Alien: Covenant (formerly known as Prometheus 2)

taksraven

This is going to give me nightmares "eight foot tall albino in a cybernetic gimp suit".

I'll check out Isolation for sure and  I agree about what movies to accept into Alien cannon.

Covenant could have been an okay entry into the Alien mythology, even as a direct sequel to Prometheus, except that there were more stupid characters. Not all mind you, but enough to to convince me that Weyland-Yutani actively sought functional idiots for space missions. 

Super OT, but I've been watching John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness almost on repeat the past few days and that was one movie that had an interesting take on Sci Fi, Horror and Religion. But I'm a huge Carpenter fan and am biased in my opinion. :D

-b.

2 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Covenant could have been an okay entry into the Alien mythology, even as a direct sequel to Prometheus, except that there were more stupid characters. Not all mind you, but enough to to convince me that Weyland-Yutani actively sought functional idiots for space missions. 

As unpleasant and dangerous as space travel apparently is in the Alien franchise, I can kinda see why that might be the case.

I mean, it'd take a certain sort of gung-ho or desperate idiot to voluntarily spend months or years of their lives in cold sleep aboard a slow ship going nowhere important... especially if that ship is overseen on its voyage by cold, unfeeling, amoral AIs programmed and directed by a megacorporation famous for its cavalier attitude towards health and safety violations, worker rights, and basic preventative maintenance.  Doubly so in the case of these colonists, who are headed on a one-way trip to a newly discovered planet.  If the survey crews are as sloppy as the Covenant's crew, they might've just missed an alien virus that causes apocalyptic diarrhea in humans or that it occasionally rains sulfuric acid.  Even if everything goes fine you're still stuck with Big Brother the Computer, an android with a timeshare in the Uncanny Valley, and a bunch of similarly gung-ho or desperate idiots on some barren rock months or years away from help.

(If you're lucky, your boss is Captain Hollister from Red Dwarf, though... like the LV-426 colonists in Aliens had.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba