Guys I need some help with boxsets.

VortexVFX

Well, if you watch the Japanese version, they simply added a lot of stupid video effects (split screen, negative, etc). However, if you watch the English dub:

-some of the worst writing of all time. Everyone has suddenly become a wannabe rapper.

-New music, very low quality rock and rap.

-Edits in the content of the dialouge, including stuff that later becomes central to the plot.

-All the car sounds changed from the authentic sounds in the Japanese version to generic ricer sounds.

-Character names all changed.

Well, if you watch the Japanese version, they simply added a lot of stupid video effects (split screen, negative, etc).

Um, no, this is not correct. That is *optional* and can be turned off.

The dvds contain the full uncut video and Japanese audio with subtitles. Only an idiot would buy the bootlegs over the official release.

The copy of the first tokyopop DVD that I watched did not allow the effects to be disabled. Selecting either the original version or the dub didn not make a diference.

Addtionally, only an idiot would buy the Tokyopop DVDs. Regardless of the Japanese version changes, the edits TP has made to the dub are such that no true fan of Anime should support such a horrible desecration of any series. Buying them is giving the message to Tokyopop that it's OK to do such things to series.

What if someone did this to Macross?....... Oh, wait, THEY DID! It was called Robotech! The difference is that was 20 years ago, before anime was even a word known to most americans. Do we want to return to an age like that, where companies edit series to such a degree that they have no connection to the original but the animation?

The copy of the first tokyopop DVD that I watched did not allow the effects to be disabled. Selecting either the original version or the dub didn not make a diference.

Well then I'm sorry, but you were doing something wrong.

Every TP Initial D dvd has given the option between watching the 'classic' (original, uncut, unaltered) version and the 'tricked out' version (the terrible one with all the video edits).

Addtionally, only an idiot would buy the Tokyopop DVDs. Regardless of the Japanese version changes, the edits TP has made to the dub are such that no true fan of Anime should support such a horrible desecration of any series. Buying them is giving the message to Tokyopop that it's OK to do such things to series.

Bottom line - it's just a dub. Who cares when the proper version is there in it's correct form anyway.

Edited by Panon

Well then I'm sorry, but you were doing something wrong.

Every TP Initial D dvd has given the option between watching the 'classic' (original, uncut, unaltered) version and the 'tricked out' version (the terrible one with all the video edits).

Bottom line - it's just a dub. Who cares when the proper version is there in it's correct form anyway.

The one I watched was a very early production model, before the DVDs went on sale. Maybe that's why the Classic version didn't work properly.

Still, the TP DVDs are in the neighborhood of 25 bucks for 4 episodes. The HK sets are 35 for the entire series! And the subtitling and video quality are as good as, if not better then, the TP version.

Well, if you watch the Japanese version, they simply added a lot of stupid video effects (split screen, negative, etc).

Um, no, this is not correct. That is *optional* and can be turned off.

The dvds contain the full uncut video and Japanese audio with subtitles. Only an idiot would buy the bootlegs over the official release.

Actually, from what I've heard you're wrong there, buddy. It seems dialogue was edited for content in the Tokyopop subtitled version. Here's what I've heard, some of wich may or may not be true.

Even in the subtitled version, the original music is not used as the music rights were seperate and too expensive for Tokyopop to pick up. I'm not certain this one is true.

The entire subplot of the one girl's "papa" is still edited from the subtitled dialogue. I'm fairly certain I heard this from a reliable source. Names are unchanged, but Tokyopop has a reputation for bad dialogue translations. Still, other than the missing subplot, I imagine they're better than a bootleg, if not quite up to par with subtitles by nearly every other legitimate distributer.

I think I also recall hearing that while the ricer sounds were toned down in the subtitled version, they're still not the same sounds as the original Japanese audio, this one could also be wrong though.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not a huge ID fan, so I'm not inclined to get the series either way, but this is what I heard from friends who were huge ID fans, and from forums on the web.

Actually, the HK ID sets aren't bootlegs. They're legitimate releases, licensed and all, just for HK sale. They even have the "The original copyright proprietor has licensed this.... etc warning on them, and a barcode. True unlicensed bootlegs have barcodes very rarely.

News to me, but I'm about 9000miles away from my boxed sets so I can't double check. Horrendous what TokyoPop did to Initial D, almost makes me glad I stopped caring about/watching Initial D...

The translations arn't edited.

The Natsuki/Papa relationship on Tokyopop's DVD's are still the same as the original japanese storyline.

The english dub is different.

It's misleading. Tokyopop DID change the Natsuki/Papa relationship in the manga, but then changed it back to what it was originally due to fan outcry. The anime is unchanged. Besides, the relationship doesn't even get into detail until Second Stage when Emperor shows up.

No translation edits, no audio edits (all the original BGM's and songs are still there), no visual edits.

In fact, it's painfully obvious that Tokyopop actually have 8 episodes per DVD (how it's possible, I don't know) due to the english/japanese versions. The english dub has so many edits in it, that finishing times are different, and most episodes in english cut to the credits a good 2-3 minutes before what they originally did, unedited. If you can understand what I'm saying.