Hi I`m new and I have a Problem

Tuffskull

Hi folks, I`m the new one...;) I`m building a F-14 Macross Zero Tomcat. But when I wanted to start the kit it was totally sold out, so I decided to make one by myself using the newest F-14 kit from Revell. As I had the optional hasegawa decals for the Valkyrie I thought it would be easy....does anyone own the original one and can tell me where the military decals are placed...(the un spacey stuff...)??? It would be nice if someone could scan the sheet with the macross markings and mail it to me...!

There was a thread here a while back (cannot find it at the moment ;) ) on using an existing F-14 kit and dress it up a-la Mac 0.

Apparently you will need a couple of kits to get the correct F-14 going as seen in Mac 0!

Andy :)

The big main thing is that Shin's plane has GE engines, and the kit has PW. As military planes go, that's one of the biggest, most visible differences there are. Hornet vs Super Hornet is more obvious, but that's about it. Quick summary:

The kit is an F-14A. I don't have it so can't comment on the exact block, I would guess around Block 95.

Shin has what is officially called an F-14A+ Kai. Of all things, it matches the quite inaccurate Fujimi F-14B prototype kit. It's not equivalent to any real F-14. However, the kit Hasegawa uses is as wrong as you could possibly be, without searching for a Block 75 kit. The engines are the big, main, most important difference between F-14's, and Hasegawa has the wrong ones.

Shin's plane is basically like an F-14B, but with a non-existant ECM antenna array (being one of the main ways to differentiate the models, ECM antennas are important). Also, it has an F-14D's distinctive dual chin-pod, but lacks all other F-14D features.

If you just take an F-14B, add an F-14D's chinpod, and slice off a few ECM antenna's, you'd be VERY close.

However, a large number of F-14B/D kits are wrong to start with. Notably most Revell/Monogram/Fujimi ones.

Tuffskull---what kit is that Tomcatters F-14? Looks like a Hase 1/48 I'd guess based on intake/glove shape, but the rear fuselage is wrong (not that the Hase's totally right). And it looks like Gull Grey overall, which I wasn't aware was ever applied to an F-14D. Black-tail, especially on gull grey, is my fave CAG design, but I only know of a few squadrons that did that.

Edited by David Hingtgen