Primer?

VF-19 pilot!!!

just a quick question.

i am about to start building some hasegawas and i wanted to know if primer is always needed? as this will be the first time i ever built these kits i really want them too look good. :D i have already applied weng's tips about the oil washes and the results were oustanding to say the least!

any tips, hints about the necessity of primer? :rolleyes:

thanks again guys :)

I used Tamiya spray-can primer on a Hasegawa F/A-18E and lost no detail at all. In fact, even after the primer, a couple coats of paint and four coats of Future, all of the detail was still there.

In answer to your question, I don't know if you really need to use it, but primer makes flaws stand out so you know what needs some extra attention. Also, if you are puttying anything or adding extra parts that are a different color from the base plastic, you might want to use primer over the whole model so you have a consistent base color to paint on.

Primer is useful at providing a nice, matte surface color that allows you to spot flaws more easily. However, primer also has a secondary purpose: helping paint adhere to a given surface or providing a barrier coat between the paint and the surface.

If you're using model paint on a plastic model kit, you generally don't need primer. If you're unsure about some seams that you've filled, you can just "spot-apply" primer in those key areas. However, if you want to use automotive paints, or industrial finishes on your plastic model, you have to prime, otherwise the strong solvent in the paint will attack and craze your plastic.

Resin kits: generally, I'd recommend at least a quick primer coat, just to help spot any minor flaws, like tiny pinholes you may have otherwise missed. However, unlike plastic, the nature of polyurethane resins allows you to apply pretty much any paint, hobby or industrial, right onto it without problems... Just make sure you washed /lightly sanded the part carefully to remove any residual mold-release.