1/60 & 1/48 Yamato Valkyries

Hicks

Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I am also a Macross fan. I have two 1/60 Yamato Valkyries, one is YF-19 ([Macross Plus) and the other is VF-1S Super Valkyrie (Roy Focker). I am thinking of converting the VF-1S into Hikaru version using some red paint and altering some stickers. Or, should I just get the 1/48 Hikaru version VF-1S instead. By the way, how much do you guys paid for your 1/60 and 1/48 Valkyries ?

Waiting for your advise and comments, thks !

Hicks

If you can get the 1/48 Hikaru then I highly recommend doing so. But they are kinda tricky to get as they have gone up in price somewhat. You also have alternatives. Get the recently rereleased 1/48 VF-1S Roy, which I think is going for an avg. $140, or find a 1/48 VF-1A Hikaru and get one of Rohby's recast 1/S head. Any of those would be a good alternative.

So where's Hudson?

Yeap. Those suggestions would be the best. If you really want the VF-1S Hikaru and can set aside the $175 tag for it as I have seen in ebay, go for it. IMO, it is a wash on getting the the VF-1S, buy the VF-1S heads and buy the paint and repaint the valk and pain the head, it is a wash because you spend nearly the same amount of money you could have used to buy the VF-1S Hikaru in the 1st place.

Are the 1/60 Roys worth getting? How about the 1/60 Max and Mirei?

sure why not? i have 6 of them. :D

1S reg roy

1S reg roy converted into 1A kaz

1S strike roy

1S strike max, custom

1S strike hikaru, custom

1S strike kakizaki, custom

if you look hard enough, you should be able to find strikes for about $60 or so.

the M&M's are cool but i only bought one of each cause IMO they're pretty useless as far as customizing goes.

Are the 1/60 Roys worth getting? How about the 1/60 Max and Mirei?

I'm a fan of 1/60's so my general answer is "yes". At least based on pictures of the 1/48 1J's, I like the head sculpt of the 1/60 1J's a little better. And the 1/60's in general offer the advantages of price and taking up less room. But there are a few caveats in my experience.

1) Obviously, not as big and detailed and gimmick-filled as the 1/48's.

2) The "balance" isn't that great in battroid mode--too much weight in the legs.

3) Rather difficult transformation in my opinion, at least if you try to do the chest plate exactly right so that it locks fully.

4) Lack of poseability in the arms unless you perform a mod that Drifand describes over at toyboxdx (I think).

5) Generally, a bit of finickiness in posing the battroid.

6) The 1/60 1S head isn't so great.

Compare:1/48 battroid and 1/60 regular and 1/60 strike battroid.

Anyway, I have most of the 1/60's. Another advantage to them is that there's a more complete lineup and there are a number of non-Valk Macross toys that are close to the same scale, including the Yamato Q-Raus, the Millia figures, and some of the old Robotech toys (the 7" destroids, the Regult, and Glaug are all around 1/60).

those comparison pics are really helpful ewilen... for me personally, if there is a choice, get the 1/48 version. The 1/60's are great for the two seater valks and for the Q-rau.

I actually sold my 1/60 VF-1s on ebay... even though it had some sentimental value as my first vf-1 toy it was just dead weight.. and after having my 1/48's for so long, I just began to dislike the thing for it's lack of posability and akwardness of transformation.