Macross Crossover Live

Tochiro

Thanks for the kind words guys. I honestly didnt mean to rant for so long, but it seems that no one reviews concerts online anymore. Normally all I can find is a half-legible fanboi blog filled with lulz.

That 15th Anniversary review at (the now defunct EX.ORG) blew me away when I read it a decade ago. Noone does stuff like that anymore so I try to make a point of posting impressions that are as detailed as possible.

Now if only I could start remembering set lists ^^;

I wouldn't call it a rant. In fact, it was one of the most thorough reviews of a live event that I have ever read. I could imagine how it all went down due to your review. For that, I must thank you.

Here's hoping for a DVD release.

I wouldn't call it a rant. In fact, it was one of the most thorough reviews of a live event that I have ever read. I could imagine how it all went down due to your review. For that, I must thank you.

Here's hoping for a DVD release.

Exactly. Tochiro, that wasn't a rant at all. That was in fact THE best concert review I have ever read on any forum, PERIOD. Excellent job man :)

Tochiro are you native Japanese? If not, what ethnicity are you? I assume you speak fluent Japanese, and know your way around Japan? It must be pretty awesome living there bro.

I honestly would have seriously considered giving the middle finger to my job and go to Japan for the concert if I had known it would be THAT awesome. But not knowing Japanese at all and having never been there before, it would have definitely been a disadvantage to say the least :lol:

That is why they need to hold a Macross event of this magnitude in the US. Do it at the Anime Expo or Comic Con at least! It's just not fair that the rest of us missed out :(

I *WILL* say however, that I have been fortunate enough to meet several Macross people when they attended Anime Expo a few years ago. I was EXTREMELY lucky to meet Yoko Kanno when she attended AX back in I think '99. Got home video footage of her sitting down and talking to a roundtable of guests at the meet the guests reception, and then was able to attend her live piano concert recital the next day.

That was also the same weekend Mari Ijima attended AX, and I was lucky enough to meet her and got home videos of her chatting with fans at her Guests of Honor Panel, as well as her AX concert which was amazing! Saw her again at the Genghis Khan restaurant a couple weeks later too!

I also met the Japanese VA's for Myung and Isamu at Anime Expo....forgot what year it was, 2000 I think. Met Hikariku Mikimoto(sp?) the following year I think it was, and then met Shoji Kawamori during his AX visit as well where he signed my Macross TV series dvd box set. All of these guests are on home video too so I will cherish this footage for life! Lots of good times :)

So yeah, I've been fortunate enough to meet several people in the macross universe so it isn't all that bad. But going to that concert would have definitely topped all those things IMHO.

Exactly. Tochiro, that wasn't a rant at all. That was in fact THE best concert review I have ever read on any forum, PERIOD. Excellent job man :)

Tochiro are you native Japanese? If not, what ethnicity are you? I assume you speak fluent Japanese, and know your way around Japan? It must be pretty awesome living there bro.

I honestly would have seriously considered giving the middle finger to my job and go to Japan for the concert if I had known it would be THAT awesome. But not knowing Japanese at all and having never been there before, it would have definitely been a disadvantage to say the least :lol:

That is why they need to hold a Macross event of this magnitude in the US. Do it at the Anime Expo or Comic Con at least! It's just not fair that the rest of us missed out :(

I *WILL* say however, that I have been fortunate enough to meet several Macross people when they attended Anime Expo a few years ago. I was EXTREMELY lucky to meet Yoko Kanno when she attended AX back in I think '99. Got home video footage of her sitting down and talking to a roundtable of guests at the meet the guests reception, and then was able to attend her live piano concert recital the next day.

That was also the same weekend Mari Ijima attended AX, and I was lucky enough to meet her and got home videos of her chatting with fans at her Guests of Honor Panel, as well as her AX concert which was amazing! Saw her again at the Genghis Khan restaurant a couple weeks later too!

