Macross Cosplay by Super Dimension Foto Patreon (New Set Sept 2019)

Roy Focker

I wonder though. Since you're using female for Hikaru. Why not, use a wig for the Hikaru character? I mean, I've seen girls do male characters in some conventions and they do use the specific character hairstyle as part of their overall look. And if it's not blackish blue hair, photoshop it in post-prod.

I appreciate the effort for doing this but inquiring minds want to know. Is this more like just relying on the costume and not the overall look? I know your Mirage have the 'elven' ear going on but how about the other characters with their signature look?

^_^ 

It was an early design and cost decision.  Good wigs are expensive, they need to be maintained and styled/fitted by a professional stylist to look good.  Plus aesthetically I don't care for wigs unless they are done really well.  There's some common stylistic similarities among cosplay photography that tries to make realism look like anime.  For example everyone can tell when someone is wearing a wig and when there's heavy use of Photoshop but they accept it as part of a known style.  I prefer more realism.

You may find in the future (and in previous examples) that the models might not all be good matches with the character's they represent.  In my experience there are amateur models out there that look the part but lack the professionalism that comes with being an professional model.  I've been burned a couple of times.  When possible even though they might not have a character's signature look I've been leaning towards using professional models.   In those cases we rely on the costume and model's ability to express the desired emotion.

Two more sample pictures of Hikaru & Misa trying to survive.  You might notice there's a natural height difference between the 2.   We've also done a studio shoot together where we've fixed it.  More beach pictures of them not speaking to each other and looking all depressed will still be available for the Patreon starting in July.  

sample3.jpgsample4.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nothing on the front page.  The site hasn't really been using it for anything in months.  I suspect it will eventually be replaced.  I've only been updating with a cosplay post every 2 months.  The next one would have been due in August but I've got no cosplay announcements for August.  The next update after that would have been in October.  I'm going to wait to see what will eventually happen to the front page.  I'll post regular updates here as needed.

For weekly cosplay & non-cosplay picture updates can be found on Instagram

@superdimensionfoto

• 2 months later...

Now Sharing 15th Set Preview Pictures ( November Release)

To view all the pictures please visit the Patreon Page by Clicking Here and consider being a supporter.  All contributions collected through Patreon go directly to funding this project.

What's Misa doing with Hikaru's jacket and helmet?   Simple Hikaru has gone missing and Misa is going to look for him!  The real reason is that we were asking people about interesting locations.  A small airport said yes.  We rushed over as soon as we could.

In case you're wondering where's Set 14.  That picture set didn't include cosplay.  There will be an alternating mix of cosplay and non-cosplay content.   Some more sample pictures from the 15th set will be posted here during October.  Regular updates for all sorts of photography will be posted on Instagram @superdimensionfoto

s8.jpgs1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last 2 sample pictures from this set.  Rest will for the Patreon

The next picture set isn't likely to be another cosplay one and samples won't be shared here.  For weekly cosplay & non-cosplay picture updates can be found on Instagram

@superdimensionfoto

s4.jpgs5.jpg

• 3 months later...

Now Sharing 17th Set Preview Pictures ( March Release)

To view all the pictures please visit the Patreon Page by Clicking Here and consider being a supporter.  All contributions collected through Patreon go directly to funding this project.  For weekly cosplay & non-cosplay picture updates can be found on Instagram @superdimensionfoto

Okay time to explain what's going on.  I planned on a 3 model shoot.  Minutes before she was suppose to arrive the model I picked to portray Minmay called in sick.  The other 2 models showed up and I was using rented studio space.   Too late to cancel and too expensive to try again with 3 models.  Decided to go forward with things.  Pictures in this photo set represent the scene in dyrl where Misa goes to visit Hikaru with the translated lyrics only to discover Minmay is there.   Misa's model thus ended up portraying both Minmay and Misa.  I did later find a new model to portray Minmay for a different set of pictures.

sample1.jpgsample2.jpgsample3.jpg

More sample images to follow during this month.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last 2 sample pictures from this set.  Rest will for the Patreon

The next picture set isn't likely to be another cosplay one and samples won't be shared here.  For weekly cosplay & non-cosplay picture updates can be found on Instagram

@superdimensionfoto

sample7.jpgsample8.jpg

• 2 months later...

Now Sharing 19th Set Preview Pictures ( July Release)

To view all the pictures please visit the Patreon Page by Clicking Here and consider being a supporter.  All contributions collected through Patreon go directly to funding this project.  For weekly cosplay & non-cosplay picture updates can be found on Instagram @superdimensionfoto

Now here's a familiar face!   Here "I" am in the new regulation flight suit.   Had to borrow Max's jacket.   The other sample pictures from this set (Roy part 1/2) will be shared over June on Instagram and other social media sites.  

sample4.jpgsample2.jpg

• 6 months later...

Now Sharing 22nd Set Preview Pictures ( January Release)

Part 2 is almost here.   Other photos sets were release between this and part 1.  Those sets werean't Macross based cosplay.  The other sample pictures from this set (Roy part 2/2) will be shared over December on Instagram and other social media sites.  

sample1.jpgsample6.jpg

• 3 months later...

Now Sharing 24th Set Preview (May Release)

It has been a while.  So much time went by that Vanessa Laird has done something with her hair.  Truth is not every set is Macross related and I'm only sharing when it is.

Please visit the Patreon Page by Clicking Here and consider being a supporter.  All contributions collected through Patreon go directly to funding this project.   Contributors at VF-1D level or above will have instant access to over dozen prior photo sets.  For weekly cosplay & non-cosplay picture updates can be found on Instagram @superdimensionfoto

s3.jpg

• 4 months later...

Now Sharing the 26th Set Preview (September Release)

Minmay & Myung is the subject of next Macross related cosplay set.  It will be release in September on the Patreon Page by Clicking Here.   More sample pictures from this set and from others can be found on Instagram @superdimensionfoto

s1.jpg

s5.jpg