OT, but for you F-14 fans, a good deal

kl884347

I know this isn't Macross, but I've seen people banter back and forth about diecast

F-14's so I thought I'd post this. Mods please feel free to delete if not appropriate.

The Franklin Mint (Armour) has a 1:48 F-14, Black Night's CAG bird on sale for 22.50 plus 6.95 shipping. Not too bad. I got hit with tax, some of you may not.

Hope some of you enjoy the deal!

You know, I don't think that scheme existed. (As in, that exact scheme--there were many variations of VF-84 high-vis, but that's not one of them)

Specifically---small insignia on the nose below and behind the nose stripe, with white undersides. Small nose insignia came about with grey undersides. Once grey undersides appeared, they never went back, even when large nose insignia (covering the nose stripe) reappeared. Nose insignia and underside color are the 2 main things about VF-84 high-vis variations. Everything else was minor (like modex font and solid vs hollow squadron numbers).

lol, I hope the model of that VF-154 tomcat doesn't resemble the artwork... they made it a B (look at the closeup of the engine fairings), and the nozzles have the texture of P&W nozzles, but the overall shape of GE nozzles...

Ever since the VF-84 bird came out (I noticed the same things David did), my opinion of Franklin Mint's work has gone down.. and this certainly doesn't do anything to improve it (although I suppose it's unlikely that the mint will follow the artists cue.). Hey Dave, did you notice that all of their tomcats use NACES ejection seats? (or otherwise really bastardized Martin/Bakers?)

Edited by Skull Leader

I've heard about accuracy issues,although I don't know enough about variants and paint schemes. I just thought it might be nice for those who wanted something a little better than a Motorworks (or whatever that is that they sell at WalMart) for a few more bucks.

Uh, at least I think it's a little better :-)

PS-Here is a link to the actual toy picture, not a great pic:

http://www.perryaircraft.com/DIECASTAIRPLA...-14_Tomcat.html