Stunning Korean Mecha CG

Mowe

Glad to see motion capture animation has progressed this far in Korea (you should've seen it back in 2000...)

I doubt that Macross will get this level of quality. For starts, Korea is a lot more high tech (as in computers/access points to the internet) than Japan. Production costs are generally significantly cheaper (PPP aside, Korean tend to work longer hours) And, let's keep in mind that Macross robots have jet and gerwalk modes. How can you motion capture those? Not to mention numerous different VF designs.

I doubt that the Taekwon V movie will have more than a handful of designs... despite the increased polygon count, it's still easier than three or four different designs in the same shot.

Good quality animation, no doubt... but badly lacking in the design dept. Nevermind that Taekwon V isn't even original. Guess they'll continue to animate other people's stuff for cheap till they get there... or excel in making corny love dramas, animating stuff for cheap for other people. ^_^

Good quality animation, no doubt... but badly lacking in the design dept. Nevermind that Taekwon V isn't even original. Guess they'll continue to animate other people's stuff for cheap till they get there... or excel in making corny love dramas, animating stuff for cheap for other people. ^_^

Considering when Taekwon V was designed and also considering the historic context of the design, it's no more or less than what Osamu Tezuka did in freely borrowing the look and feel of Disney when creating his designs.

It's also remarkable that S. Korea's visual effects industry has reached the point where they're starting to compete with larger and better funded N. American studios.

But hey, keep on knocking down what you don't understand if it makes you feel better. <_<

Wow, that taekwondo video was awesomely fluid. Every little part of the body reacted to every move.

Call me a sucker for giant super robots, but I want to see wathever movie these people are making.

Considering when Taekwon V was designed and also considering the historic context of the design, it's no more or less than what Osamu Tezuka did in freely borrowing the look and feel of Disney when creating his designs.

It's also remarkable that S. Korea's visual effects industry has reached the point where they're starting to compete with larger and better funded N. American studios.

But hey, keep on knocking down what you don't understand if it makes you feel better. <_<

There's a difference in being influenced by the style of Disney films and taking a Go Nagai robot design and just slapping a new head on it.

The CG looks pretty good though.

Despite the obvious inspiration from Walt Disney, Osamu's creations are mostly original. Taekwon V on the otherhand, is a work of a wanker. Nevermind the intention... it's the outright copy of something original with minor modifications and calling it his own. Really, the studio choosing Taekwon V to flex its CG muscles just cheapens it more as a result.

Do we see a Mickey mouse look-alike running around with Ozamu's name on it? Or did someone misunderstood something so obvious here?

Hell, even the Disney team knows that enough to up with their own designs for the Lion King, a show that was inspired from one of Ozamu's works.

^_^

I actually quite like the mecha design myself, whether it is an imitation or adaptation. Turning a giant robot into a believable mecha design with immaculate realism and details gets my applause any day.

It reminds me of Sato's Fewture ExGokin Getter. Boy, I wish Fewture would turn it into an ExGokin with all those operable panels and engine thrusters you see in the clip. That would be so cool...

58.gif

Despite the obvious inspiration from Walt Disney, Osamu's creations are mostly original. Taekwon V on the otherhand, is a work of a wanker. Nevermind the intention... it's the outright copy of something original with minor modifications and calling it his own. Really, the studio choosing Taekwon V to flex its CG muscles just cheapens it more as a result.

Do we see a Mickey mouse look-alike running around with Ozamu's name on it? Or did someone misunderstood something so obvious here?

Hell, even the Disney team knows that enough to up with their own designs for the Lion King, a show that was inspired from one of Ozamu's works.

^_^

Sure sure, that's why Professor Ochanomizu doesn't look anything like the dwarves from Snow White, right? Because everything Osamu did was so original. Or is someone again mouthing off about something that he knows nothing about.

Sure sure, that's why Professor Ochanomizu doesn't look anything like the dwarves from Snow White, right? Because everything Osamu did was so original. Or is someone again mouthing off about something that he knows nothing about.

Not sure why you insist on the Tezuka straw man, but it's not really relevant and doesn't change the fact that Taekwon V is still a shameful rip-off.

Umm, I actually think the rendered design and movement is more like an bio-mecha than the old fashion super robot...it could easily be an Eva-001. :lol:

KoreanMecha.jpg

Uhm... have you guys ever heard if "import substitution"? It's a perfectly legal way of protecting the infant industries in a country, and was in effect in Korea at the time that the Taekwon V was originally produced.

Regarding it's design: keep in mind that it's not designed for us, non-fans of the original series. Perhaps it's best to consider it to be akin to Superman (if superman stopped being published for 30 or so years). One may tweak the design, but one doesn't change it into something new (case in point: Giant Robo, Gundam's Zaku, etc..; or the inverse: the crappy designs for the Hollywood Godzilla and Transformers) As much as the design may be unappealing to us, it's a classic for some.

Edited by sketchley

If Go Nagai told us that Taekwon V was the MK1.5 of Mazinger Z, then it's derivative work. If Gainax made a very different looking Taekwon V with subtle connections to Mazinger Z, we can accept that it's a homage. As it is... Taekwon V is a wank job from the 60s, regardless of what their law says.

But yeah maybe I shouldn't knock on this too much. I'd go totally ape-poo for Space Gandam V animated to such quality. It's something we'll never see in this lifetime from Kawamori.

^_^

If Go Nagai told us that Taekwon V was the MK1.5 of Mazinger Z, then it's derivative work. If Gainax made a very different looking Taekwon V with subtle connections to Mazinger Z, we can accept that it's a homage. As it is... Taekwon V is a wank job from the 60s, regardless of what their law says.

But yeah maybe I shouldn't knock on this too much. I'd go totally ape-poo for Space Gandam V animated to such quality. It's something we'll never see in this lifetime from Kawamori.

^_^

Head kind of reminds me of mazinger

The whole thing reminds me of the Mazinger bots. The feeling I get from it is Mazinkaiser, with a toned down head. Actually, makes me want to see a Mazinkaiser OAV done in this style.

Derivitive mecha design or not, the CG work is absolutely fantastic. There was a lot of work put into creating and rigging that CG model. The final rendering and animation is spectacular, and it doesn't look hokey like you'd expect those old super robot designs to be in a photorealistic environment.