Kinda OT

mikeszekely

I know that, since both Japan and US use NTSC, that it's relatively easy to import games to the US from Japan... in my case, I have a modded PS2. But, can modded a modded NTSC-U/C console play European PAL games? I thought that the number of lines displayed on PAL TVs is different than the number of lines on an NTSC TV and thought that might be a factor. If anyone knows the answer, please tell me.

Depends on the method. You're right, it has something to do with color desplay, so it's up to the abilities of the mod chip. SwapMagic is supposed to work, but I haven't been successful with it. You should try looking up the info on your specific mod method, it shouldn't be hard to find.

I have a DMS3... on their site, they advertise that a modded PS2 with a DMS3 will play all PS2 games. In fact, they had "ALL" in caps, and defined all as "backups, originals, imports, silvers, and DVD9s."

They go on to say that the DMS3 plays all regions of DVDs, with an asterick by all. Down further on the page, they explain by saying that a PAL PS2 with a DMS3 can play all DVDs, but a US or Japanese PS2 can only play NTSC DVDs, due to an issue with the frame buffer length.

They make it sound like an issue with PAL DVD movies, not PAL displays, which shouldn't affect the games, so while they don't definitavely come out and say that a US PS2 with their modchip can play PAL games, they do seem to imply it. But again, if anyone knows something I don't, let me know.

Man, all this trouble for the new Knight Rider game... damn me for being a kid in the 80's...

I have a DMS3... on their site, they advertise that a modded PS2 with a DMS3 will play all PS2 games. In fact, they had "ALL" in caps, and defined all as "backups, originals, imports, silvers, and DVD9s."

They go on to say that the DMS3 plays all regions of DVDs, with an asterick by all. Down further on the page, they explain by saying that a PAL PS2 with a DMS3 can play all DVDs, but a US or Japanese PS2 can only play NTSC DVDs, due to an issue with the frame buffer length.

They make it sound like an issue with PAL DVD movies, not PAL displays, which shouldn't affect the games, so while they don't definitavely come out and say that a US PS2 with their modchip can play PAL games, they do seem to imply it. But again, if anyone knows something I don't, let me know.

Man, all this trouble for the new Knight Rider game... damn me for being a kid in the 80's...

I THINK PAL games will run nicely on NTSC PS2 decks. Not sure, though.