One way to protect against yellowing

Jawjaw

Recently, I had the windows in my home tinted. You can get many different tint levels, some almost clear, that block 99% of the UV rays. Now I am not so nervous about leaving the windows open in my display room. The tint also blocks a lot of the heat and lowers utility costs so you can afford more toys in the long run. ;) If you have a lot of big windows like I do and don't want to hide your collection in the closet, it's worth checking out.

I am going to tint the windows of my car and keep the toys in there.

I figure I can put a 1/48 in battroid mode in the passenger seat and be able to use the carpool lane as well.

haha, I did that one time when I brought back my Fort max. He was as big as an infant child! :blink::p:D:lol:

Does that really work? Can anyone back that up? Allso the heat thing would be a hugeeeeeeeeee ++++ ! I wasl ike 38 here yesterday & that was a cool day! :lol:

Where/how do you get you're windows tinted? Does the size matter at all? I'm gona be puttign up some of my comics in glass frames & hanging it up so if I could get them all tinted that would be great too just for a lil extra protection

Guys, UV ray and heat are not the cause of plastic yellowing. Oxidation is. Yellowing on plastic is like rust on metal. You can't prevent it unless anti-oxidants are mixed into the plastic from the start.

Somebody ought to start kicking Yamato for the Anti-oxidants in the plastics they use. Even el-cheapo outdoor furniture and household items maker use them. Heck at least Bandai and Hasegawa are already using them for their model kits. CHEAP MODEL KITS!!! Don't the pricy Macross toys merit a similar treatment if not better Yamato?

Does that really work? Can anyone back that up? Allso the heat thing would be a hugeeeeeeeeee ++++ ! I wasl ike 38 here yesterday & that was a cool day! :lol:

Where/how do you get you're windows tinted? Does the size matter at all? I'm gona be puttign up some of my comics in glass frames & hanging it up so if I could get them all tinted that would be great too just for a lil extra protection

Here is who I used: SolarX. They are in my hometown but they tell you about the UV rays on the website. I had them put up three different levels of tint on my windows that block 45%, 56%, and 66% of the heat. Size does matter. The more square feet, the cheaper they can do it. So far, it seems to do as advertised.

I haven't had any problems with yellowing in Yamato's and only heard of a few that did. I don't expect my Yamato's to yellow but I do have some old toys that have a little.

Somebody ought to start kicking Yamato for the Anti-oxidants in the plastics they use. Even el-cheapo outdoor furniture and household items maker use them. Heck at least Bandai and Hasegawa are already using them for their model kits. CHEAP MODEL KITS!!! Don't the pricy Macross toys merit a similar treatment if not better Yamato?

You mean to say that Yamato's can turn yellow? Whatabout the bandai Reissues, those turn yellow also? I looked at my 1/60 VF-1S that I've had since they were released and it has not turned yellow and it has been out of the box ever since I got it. Same thing for my VF-19A which I've had even longer, and I don't store my toys in the boxes usually.. Cept for a few..

Isnt there a spray we can put on these Yammies to prevent the yellowing? You have to remember: UV, heat, and oxidation are contributing factors to yelowing, unless you have a vacuum sealed display case.

Edited by Godzilla

I can't buy toys that are going to yellow on me... Thats just gross.... Does this mean I can't buy a 1/48... Or that I shouldn't bother?! :(

Plastic yellowing aside, the 1/48ths are fantastic. That alone should compel you to get it. If plastic yellowing bothers you that much, you can consider getting the 1/48ths Max and Millia VF1J TV versions. The LowViz is also good. It's not that they won't yellow, they just won't turn out so obvious when they do yellow eventually. That's because of the color dyes they use for the plastics. When they do yellow, you'll notice that their colors are not as vibrant as they were new.

Skip anything DYRL for the unneccessary heartaches.