Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle

eriku

Out of curiosity, has anyone's theaters been showing the original Japanese dub of the film? I remember when Spirited Away came out there were some theaters showing it with the original dub. I'd love to see it in the theater with the Japanese audio rather than waiting for the DVD.

I do believe the one Austin location's using subtitles, or so the Austin Chronicle reported.

• 7 months later...

BUMP!!! I just watched it! It was fantastic!! :ph34r:

I don't have to state how good it is since ppl know that Miyazaki is pure genius and pays attention to detail etc.....

So on to the more intricate details of what the story was trying to convey.....i think i'm confused.

SPOILERS:

The story isn't as easily understandable as Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. It started out as a "girl who wanted to break the curse". Halfway through, it turned into "WTF is wrong with Howl?" and then "Why are we fighting ?" then it finally ends with the girl who did...or did not break the curse (cause she still had her white hair) living happily ever after. Seems Calcifer didn't keep his promise to return her to youth....OR she gave him her hair as a 'sacrifice' so she was still young but her hair remained silver. Fair enough...

Then there was the war. Why was there a war? Was it because the prince of the other kingdom was missing? If so, who placed a curse on him to become a scarecrow? I have the impression it would be Sulliman who wanted a war (just to get Howl?) , cursed him. Howl did mention to Turnip head that he stayed out of the castle because his curse would make their location known or something. The war played a very secondary role in the whole film, which i thought shoudl at least be explained why people were being killed and suffering.

And why does everyone want Howl? Because of his powers? Because he made a pact with a demon?

Perhaps Ghibli films should not be analysed. :lol: It was great overall.....but these kinda "plot holes" just bug me.

By the way folks, HMC comes out on DVD March 7th. Also being released that day are Whisper of the Heart and, FINALLY, My Neighbor Totoro. And that I think brings the US up to date on Ghibli DVDs. Now we just need a special edition non-Manga release of Castle of Cagliostro, Miyazaki's first film (non-Ghibli however).

It's based on a book, and a film just simply can't go into the depth of background that a book can.

366387[/snapback]

Ya mean like someone mentioned in this thread, a British children's story thing?

Ya mean like someone mentioned in this thread, a British children's story thing?

366761[/snapback]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006441034...glance&n=283155

That other book there is also quite amusing in a way.

366766[/snapback]

Thanks! From the synopsis, the thing sounds almost identical to miyazaki's version....which has probably has added elements of war. You've read the book? I'll get it if its a good read.

what a coincidence i just saw this yesterday too, when this thread happened to be revived!

not the best miyazaki flick but still excellent. i'm a sucker for beautiful backdrops with good soundtracks.

i agree that things get a little confusing at the end. in fact, i actually liked the english dub better than the original dub because it explained the end better and the dialogue made a little more sense in certain scenes (i hope my japanese comprehension is not getting worse!!!) i especially didn't like how the japanese dub used the same voice actress when sophie was old and young. it just made her sound old throughout the movie.

Edited by cyde01