I also met the Japanese VA's for Myung and Isamu at Anime Expo....forgot what year it was, 2000 I think. Met Hikariku Mikimoto(sp?) the following year I think it was, and then met Shoji Kawamori during his AX visit as well where he signed my Macross TV series dvd box set. All of these guests are on home video too so I will cherish this footage for life! Lots of good times :)

So yeah, I've been fortunate enough to meet several people in the macross universe so it isn't all that bad. But going to that concert would have definitely topped all those things IMHO.

Meeting Yoko Kanno, Shoji Kawamori and Mikimoto are pretty awesome in themselves!

Those of us that live in Europe really miss out on most of these events!

Meeting Yoko Kanno, Shoji Kawamori and Mikimoto are pretty awesome in themselves!

Those of us that live in Europe really miss out on most of these events!

Thanks Marzan. Yeah you have a good point. Well, let's hope they will somehow make it out to Europe someday for an anime event so that you get a chance to meet them :)

Nope, I'm definately not Japanese although I can fool the odd local on the phone every now and then, lol.

Originally from Australia, but have been in Japan for about 8 years now (honestly, I've kinda lost track ^^; )

And yes, I feel EXTREMELY lucky to be here during this point in time. A few years ago when Mac 0 came out it had minimal promotion and was not even on the radar of most casual anime fans. At that time I could never have predicted the sort of renewal and surge in popularity that Macross in general is getting now. Its a great time to be in Japan, but more than that its just a great time to be a Macross fan imo.

Having said that, those are some pretty awesome experiences you've listed there. The thing about Japan is that, although we get all the BIG events, theres hardly ever and meet and greets, signings or anything like that. So to be able to actually meet someone involved with Macross is a dream that will forever go unrealised for the vast majority of Japanese fans.

Sounds like you have some great memories from those events. Treasure them :-) Its a shame that, with the way the bulk of 'anime fandom' seems to be heading in the west, there is probably almost no chance of getting Macross-related guests at conventions anymore (at least, not like in the 90's).

If there was a signing session with Kanno or Mikimoto or Kawamori involved, Id be heading straight over to the US for a week!

Anyways, next up will be a FireBomber concert review at the end of the month! Keep an eye out for it ;-)

Nope, I'm definately not Japanese although I can fool the odd local on the phone every now and then, lol.

Originally from Australia, but have been in Japan for about 8 years now (honestly, I've kinda lost track ^^; )

And yes, I feel EXTREMELY lucky to be here during this point in time. A few years ago when Mac 0 came out it had minimal promotion and was not even on the radar of most casual anime fans. At that time I could never have predicted the sort of renewal and surge in popularity that Macross in general is getting now. Its a great time to be in Japan, but more than that its just a great time to be a Macross fan imo.

Having said that, those are some pretty awesome experiences you've listed there. The thing about Japan is that, although we get all the BIG events, theres hardly ever and meet and greets, signings or anything like that. So to be able to actually meet someone involved with Macross is a dream that will forever go unrealised for the vast majority of Japanese fans.

Sounds like you have some great memories from those events. Treasure them :-) Its a shame that, with the way the bulk of 'anime fandom' seems to be heading in the west, there is probably almost no chance of getting Macross-related guests at conventions anymore (at least, not like in the 90's).

If there was a signing session with Kanno or Mikimoto or Kawamori involved, Id be heading straight over to the US for a week!

Anyways, next up will be a FireBomber concert review at the end of the month! Keep an eye out for it ;-)

Tochiro. Looking forward to your review of that upcoming concert.

I'm curious about this comment:

Its a shame that, with the way the bulk of 'anime fandom' seems to be heading in the west, there is probably almost no chance of getting Macross-related guests at conventions anymore (at least, not like in the 90's).

Can you expand a bit on this? Are you saying anime fandom is becoming less popular in the west? That's interesting. I have also heard similar things from some friends of mine. But if the attendance of our Anime Expo here California is anything to go by, it sure doesn't seem like it :lol: Over 40,000 people attended the expo.