Removing model paint

lt.actionjackson

Hey guys I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the "other" section so mods please move if necessary. I recently purchased what I thought was a new unassembled model kit of the starship enterprise from someone on these boards. I just started assembling the kit todaywhen I noticed that some of the parts were off the sprues and loose and worst of all, some of the clear parts (nacelle centers, deflector array) had been already painted by the seller. Rather than rant about that, I need to know if it's possible to remove the paint from the clear parts, and a method of removal; or if I should just paint the other clear parts in the closest matching shade of blue. Thanks. BTW, I'm a modeling newbie so bear with me.

Which kit, which parts? Because if you actually intend to "use" the clear parts (paint from behind, etc) I doubt there's anything that can strip off paint without etching/melting the clear parts. If you plan to use them like an opaque piece and paint them on the outside, then you should be okay. Clear parts do behave differently, many thinners/cleaners/strippers will literally liquify them, even if they leave normal plastic perfectly fine.

Awesome article EXO. I've actually been using Simple Green with great results. It takes a little longer, but I've left stuff in the tank for weeks at a time with no effect on the plastic. I just use an ice cream pail and drop the pieces in, seal the lid and check it daily, scrubbing with a soft toothbrush. It doesn't attack the glue, but removes any fillers as well. It doesn't require gloves either. I've used it on clear parts as well with no problem.

Lonnie

Edited by Sweet-1