G Gundam

claiming that you don't want to watch the show because the MS is too ugly is a very poor excuse.

*cough* I seem to remember you ranting several times how awful Gasaraki was because of the damn ugly TA's. :p

Edited by bsu legato

claiming that you don't want to watch the show because the MS is too ugly is a very poor excuse.

*cough* I seem to remember you ranting several times how awful Gasaraki was because of the damn ugly TA's. :p

Yeah... but I never said that was the reason why I didn't like the show. <_<

When the designers come up with yet another RX-78 wannabe, the fans are like "LOL lazy designers these robots all look the same. Please go find some idea". When the designers come with something fresh, the fans are like "LOL stupid designers and their new robots. Please bring the MONOEYE ZAKU !!!"

Oh well... :rolleyes:

Anyway I agree with A-Bombz, a lot of Gundam mechas are goofier/uglier than the Turn A. First, Zeta, V and Turn are all great series and yet they're filled with goofy, cheesy and ugly "Monster of The Week Trying to Kill Our Renpou/AEUG/Liga Militia/Inglessa Militia buddies". Zeta is one of my fave when it comes to story/chara, but the cheesy MAs deployed by the Titans are quite something...

Also agree with what ChrisG said. It seems to me a lot of fans (not directed to anyone particulary) are into the franchises just because "OMG the robot kicks ass". Sure I do like mechas but that ain't the only thing in the show.

I'd rather watch Turn A Gundam (which has goofy mechas but incredibly good story and characters) rather than Gundam 0083 (which has "OMG super powerful robots of death" but crappy story and cardboard characters).

(PS: I still like both :-) )

PS: I propose we replace all the mechas from series with a single generic RB-79 Ball, so people could focus on the story and the characters :lol:

PS: I propose we replace all the mechas from series with a single generic RB-79 Ball, so people could focus on the story and the characters :lol:

Conversely, I bet G-Gundam wouldn't draw nearly as many complaints as it does if it weren't a part of the Gundam franchise. Maybe they just should have called it Super Nationality Stereotype Robot Battle.

And yes, I too have found that 0083 hasn't really held up upon repeat viewings.

And yes, I too have found that 0083 hasn't really held up upon repeat viewings.

I'm surprised it help up after the first viewing to you. <_<

The openings are catchy :ph34r:

Ok... good reason. I suppose if I use it too... I will be able to sit through 1 episode of Seed without puking my guts. :ph34r:

The openings are catchy :ph34r:

Yes, that was part of it as I recall. There was Kou, so full of promise and so eager to excell. Run Kou, run after Nina and prove yourself. And Gato...you'd make him respect you, wouldn't you Kou?

Ah well, nice mecha though.

The openings are catchy  :ph34r:

Yes, that was part of it as I recall. There was Kou, so full of promise and so eager to excell. Run Kou, run after Nina and prove yourself. And Gato...you'd make him respect you, wouldn't you Kou?

Ah well, nice mecha though.

You forgot to say..... whine Kou! Whine like no other anime character ever has.

Too bad they had to kill Burning. I still suspect it was a plot created by Kou, because Burning was planning on upstaging Kou, stealing the GP01 and flying away with Nina. :p

Yes....I sure have remembered the whining. Or perhaps I just blocked it out?

Too bad they had to kill Burning.

Standard procedure, I'm afraid. The mentor has to die halfway through, so that the hero can spend an episode sulking, only to return to duty with renewed conviction. This usually coincides with a new Mecha being bestowed upon said pilot. In this case, it was the GP01fb.

Edited by bsu legato

Yes....I sure have rermembered the whining. Or perhaps I just blocked it out?

If you have.... you must teach me how to!! This way.,... I will be able to expand my anime horizons over whine heavy anime. :lol:

Standard procedure, I'm afraid. The mentor has to die halfway through, so that the hero can spend an episode sulking, only to return to duty with renewed conviction. This usually coincides with a new Mecha being bestowed upon said pilot. In this case, it was the GP01fb.

Please don't ruin it for people who enjoy cliché scripts written by liberal arts college dropouts.

Also, this thread needs more Gato catchphrases. Random phrases ending with "For my noble comrades who died for the spacenoid cause" will do. :rolleyes:

Edited by Yoshi

The mentor thing doesn't always work..... Amuro didn't have a mentor. Camiles mentor, Quatro, didn't die untill the end. Judo didn't have a mentor.... and so on.

Well, Judo didn't need a mentor, because he can evolve from an ape to Amuro to Camille to himself.

The mentor thing doesn't always work..... Amuro didn't have a mentor. Camiles mentor, Quatro, didn't die untill the end. Judo didn't have a mentor.... and so on.

Well, Judo didn't need a mentor, because he can evolve from an ape to Amuro to Camille to himself.

lol.... I never got that intro. :lol:

I guess having random squences in an intro must make it cool or something. :p

Edited by Abombz!!

cliché scripts written by liberal arts college dropouts.

