Newtype USA 2nd Anniversary

wakobi

Here ya go:

Newtype USA Celebrates 2nd Anniversary with return of Bonus DVD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newtype USA celebrates its second anniversary with the return of the BONUS DVD in newsstand issues! Plus: The top 25 anime of all time, voted on by the readers of Newtype USA!

HOUSTON, October 18, 2004—Due to popular demand, Newtype USA will once again include a bonus DVD in every newsstand issue. The return of the fan-favorite disc insert, which was announced today by Newtype USA publisher John Ledford, will begin with the November 2004 issue, just in time to celebrate the second anniversary of the leading anime and manga publication in the English-speaking world.

The DVD insert became a subscriber-only premium in August 2004, after which fans and select retailers rallied to request its return to newsstand issues. "We listened to our loyal readers, who we want to reward with the very best anime magazine, including the incredibly popular DVD insert," Ledford says. "In fact, we're pushing ourselves to pack even more episodes and extras on every bonus DVD!" The November DVD has full episodes from two highly anticipated shows, D•N•Angel and Petite Princess Yucie, along with numerous trailers for other upcoming releases.

November 2004 also marks the second year of publication for Newtype USA, which continues to dominate the market as the top-selling anime magazine in the English-speaking world. To commemorate this momentous milestone, Newtype USA will publish a reader-voted awards feature highlighting the top 25 anime of all time, compiled from over 11,500 votes sent in by readers and collected at anime conventions. "Newtype USA readers are the ultimate anime fans, so it's only fitting that they get to select the best anime of all time," says editor in chief Gary Steinman. "The final list has plenty of surprises; I'm sure it's something anime fans will be debating for years. You don't want to miss this issue!"

Availability

Newtype USA Vol. 3, Issue 11 will be available Nov. 1, 2004 for $12.98. Subscriptions are also available for $89.95 for 12 issues at www.newtype-usa.com.

About Newtype USA:

Newtype USA is the official English-language version of Newtype, Japan's #1 source for information about anime and manga. Newtype USA includes all the best Japanese content translated, plus loads of original U.S. material: anime, manga, music, game, toy and model reviews, feature articles, director interviews, artist profiles, and regular columns by industry experts, tastemakers and deep-cover insiders. Newtype USA also includes awesome bonus gear, such as a centerfold spread, a manga (comic) special and an exclusive DVD insert. For more information, visit http://www.newtype-usa.com.

This press release was posted on AnimeOnDVD.com on: 2004-10-18 11:24:00

About time! :ph34r:<_<

So let me get this straight.

They removed the DVD inserts, but kept the $9.99 price tag.

Now they're bringing it back AND jacking up the price?

Thanks guys. <_<

I see those ADV guys all the time and they're all pretentious dorks. They can suck it. (performs crotch chop) :rolleyes:

Upping the price tag to bring back the dvd insert isn't going to make me want to buy it again any time soon. $90 for a subscription is still inexcusable anyway.

I'll be sticking with my Animerica subscription thank you.

Due to popular demand, Newtype USA will once again include a bonus DVD in every newsstand issue...

Due to popular demand my ass! Someone needs to reword that to "Due to Angry Protests." ADV has got a bug up their stinkhole thinking they can charge and additional $3.00 when you can get other anime magazines out there for a lot less. I owuld rather have the Japanese edition anyways.

Due to popular demand, Newtype USA will once again include a bonus DVD in every newsstand issue...

Due to popular demand my ass! Someone needs to reword that to "Due to Angry Protests." ADV has got a bug up their stinkhole thinking they can charge and additional $3.00 when you can get other anime magazines out there for a lot less. I owuld rather have the Japanese edition anyways.

This is why I never bought the mag in the first place. I'll stand by animerica mag to the day I die.

The magazine sucked anyhow. All it had was pretty pictures. It was pure fluff, and thanks to the centerfold sections, embarassing fluff.

If I really gave a damn about anime anymore I would probably still be reading Protoculture Addicts. Iffy business practices and english as a second language be damned. It was a good magazine.

Not as good as Anime UK of course, but the UK has always had the best geek magazines. (Amiga mags, Arcane, Anime UK, Retro Gamer.. )

Good to know ADV wants to make sure I never pick up an issue again. At least when I spend 8 bucks on an issue of Fangoria, I know I am getting some in depth reporting. Hell, friggin TOYFARE is smarter than Newtype.

I stopped buying the magazine when I realized that about 80% of its contents were cutsey cookie cutter anime. I don't fall into the category of fanboy for magical princesses, cat girls, and ridiculously super powered teen school children. Basically I don't do "cute".

Aside from the occasional decent show or article, it just didn't make sense to pay $10 for a load of crap. I never cared for the DVD, as it almost always contained a show I had no interest in. It also felt that the magazine was pretty much an oversized ADV ad generator. ADV can't begin to give me justification for the increase in price, but there are folks out there who will pay for it. Lots of folks who don't know any better will shell out their cash for the magazine.

I got the subscription when the mag fist started. I was quite excited at first, then discovered that the magazine was useless.

The interviews were useless. Their new show previews never netted much useful information, and why do I care what's on at 8PM in Japan?

What REALLY pissed me off were the Eva articles. One issue highlighted "Great revelations for the renewal project!" It was a few of the crew talking about they would like to do more eva if Anno would let them. That was it. The the page on the actual renewal project was also useless. The cover also spoke highly for the live action project. What was delivered was a 2 page spread of one or two art pieces. Pitiful mag. Maybe they improved it a little now, flipping through one in the store there seemed to be more info in the mag, but there is no way in hell thay can justify 9.99 for the mag, let alone 12.99. It's an insult.

I am quite happy with Animerica. Some decent reviews, articles that are worth something at least, just a good afforable magazine. Nicely supplements all the news sites I traverse online.

I found Newtype nowhere near justifying the excessive cost. The dvd's mifght have been slightly useful, but my backlog in enough that I never touched any of them.