Pinning resin kits

Less than Super Ostrich

I'm beginning to work on my Cat's Eye (why? Who knows since I have like 6 other models currently in process). I've decided to focus on getting the top and bottom fuselage halves together nicely. This means that I have to do some major puttying. However, I can't do that with the wings in place. Therefore, I've decided to cut off part of the nobs on the wing halves that hold them in place when you put the two fuselage halves together.

In order to reinforce the wings, I think I need to use two pins to keep the wings in place. Does anyone have much experience with this? What do you use for pins? Just cut paper clips? Thanks much.

Also, I assume you use epoxy glue (as opposed to a thick CA glue) to use in the pin holes... is that right? I was under the impression epoxy is stronger than CA.

I use brad nails from my air nailer (various sizes). Cheap, easy to cut or shape, yet plenty strong. If the part is too thin, I've used staples, but generally the smaller parts don't need pins. Take your time and ensure the pins are lined up first, since it's a royal pain to take something apart and repin it. I usually dummy the piece up first, then mark it with a pencil. From there it's just a matter of drilling and installing. Install the pins on the bigger side first, let them dry in place, then slide the other piece (usually a wing) onto the pins.

Hope this helps.

i clip stick pins for smaller parts and big paper clips for biger parts if its a really big piece i use multiple pinning points just take your time with lineing them up man thats the worst when your of a smidge. oh ya, do you feel the jealosey in the air over your cats eye?

I use a little dab of Modelling clay or putty and a magic marker or drop of paint to make pin set marks. Mark the pin hole site on one of the pieces to be pinned, Roll the modelling clay or putty into a tiny ball, stick it on the side of the model part you are going to pin where you want the pin to go, then dab paint or marker ink on the model clay or putty and smush the parts togehter lined up correctly, this will mark the opposing piece were you need to drill the other hole. When you pull the pieces apart the opposite side will be marked, remove the clay or putty and you have your drill sites marked.

There are other techniques but this is the one I use. I have seen other people that drill the first hole, ink the part then press the parts together, this leaves an impression of the part and a gap where the guide hole is, it also leaves yoru parts wet with ink or paint which requires some clean up.

Good luck.

I use a little dab of Modelling clay or putty and a magic marker or drop of paint to make pin set marks. Mark the pin hole site on one of the pieces to be pinned, Roll the modelling clay or putty into a tiny ball, stick it on the side of the model part you are going to pin where you want the pin to go, then dab paint or marker ink on the model clay or putty and smush the parts togehter lined up correctly, this will mark the opposing piece were you need to drill the other hole. When you pull the pieces apart the opposite side will be marked, remove the clay or putty and you have your drill sites marked.

There are other techniques but this is the one I use. I have seen other people that drill the first hole, ink the part then press the parts together, this leaves an impression of the part and a gap where the guide hole is, it also leaves yoru parts wet with ink or paint which requires some clean up.

Good luck.

Thanks, Ghadrack. You are a prince among men.

Yip, I pin one half, with a really short pin - almost flush with the surface, then magic marker the end of the really short pin, push the parts together, and the short pin should make an indent with a marker mark left behind enough to start a hole on the blind half of the piece. Take out the short pin, and replace it with a longer roughed up piece of paperclip for the actual re-inforcement. I use 5min epoxy to actually affix the pins.

If you line up your parts, then marker a small line across each seam to each half in 4 spots, when you remove the parts, use a ruler to 'X' the four lines on each part on the side to be joined. It will give you a center to drill on each part for a pin. If you did it correct, your parts will line right up with the pin.

Edited by Gundamhead