Bringing this thread full circle (and ironically, back on topic) there was an interesting link posted on the old MW forums, once upon a time. It was an interview with one of the veteran Gundam staff discussing G Gundam. Basically, after Tomino had had enough ( sometime after F91 bombed, I believe) Sunrise basically forced G Gundam onto the staff.

"Hey, you're making this new show for us. Make the Gundams whacky and stereotypical. And since DBZ is popular, make it about fighting" Sunrise told them.

"Uhh...isn't this patently offensive to many different countries." asked the staff?

"Nah, just put a 'Neo' in front of the country names."

There was a lot more, but it basically dispelled any notion that G Gundam was the result of any real artistic writing. Perhaps somebody still has the link?

I don't see how DBZ would be any influence on G Gundam... simply because back then, DBGT was already on the air, and it was failing miserably.

As for Bandai forcing G Gundam on the staff.... that doesn't sound too farfetched. I guess they got tired of old man Tomino and decided to go their own way with Gundam, making something completly original (or was it?). I guess what they were looking for was a show that could set the stage for a completly new line of shows.... and G GUndam probably didn't appeal the staff as much as Bandai hoped.

Apparently Seed has..... and thats bad news. <_<

cliché scripts written by liberal arts college dropouts.

Bringing this thread full circle (and ironically, back on topic) there was an interesting link posted on the old MW forums, once upon a time. It was an interview with one of the veteran Gundam staff discussing G Gundam. Basically, after Tomino had had enough ( sometime after F91 bombed, I believe) Sunrise basically forced G Gundam onto the staff.

"Hey, you're making this new show for us. Make the Gundams whacky and stereotypical. And since DBZ is popular, make it about fighting" Sunrise told them.

"Uhh...isn't this patently offensive to many different countries." asked the staff?

"Nah, just put a 'Neo' in front of the country names."

There was a lot more, but it basically dispelled any notion that G Gundam was the result of any real artistic writing. Perhaps somebody still has the link?

Exactly. A couple years ago, I've read an interview of a G Gundam staff member, and he said almost the same things. He said something like "At the time Bandai bought a lot of Sunrise stocks, so they forced this parody of a show on us. That's sad but well, Bandai had the stocks and thus the power."

PS: The Ape-Amuro-Camille-Judo sequence is a cosmic message, the key to the destiny of mankind. If you don't get it, that's sad. However don't ask me how a cosmic message lost itself in the opening of ZZ Gundam. <_<

I don't see how DBZ would be any influence on G Gundam... simply because back then, DBGT was already on the air, and it was failing miserably.

Well, not necessarily DBZ then, although the timing does still allow for it. DBZ was just (then) the latest in a line of "Suppa Fighting" shows.

Well, not necessarily DBZ then, although the timing does still allow for it. DBZ was just (then) the latest in a line of "Suppa Fighting" shows.

Not the latest.... the last. DBZ was the last of the Suppa Fighta shows.

I'm afraid that SEED has usurped that "honor." Then again, when Tomino tried to do something different and made Turn-A, the fans crucified him. We Gundam fans are a fickle lot. :rolleyes:

Don't forget that those Gundam fans wanted Syd Mead to join alongside Tomino for dissing them with his mobile suit designs.

I guess I'm the only one here who likes the Freedom Gundam, but I have trouble with things with wings.

When I first saw it, the first thought was "it's a double of Double X Gundam" (from Gundam X). Yet, they tried to kitbash it into a reasonable fashion. I liked it more than the Strike, which is now owned by Mwu.

whoopee...characters standing still, bland storyline, that never seems to end, DBZ-style character interaction, wierd "special attacks"..yaaaaaaaaaaay....

And the mechas...BLEH!

There are only three mecha that look cool in that show, and that's the Shining and Burning gundam, and France's gundam without that corny head or "special attack".

I take it you never heard of super robot anime?

http://www.animefringe.com/magazine/02.09/...re/9/index.php3

I take it you never heard of super robot anime?

http://www.animefringe.com/magazine/02.09/...re/9/index.php3

Come on! Getta Robo, Mazinger and the like were never cliche! Unless you count mindless fun Super Robot action as cliche..... hmmm...... now it makes sense. :lol:

The Turn A Gundam is far from ugly. I can name many MSs that are far uglier then it: all Titans MAs, all Seed MSs, most of Axis MAs, just about every Zancare Empire MSs, the Zakus, Goufs, Zeon Aquatic MSs. All those are from successful shows, claiming that you don't want to watch the show because the MS is too ugly is a very poor excuse.

Hey, Strike's not bad looking at all, and neither is Astray. OTOH, SEED gave us Freedom and Justice, plus such gortesque designs like the Zono and GOOhN, so it has ugly design overall.

I guess I'm the only one here who likes the Freedom Gundam, but I have trouble with things with wings.

When I first saw it, the first thought was "it's a double of Double X Gundam" (from Gundam X). Yet, they tried to kitbash it into a reasonable fashion. I liked it more than the Strike, which is now owned by Mwu.

You have got to be the only person I've ever seen who prefers the Freedom to Strike. To me, for some reason, Strike is Kira's gundam, freedom is, well, something else. And I'm a huge SEED fan, I mean, I did cosplay Kira....