Hasegawa VF-1 Wing Reinforcement

Penguin

I've been noticing some curvature developing in some of my Hasegawa VF-1s - primarily those with the UUM-7 pods (heavy little buggers, ain't they?). It's taken about a year to become noticeable. Has anyone done anything to provide some internal reinforcement for the wings to prevent this? If not, does anyone have any bright ideas?

Thanks, Stamen. That's pretty much what I figured I'd have to do. I was just wondering whether anyone had found success with other solutions.

Try using steel wire. There is plenty at your local arts and crafts stores, just ask. It usually sold in a clear tube of three pieces.

They are small enough gauges that you can use on the wings and are strong and stiff enough to support the weight. Just be sure to use the steel type and not the aluminum type.

***If you live in LA, there is a place called Allied Model Trains (in Culver City), they carry a wide selection of gauges and types.

Hope this helps.

I'm glad this came up... It never would have even occurred to me. Is this a problem that's often encountered with normal airplane modeling, or do regular aircraft models normally not have payloads as heavy as the micro-missile boxes on wings as small as a VF-1's?

Another thing that might work is metal strips. If you cut channels and aligned the strips so their flat face was facing forward, it'd take a lot to make those strips bend without buckling... so if you don't give them room to buckle, it should be quite secure. As long as you plug it up with something secure, that is... On the other hand, there's not a whole lot of vertical space in the wing, and slicing most of the way through the wing is bound to weaken it significantly...

The reason I suggest this is because it's probably easier to cut grooves for strips (like with a saw) than to cut grooves for rods.

It's just an idea. I've not done this before.

As for stiffness, is stiffness best, or springiness? I don't know how steel and brass compare in that regard.

The reason I suggest this is because it's probably easier to cut grooves for strips (like with a saw) than to cut grooves for rods.

Cutting grooves for rods is not all that difficult. Given that the typical saw blade is fairly wide already, all you would have to do is lean the blade at a 45 degree angle on both sides to cut a channel.

As for stiffness, is stiffness best, or springiness?  I don't know how steel and brass compare in that regard.

Metals have different properties depending on manufacturing. As for this case, stiffness would probably be better than springiness, as you want the wings to not appear sagging, not to be able to spring back into straight wings after the missile boxes are removed.

most other acft kits even 1/72 scale ones have hollow wings and that is a little more structurally sound than solid wings like the VF-1 kits. also hasegawas trend towards softer plastics lately doesnt help. to correct the problem on an already built kit though try suspending it upside down and gently heating it until they return to shape then cool it quickly by pouring water over it or holding ice near it. i know alot of you dont want to wet your kits but if it is already built you dont have many options.