after watching macross zero...

rewooh

I saw how the vf-1s changed...and i notcied that the legs did some funky things.

its like...it became totally out there and independent from the rest of the body and swang up around and became a battoid.

now..i remeber someone mentioned that in actualilty the yamatos 1/60 are the closetset to the real tranformation. So is taht the way that the 1/60s transform...or do you totally detact the legs and reattact them.

if there is a picture to be found then...taht'll help. =)

There aren't any VF-1's in Macross Zero yet (still hoping for low-vis VF-1), so I'll assume you're talking about the VF-0S transforming in the first episode. If you look close and slow the video down, you'll see that the legs are attached to swing bars that pop out and swing the legs down into place. The legs are never totaly free from the aircraft like they are on the 1/60 VF-1's.

Edited by Mule

Yes, the VF-1 Valkyrie leg transformation is different from the VF-0. Detail for the VF-1 can be seen here:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/specia...nsformation.htm

Here's the summary picture.

(Not posting it inline because it's too big for the forum.)

Now, on the 1/60, you totally detach the legs and reattach them. It's a matter of opinion whether that's a better representation of the VF-1 transformation than either an external swing bar (like the Takatoku/Bandai, Toynami MPC, and Banpresto toys) or an internal swing bar (like the Yamato 1/48).

In my opinion, if you have four hands at your disposal, you could probably do the most animation-accurate representation of the leg transformation with a 1/60, but that's admittedly a highly anal-retentive observation to make. And in any case, you have to replace the canopy on a 1/60 (although somebody developed a custom with a built-in heatshield); the 1/48's heat shield works pretty much like in the show (even if it's kind of a pain to move).

Edited by ewilen

Yes, the VF-1 Valkyrie leg transformation is different from the VF-0. Detail for the VF-1 can be seen here:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/specia...nsformation.htm

Here's the summary picture.

(Not posting it inline because it's too big for the forum.)

This VF-1 transformation method is the straight official from the Design Works book.

Could be since the VF-0 had such a longer fuselage, it needed to go the swingbar route to make the distance.

The VF-0 transformation, that you seem to be referring to, uses a swing bar method almost identicle to the Bandai/Takatoku/Toynami toys, just more advanced in that the swing bar is much thinner and slides into the fuselage.

The only similarities between the 1/60 legs and the actual transformation is that once the transformation is complete, the legs are connected to only the nose area, and not by swingbar. The actual transformation PROCESS is totally different. If the legs actually came off they'd be flying all over the place.

And in any case, you have to replace the canopy on a 1/60 (although somebody developed a custom with a built-in heatshield); the 1/48's heat shield works pretty much like in the show (even if it's kind of a pain to move).

My beef with the 1/48 heat shield (love that it's internal) is that you can't use it in fighter mode, which was seen in the anime (Hikaru coming down from orbit) and you CAN with a 1/60.

And can't mention removing/adding parts without mentioning the 1/48 intake covers.

I wanted to try using the 1/48 heat shield in fighter mode but never got around to it. So it definitely won't work, huh?

Re: intake covers, as I mentioned in another thread, they're on all the time in space, so if you'd like you can consider it a "perfect transformation" in that environment.

imode: You're right of course, but I offer the following experiment. Suppose we want to create a stop-motion animation of a Valkyrie transformation using an existing toy (without modifying the toy). Leaving aside the heatshield issue, I think you could get the most accurate results with a Yamato 1/60. An external-swingbar (Taka/Bandai/MPC/Banpresto) might work okay. I don't think you can position the body/legs properly on a 1/48 during the intermediate stages of transformation.

There has been no toy true to the anime. Having legs that are removed completely and re-attached is no more true than legs with misplaced swingbars that don't disconnect and slide back up.

Given the choices, I think the 1/48 is the best compromise so far.

However, page 158 of Macross Perfect Memory shows that the legs partially open during transformation to Gerwalk, and the arms fold out on hinges a la Bandai 1/55 and Yammie 1/60, instead of rotating out like a 1/48.

Don't know if Kawamori changed his mind later.

Will scan when I have time, if anyone's interested. (PM me if I forget.)