Takatoku fix

jenius

Is there any way to fix the old vintage valks (and Jetfire's) shoulders when they break? I just got one off Ebay and may have been ripped off (i'm currently inquiring about a refund if i return the item). Anyway, it's in beautiful shape if it weren't for the shoulder joint being messed up. Can you guys let me know if it can be repaired?

PS- i quickly tried a search on the subject but failed. Let me know -

a hypothetical for you, do you think i could use some sort of material to rebuild the part that has either shaved off or been broken? It looks like it's just a plastic ring, almost like a sleeve formed by a half on either side of the shoulder. So, is it possible to disassemble the shoulder, rebuild the half ring, and then screw it back on to that screw? If so, would this also make that joint "click" again on that ratchet or is there another procedure that could be used for livening up that ratcheting shoulder sprocket? Sorry for all the questions, I just really love this guy and would love to make him work like he ought to (and like I paid for him to).

It's kind of a C shape on one side and flat on the other. It may be possible to rebuild it, I've never tried. My main concern would be the fact that it's under alot of tension from the spring. On a good note, the ratcheting part is seperate from the shoulder so if you can rebuild the C shaped piece it should still work.

I took some pics that should hopefully help you see the parts and how they relate to each other.

post-4-1106375052_thumb.jpg

Edited by Opus

wow, thanks a lot for your help! I investigated the inside of the shoulder and it looks like it's just ever so slightly shaved. I actually can pop it back on and it will stay there as long as I don't tug. Unfortunately just doing that doesn't effect the ratched spring assembly so it just lets the shoulder spin on the screw. So now if I'm stuck keeping it the decison will be whether or not to just pose him in the display case so you can't tell there's an issue or to actually do some surgery... yikes. Thanks again for the pics and showing me exactly what I'm dealing with.

If anyone has some helpful advice about the "surgery" that may be done here from anecdotal or personal experience I'd love to hear it. Always better to be over-prepared -

Yes, it should be a no problem fix. Just unscrew the screw and slip a very small machine screw washer onto the screw that will fit in the assembly. If you ahve trouble finding one, i could probably hook you up with one as my dad has loads of mechanicl stuff, and we have a big sorted container of small washers and such.

Thanks again for your help everyone. I actually think I may be able to get my money refunded for the purchase so it may not come to my having to fix this afterall. That being said I did just find my old Jetfire that has this very same problem so I'll probably give this a try on him. You guys rock -