Oh the Irony Mr Lucas.

Ladic

But the thing is... Star Wars is Georgie's creation. If he wanted things a certian way, he's free to do so since Star Wars is his creation.

Yeah, I guess at the end of the day, he does have a right to do with his creations as he pleases. It's just that the changes he's making are probably flat out insulting the many special effects crew that originally worked on the films and helped them become the successes they were.

The most hypocritical thing about Lucas' comments regarding this new Three Stooges DVD, is that he's still complaining even though the original versions of the film will still be available. Unlike the original trilogy, which I prefer since it's not only the version I grew up with, but since I also find a lot of the new blatantly obvious CG effects very distracting.

As has been said, the best solution would be to make both versions of the trilogy available. Even Lucas' friend Spielberg acknowledged this with the disastrous new CG enhanced version of ET, the DVD set of which specifically included the original cut of the film along with the new one.

you knwo why he's doing this?

he's doing it so that when he dies, there will be laws making it ILLEGAL for anyone to come after Lucas and release the original trillogy in it's original format: because it isn't the artistic view of the creator [lucas].

i feel this is his motivation.

Yeah, I guess at the end of the day, he does have a right to do with his creations as he pleases. It's just that the changes he's making are probably flat out insulting the many special effects crew that originally worked on the films and helped them become the successes they were.

Not to mention the directors, the scriptwriters, and some of the actors. (Sebastian Shaw being removed as the idealized force image of Anakin comes to mind.)

Even Lucas' friend Spielberg acknowledged this with the disastrous new CG enhanced version of ET, the DVD set of which specifically included the original cut of the film along with the new one.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder how much Lucas actually had to do with the things that made Indiana Jones cool, and how much of it was actually Speilberg's. I'm guessing silly bits like Shorty was entirely Lucas's doing.

-Al

Meh... who cares?

So Lucas is sort of contradicting himself... its not going to change the fate of SW. Just because everyone is "on to him" isn't going to change his mind about the DVDs. I mean, does it really deserve a whole thread considering we've already got other threads dedicated to SW and its "fans?" :)

I mean... I seem to recall the last VHS release of the OT non-SE having advertisements stating that it was the LAST TIME it would be available in its original form. I think I like it better that Lucas is sticking to it... rather than repeatedly saying its the last time(we really mean it!) ... and then 2 years later coming out with the same thing again.. a la Disney.

I think I like the Stooge's better in black and white anyway. Colorization looks really cheap in the cases I've seen.

Threads like this always make me laugh. Arguments about the OT: SE aside, people still can't look past their own myopic points of view when Lucas does something ostensibly good for film. the man genuinely can't win. He could save a schoolbus full of hungry orphans, and fanboys would still bitch "Thanks for nothing, Luca$. Those orphans were good enough for you to save, but you still won't give me the original Star Wars on DVD? Why should I care about those orpahns? I grew up with Star Wars, dammit! I hate you! You raped my childhood!"

Seriously, some of you really need to get outside more often.

Lucas should keep his contraversial opinions out of the public eye...

I think most famous people should keep their opinions to themselves. Sure, they're entitled to their opinions, but too many celebrities use their fame as a platform the voice their opinions, when many times they are not necessarily qualified to speak on the topics.

That's not my point at all. Lucas is just an example of any famous figure whose is more than willing to throw around their own opinions when some hot topic pisses them off. However, they cry foul when the public criticizes them and they are suffering from fan backlash. If Lucas dislikes all the bad press he's been getting from fans and the media in recent years, maybe he should think about a little damage control. Just an opinion, since we're all having so much fun dishing them out :)

Last I checked, Lucas wasn't suffering too much from fan backlash. His fanbase is not made entirely out of hardcore fanboys. They do buy the most toys though. ;)

even the hardcore fanboys who bitch and whine usually buy his stuff

"oh man, this sucks, i can't beleive he won't release the one i want, i don't even want SE. of coures, i'll buy 8 copys and all the varients and action figures. but man, i hope lucas gets the message. "

i havn't bought anything star wars related since the vhs ot came out. i refuse to buy anything from this franchise that doesn't fit what I feel are standards for a good product.

i dont' care if it's lucas' baby, i don't care if its his original vision, i own't buy it if it sucks. i encourage other fans to do this.

Last I checked, Lucas wasn't suffering too much from fan backlash. His fanbase is not made entirely out of hardcore fanboys. They do buy the most toys though. ;)

Again, the point is missed. I never said Lucas specifically was suffering from fan backlash, but I know public perception of him is less than ideal...without burrowing through the "hardcore fanboy" zones of the opinionated net. Lucas does suffer from intense criticism (regardless of the state of his wallet) and his statements to the press in the last few years have all but indicated his frustration with the unending requests to stop modifiying his own works. If he's tired of telling fans he won't release theatrical versions of the original Star Wars trilogy, maybe he should avoid acting in ways that invite discussion of the subject. Such as this article.

The only backlash I know Lucas most likely feels is from film critics, they panned Eps 1 and 2 like catfish. I even read a review in a local paper in which the critic pleaded with Lucas (in the review not in person) to never direct a movie again. Outside of most movie critics groaning and squirming in their seats to leave the screenings of his movies Lucas can't hear any naysayers way up there on top of that giant pile of money he sits on. After all, you can make the worst trash in the world and if people keep buying and buying and buying then even if all the people in the world call your product crap you won't hear them over the sounds of the cash registers ringing. The only way to shut Lucas up is to stop buying his stuff... but he is so ingrained in the hollywood market with ILM and all his other business ventures that spawned from Star Wars that even if SW tanked he would still be a millionare and still pissing off fanboys. Lucas is the Bill Gates of the movie world, he went from nothing to everything with one product and keeps riding that product like a pony which causes everyone to either idolize him or villify him. In the end he is just another uber rich societally detatched old white guy spounting what he feels like saying when he feels like saying it.