpedo plane depicted looked a little strange - I later found out that some of the aircraft used were "pretend" Zeros and the like...! :lol:

( my all time favourite production story, though, is from when I visited Bletchley Park and the guide explained that the real mansion looks very different from the one in the film Enigma, because the producers felt that Bletchley Park didn't look enough like Bletchley Park! )

Gerwalker, there is a movie due out that will cover at least part of the Desert battles; its about that magician who helped the British Army with various camoflauge tricks and the like.

The war film I would most like to see would be a biography of the RAF reconnaissance pilot, Adrian Warburton ( sorry - make that Wing Commander Adrian Warburton, DSO & Bar, DFC & 2 Bars, US DFC ), whose remains were recently found in Germany and properly buried, finally solving a 60 year mystery...

::can't ignore opportunity to rant::

Or we could all go watch Pearl Harbor, with it's modern VLS-equipped missile destroyers...

Not to mention that every single battleship was wrong. (They didn't make each ship individually---they CG'd a few dozen "generic US battleship parts" and put different groups of them on the same hull to represent the various ships--so they had the rough general appearance of each ship they were going for, but every single detail was wrong). And that was really stupid, as:

1. Anyone who didn't know the ships wouldn't know anyway whether the overall shape/outline was right or wrong or the gun arrangement was correct--could have just used a dozen Arizona's and they wouldn't notice.

2. Anyone who DOES know won't be fooled for a second by an "approximation". New York-class bridge+Pennsy-class tower does not equal Colorado class, even if the guns are right...

Yah... Pearl Harbor sucked... And as far as Enemy At The Gates goes, I think the old Stalingrad movie was a lot better.

And I can imagine why the Japanese would be afraid of the russians. Theyre total brutes. After Germany fell, and russians sweeped into germany, there were litterally thousands of rapes and attrocities committed by the russians, so much that if a russian soldier was captured, he'd have a choice. Die. Or get his testicles chopped off so that the German soldiers wouldnt find him doing something nasty to a girl of theirs. This was condemned by most people but hey, it makes sense. Those russians were filthy bastards.

But enough about old history.

Screw the allies! We've seen /so/ many battles of the allies! I want to see some bloody Axis fighting. One of the most engrossing things, would be a miniseries, properly done, about the Finnish Winter War against the russians, and how Finland prevailed against the huge menace. Or maybe a movie about the Germans Tanks in WW1, or the battle of Kursk in WW2. That would be cool. I dunno..

On a side note, there was a wonderful movie made about the Winter War, aptly called "The Winter War".. But I'll be damned if I can find it.

-BEN-MAN-

Just came across this thread after being away from the forum for about a month+.

My thoughts on Harlocks biplane are that it is based on a real type, possibly an early '30's-ish design either procured from the U.S., France or

Italy(maybe even Czechoslovakia, Avia variant) and modified to meet

Japanese Imp. Army or Navy needs.

The Japanese had quite a number of their own indigenous designs by then, none of which were produced in numbers worth remembering, and many were mutations of foreign models built under limited lease or study. I'm sure Koku-Fan would have the necessary insight.

I see aspects of America's Curtiss Hawk, Loening and Boeing Naval fighters/dive bombers in this plane(cantilever wings, still bearing interplane struts to prevent flutter).

My thoughts on the invrt gull is clearance for bombs or a torpedo and that many principles of engineering may not have been perfected to allow oleo LG struts(straight leg landing gear) w/out a weight penalty.

Hence the "fokker" style L.G.

Destroid Rage, aren't you a little heavy handed branding the Russians "filthy b*****ds?

My sources lead me to believe they were acting out reprisal for the extreme drubbing the Nazi's gave them, even once vanquished. The organized carnage,(not to mention being set to Wagner,etc.),of the "b*****ds" who started it all would make me pretty bent on desecrating every aspect of them, if I was one of Stalin's pathetic sods.